Popular Tags: [View All]
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Introduction: The Hunting Horror is a pretty easy miniature to paint (and you can just do a wash) but, upon removing mold lines, I still found some seams in my models. Fortunately, it's also an easy introduction to gap filling, and you can get away with white glue, aka. the new painter's gap filler. (You'll still want to pick up some hobby gap filler, such as Milliput ($10 on Amazon) for later miniatures.) In the Mythos, the wings are "black rubbery", but illustrations vary in their depiction of the creature. I'll paint the miniature blue to match faction colors.

Supplies: Army Painter Quickshade Inks: Blue and black inks will be primarily used.

Supplies: Milliput: Milliput ($10 on Amazon) is a good general hobby epoxy used to fill in seams and gaps in miniatures. Massive Voodoo has a good tutorial on making a Milliput wash to fill in small gaps: http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2009/10/tutorial-filling-g...

Mold Lines: With an X-Acto knife ($5 at craft stores) and engraving pen ($10 at Harbor Freight), remove the mold lines. You may have a seam on the edge of the wings. Use gap filler to fill in the seams.

Gap Filler: White glue: For very simple seams, you can just use white glue. Put a little glue on a brush or your finger, fill in the seam and wipe off the excess with a wet finger. White glue cannot be filed when dry -- the entire "strip" of dried glue will come off.

Pretty hard to see the seams in the photo.
The camera lies, as usual!

Next: Priming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks buddy! More more!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Priming: I first primed the miniature completely in black, with black spray primer. Then, from overhead and 45 degree angles, I spray-primed in grey (optional) then white. This is called zenithal priming.

The glue gap filler worked fine for tabletop.

Next: Washes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Washes: I applied a black wash (Army Painter Dark Tone) to the base, and a blue wash to the figure. I also washed the mouth and teeth with Dark Tone (not pictured), although not as much as the with the base. The figures will look fine just with washes, and you can continue painting them later!

Not bad for a "glop and slop"!

Next: Eyes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic for glop and slop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only criticism I've seen about zenithal priming is that it can leave a 'dotted' or 'grainy' effect. I can't really see that in your pictures. Do you feel that is valid critique on the process? I'm wondering if the 'dotted' effect would also depend on whether you use canned spray primer vs an airbrush. I'm assuming that an airbrush would be a much finer spray and potentially leave less dots?

I'm really liking your tutorials and how your minis are turning out. It looks like an approach I might use when I get around to painting mine. From what I can see, it is way less time consuming and yields really good results with the CW minis. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the support!

Myself, I think the grainy effect is partially the result of not shaking the primer enough. I will spray a piece of scrap cardboard before priming to make sure the primer is working correctly. I've even had to clean out and switch can nozzles because the nozzle was partially clogged, so save those old cans! Also, you can just paint over the primer, using the wash as a guide. You can even wash the primer, then "dust" with white paint (or suitable lighter color), to reinforce shade and highlights. Whatever you can get to work!

I haven't used an air brush, but understand that you can use all sorts of zenithal effects, such as air-brushing a base coat and lighter colors. Amazon had a Badger air brush paint set and air brush on sale during their last holiday sale. I may skip a few KS projects because I have too many KS miniatures, and try out an air brush...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Details: For the eyes, I painted the sockets with bright gold paint. You can use any opaque red (Army Painter Glistening Blood), yellow (Army Painter Spikey Bone or Blonde Babe), or other color. If you do not have opaque red or yellow, paint pink or brown first as an undercoat. For the tongue, I mixed purple (Army Painter Toxic Boils) and grey (Army Painter Filthy Suit) about half and half to make a subdued purple-grey color (sort of like a dog tongue!). You can also carefully highlight the teeth with white (Army Painter Brainmatter Beige). Just make sure you have black paint (Army Painter Dead Black) and black wash (Army Painter Dark Tone) to correct mistakes.

Painting: If the miniature looks fine to you, you can always continue painting it later. Otherwise, using the shade as your guide, reinforce the darker parts of the miniature (eg. underside of wing membranes) with darker blue. For highlights, use the edge of your brush and a lighter blue color (Army Painter Wasted Jeans and Light Denim) on the edges. Paint the raised areas of the wings and body in lighter blue as well. For the base, paint the raised areas grey (Army Painter Filthy Suit) with controlled washes of black wash (Army Painter Dark Tone) in the recesses and runes of the base.

Not sure if the blue paint really did anything,
but it's off to the tabletop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take a similar approach with the airbrush and love your work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fyi I didn't do well with the badger airbrush. A big fan of my new iwata eclipse cs i ordered from amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Panda ThatsMe
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Thanks for the support!

Myself, I think the grainy effect is partially the result of not shaking the primer enough. I will spray a piece of scrap cardboard before priming to make sure the primer is working correctly. I've even had to clean out and switch can nozzles because the nozzle was partially clogged, so save those old cans! Also, you can just paint over the primer, using the wash as a guide. You can even wash the primer, then "dust" with white paint (or suitable lighter color), to reinforce shade and highlights. Whatever you can get to work!

I haven't used an air brush, but understand that you can use all sorts of zenithal effects, such as air-brushing a base coat and lighter colors. Amazon had a Badger air brush paint set and air brush on sale during their last holiday sale. I may skip a few KS projects because I have too many KS miniatures, and try out an air brush...!

Thanks for the feedback! Those Hunting Horrors turned out great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.