Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone planning to create units for the armies of Belgium, China, Finland, Greece, Hungary, and Romania? Just curious since we have the Polish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd eventually like to touch on most of the participants of WWII, but the minors may not receive any attention until after the game is sorted out again. The first few new modules will focus on the major powers, but if I can sneak some of the minors into each release I may do that.

It will also depend on the availability of models (or art) to produce the counters. I really care about how the game looks, and it costs me a little to find the items I need to produce the art, so it will be dependent on money, time, and what I can find to do acceptable, consistent counters.

-Barry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Will there be any major changes to the gameplay or just the art?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:

Neither, really. The maps and counters are bigger (more hexes on the maps), but the game and art will essentially remain the same. The bigger maps will allow me to put more terrain on each board, and make them more Squad Leader-esque. The counters will be 7/8" for infantry, and 1" for vehicles and Guns, but I'll give instructions for PNP folks who want to resize them to match the old counters.

In addition to the Standard Rules, the starter pack will have a Special Operations rules folder, which will add a few variant rules like para drops, glider operations, beach landings, convoy movement, etc. These rules will only be about 4 pages long, keeping in the spirit of V&V simplicity.

There are a few pieces of the early art that I'm not entirely happy with, especially the first infantry units, but they won't change for now. When I get the time I may redo them, but it's not a priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry, it's great to see you around the V&V site again lately! I never want to bug you, as I know you will share anything you have when you are good and ready. I will admit that I do carefully read every post you make for the game in eager anticipation of any details about your latest efforts. V&V Rocks!! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad hopper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
adam wilson wrote:

Neither, really. The maps and counters are bigger (more hexes on the maps), but the game and art will essentially remain the same. The bigger maps will allow me to put more terrain on each board, and make them more Squad Leader-esque. The counters will be 7/8" for infantry, and 1" for vehicles and Guns, but I'll give instructions for PNP folks who want to resize them to match the old counters.

In addition to the Standard Rules, the starter pack will have a Special Operations rules folder, which will add a few variant rules like para drops, glider operations, beach landings, convoy movement, etc. These rules will only be about 4 pages long, keeping in the spirit of V&V simplicity.

There are a few pieces of the early art that I'm not entirely happy with, especially the first infantry units, but they won't change for now. When I get the time I may redo them, but it's not a priority.

Will existing maps be usable with the new maps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
madhopper50 wrote:

Unfortunately, no, but I may also do an occasional "classic" map to continue the series. The hexes are the same size, just more of them on the new maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Austin
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
1- 2- 3- 4!- A- A- 5!
badge
110% Rally
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we have more than enough "fan" maps for the original PnP. whistle

... And Maps for the new system would probably be more appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mad hopper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
madhopper50 wrote:

Unfortunately, no, but I may also do an occasional "classic" map to continue the series. The hexes are the same size, just more of them on the new maps.

Thanks. Just trying to determine if I should order more pre-printed maps of the old style or wait for the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Barry.

I wish you well on the new version. As for myself, I am happy with what I have and have sunk too much money into it to hit the reset button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gittes wrote:

I wish you well on the new version. As for myself, I am happy with what I have and have sunk too much money into it to hit the reset button.

I understand, Sean. It's not really a full reset, though -- part of the plan is to make the items available a la carte, so the maps, scenarios, and even boxes will be available for those who simply want to add them to their existing sets.

And that's if you want printed versions from me -- everything will also be available for download through WargameVault, but not in an a la carte format. You can simply print what you need (or want) from the expansion set PDFs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1932f20 wrote:
Barry, it's great to see you around the V&V site again lately!

Thank you, Dan. It's nice to be back on a regular basis, and I hope I can even increase my participation this year.

1932f20 wrote:
I never want to bug you, as I know you will share anything you have when you are good and ready.

Nah, it's never a bother for me -- I enjoy hearing from everyone. In fact, I feel really bad that it's taken me this long to claw my way back to gaming, or working on V&V, but for several years I really lost ALL interest in games. I realize now I was suffering from hobby overload, so I forced myself to focus on -- and enjoy! -- the things I love the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, welcome back Barry

We are happy to keep the fire going while the Master enjoys his occasional Bahamas or The Mars Express whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Doyle
United States
Lynchburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
madhopper50 wrote:
Thanks. Just trying to determine if I should order more pre-printed maps of the old style or wait for the new one.

Well, the pre-printed old style maps (or counters, or rules...) weren't supposed to be available after last August. I wanted a little separation time between the old and the new, and not have folks diving too far into something I was likely phasing out.

Not sure what happened there, but it's (apparently) out of my hands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnglePark wrote:
gittes wrote:

I understand, Sean. It's not really a full reset, though -- part of the plan is to make the items available a la carte, so the maps, scenarios, and even boxes will be available for those who simply want to add them to their existing sets.

And that's if you want printed versions from me -- everything will also be available for download through WargameVault, but not in an a la carte format. You can simply print what you need (or want) from the expansion set PDF.

Excellent Barry. I can't promise I'll be a big customer for the next set (I literally printed everything) but that is encouraging if I want to expand further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hartlen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the system very much Barry. I look forward to whatever the new set is when it is made available. Especially if you add some CANADIANS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hartlen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle for Ortona! Operation Chesterfield! The Scheldt! Operation Veritable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Paquet
United States
South burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Giant_Squid wrote:
I enjoy the system very much Barry. I look forward to whatever the new set is when it is made available. Especially if you add some CANADIANS!

I second the Canadian unit expansion idea and I'd also like to see partisans units ( they could be very generic in nature to fit multiple area of conflict) and yugoslavs or romanian units. Actually, Finnish unit would be really cool as well ( we already have snow maps too ! )

For canadians units, couldnt they just be like typical british units with some equipement differences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.