Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Card Type Idea - Hotspots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
G DeWalt
msg tools
An idea for a new card type: Hotspots. Essentially, these are locations placed into the Villain deck that, when pulled, attach to City spaces and have an effect.

A couple initial ideas:

The Bar With No Name:


Vermin's Lair:


The keywords mean:

Discovery: indicates what to do when the card is revealed from the Villain deck. After resolving this, play the next card of the Villain deck.
Occupy: If there is a Villain in the same City space as the Hotspot, the Occupy effect applies.
Clear: Indicates what a player may do, during their turn, to remove the Hotspot. The Hotspot goes into that player's Victory pile.

Thoughts?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sounds like a good idea. Can't wait to see more.

I think for the bar with no name using recruit to clear it rather than attack may work better especially as the villain would gain bribe and it looks like the kind of place that would be corrupt. Also maybe you could have it that if the Maggia Goons enter this place bribe becomes void so you can only use attack?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The problem is, they essentially make the game easier.

Yes, they strengthen the villains in those spots, but on the other hand they also give you a turn to breathe as the villain deck did not progress this turn towards a lose condition.


So what you need is either:
1) draw an extra card from the villain deck
2) Increase the plot twists in the deck
3) Take out other stuff from the deck, like maybe reducing number of henchmen
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davinia
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
GrandMasterFox wrote:


So what you need is either:
1) draw an extra card from the villain deck
2) Increase the plot twists in the deck
3) Take out other stuff from the deck, like maybe reducing number of henchmen


I think gdewalt covered the first point in his description of discovery. but maybe it should be on the card too.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrell Archer
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love that the creative minds on this site aren't limiting themselves to new heroes or villains. As good as those are (and they are really very good), I'm amazed at the creative new card types and ideas that people are coming up with. Keep it up, and I may just have to start thinking creatively myself!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like it, and it reminds of an idea I had for a Villains set, where you put Ally cards in city spaces to show that you "control" them, and get Attack bonuses for fighting Adversaries in those spaces.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1273853/legendary-villa...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Iato
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of Hotspots as well. I find them a bit similar to Drashia's Event Cards:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/14128007#14128007
Did you know about them?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Tran
msg tools
I think Recruit points would be better fit for the Clear condition. You're not attacking the building, more like buying from the villains.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G DeWalt
msg tools
GrandMasterFox wrote:
The problem is, they essentially make the game easier.
Yes, they strengthen the villains in those spots, but on the other hand they also give you a turn to breathe as the villain deck did not progress this turn towards a lose condition.


Well, in the top post it notes that a new card from the Villain deck is played after the "Discover" action. I didn't want to put it on the cards if I could help it to keep from cluttering them up with something that's on all of them.

32vini2 wrote:

I think for the bar with no name using recruit to clear it rather than attack may work better especially as the villain would gain bribe and it looks like the kind of place that would be corrupt. Also maybe you could have it that if the Maggia Goons enter this place bribe becomes void so you can only use attack?


Hmm. Those are interesting ideas. I'll think about it, especially that Recruit to clear may be a good idea for the Bar With No Name.

brotheriato wrote:
I like the idea of Hotspots as well. I find them a bit similar to Drashia's Event Cards:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/14128007#14128007
Did you know about them?


I hadn't seen those. I think they occupy a bit of a different conceptual space -- those are effects from battle, whereas the Hotspots I see as getting some of the iconic locations from the comics into the game a little better. Your opinions may vary.

SoljaRTT wrote:
I think Recruit points would be better fit for the Clear condition. You're not attacking the building, more like buying from the villains.


I agree on the Bar. For Vermin's Lair, I prefer fight. I'm basing it on a couple stories from the comics where heroes have gone into the sewers after someone else, but have to deal with Vermin first who just hangs out down there. The fight requirement is essentially you have to clear him out to keep the Sewers clear for later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Foster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I quite like the idea that sometimes when fighting in the sewer you'll occasionally stumble upon the lizards lair.

Think whether you use recruit or attack depends on the location. Or maybe even some other means like discard a card or something. Just depends on what the location is I guess.

Think just treating discover as a keyword is enough to describe that a new card is drawn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G DeWalt
msg tools
fostorial wrote:
Think whether you use recruit or attack depends on the location. Or maybe even some other means like discard a card or something. Just depends on what the location is I guess.


Yeah, that's been my thought that the things you could do to clear the location could be just about anything. Like having a secret AIM base that gets defeated by KOing a tech hero or something.

Also been noodling beneficial spots. Like the Baxter Building would be a location that has a beneficial effect, but when too many Villains get to it it gets destroyed. Will try and whip up some more of these to explore a little more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Meeple
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
These look really cool. Honestly, I haven't played the game, but these still look like they would be fun to use.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Added to the Marvel Master Database...discovered these as I was adding the recommendations.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P W
msg tools
I really like it (we use 5 City Event cards--referenced earlier in the thread via link--as part of the Villain Deck now when we play). I would likely just add these in with those as options; however, 3 Victory Points are perhaps too many for a 3, 4, or 5 attack "Clear." Would suggest 1 VP, but I realize that's a minor thing. The main thing is THANKS so much for posting these.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rossoft rossoft
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Love this idea! Did you continue to design more cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.