Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hien Nguyen Duc
Finland
Lappeenranta
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been playing Lagoon extensively over the last few days and came to that conclusion. Rarely in my games did I Move or Swap any tiles in play during the course of a game.

The play-making potential is there, but most of the time you'd better use your druids to explore, move or invoke other things, since at least those actions give you points or an advantaged position for your side. Move tiles and Swap tiles feel slow, and only serve as a way to slow down your opponent by the locking mechanic.

Sometimes because of how fast the druids can explore, if you spent 1 of your druid in your turn just to lock a tile and deny your opponent from unraveling it, your opponent can still unlock the tile pretty fast, or just go and do other profitable things. That action that was spent to move/swap tiles then become a tempo hit, and slow you down substantially. In a tight game like this, even 1 action is really important. Moreover, at the end of the game you often can't afford to use your action to move/swap tiles because the game is a race at the last few tiles. I also feel a little 1st-player's advantage, but that's another story.

That leads to several blue tiles feel under-utilized. Other blue tiles that involve explore or unravel, however, are so good that overshadow all the Move/Swap tiles.

Maybe I'm a Hive player, so I was expecting a little bit more denial using the Move/Swap mechanic. I hope in the future maybe an expansion or a variant can improve that. Hex tiles are good because of locking mechanic, and if the Move/Swap tiles actions are under-utilized then it feels a bit disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like when you're a beginner, the easiest strategy to grasp is the yellow one. But once you start to master the game, more subtle strategies emerge, such as moving tiles in order to lock some critical places. Keep at it. It's part of the natural learning curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't moving a tile also potentially block an opponent from moving to certain tiles? That seems like it could be a strong action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hien Nguyen Duc
Finland
Lappeenranta
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As I said, in my experience, locking tiles is just a way to deny/slow your opponent. It doesn't really gain you any advantage. If you have the resource to do so, that means you're already ahead, or don't have any strictly better things to do.

In a game like Hive, with similar locking/hex movement mechanic, players fight for positioning so you always want to move. But in Lagoon you also fight for points, which came from Unraveling/Exploring, and the game tempo is really aggressive, so you don't always have the opportunity to just spend your resource to block your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
We played our first 2 games last night. I can say we rarely moved tiles or swapped them. The tile that lets you unravel the site your eldrid is on a seemed a bit over powered. Since we have only played 2 games i am sure more strategies will develop, but it seemed like we were trying to explore, move summon, and unravel using this tile most of the time. The result ended up being a sort of luck of the tile draw thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Guillyberto wrote:
We played our first 2 games last night. I can say we rarely moved tiles or swapped them. The tile that lets you unravel the site your eldrid is on a seemed a bit over powered. Since we have only played 2 games i am sure more strategies will develop, but it seemed like we were trying to explore, move summon, and unravel using this tile most of the time. The result ended up being a sort of luck of the tile draw thing.

Moving/swapping tiles is handy when it comes to locking/unlocking tiles which will either help/prevent tiles from being unravel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hien Nguyen Duc
Finland
Lappeenranta
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
Moving/swapping tiles is handy when it comes to locking/unlocking tiles which will either help/prevent tiles from being unravel

Yes it's supposed to be so. But in my experience the best way to lock/unlock tiles is (surprise!) explore.

Actually if you use the 2nd suggested starting setup (Floating In Paradise), the early part of the game see the use of tile movement a lot. That setup has a blue haven, and very often it's used to lock other tiles from being unraveled. That's my most favorite setup. But other than that, I rarely use move/swap power on blue tiles.

I really hope an expansion will make the move/swap tile actions on blue tiles more usable, without making other blue tiles overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
kyokorebit wrote:
belial1134 wrote:

Yes it's supposed to be so. But in my experience the best way to lock/unlock tiles is (surprise!) explore.

Actually if you use the 2nd suggested starting setup (Floating In Paradise), the early part of the game see the use of tile movement a lot. That setup has a blue haven, and very often it's used to lock other tiles from being unraveled. That's my most favorite setup. But other than that, I rarely use move/swap power on blue tiles.

I really hope an expansion will make the move/swap tile actions on blue tiles more usable, without making other blue tiles overpowered.

I should add I've played it 3 or 4 times and it's always been with 4 so it's 2 vs 2. Perhaps there's been more swapping/moving to try and help set up your teammate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late into this thread, but...

I'm certainly finding that, the more I play, the more use I find for Vowelon (Move) and Deonin (Reposition) powers.

Nonetheless, Elemeen (refresh/summon) remains the favourite because it's so versatile. Once a druid has been refrreshed, it could move (like a red Vowelon power would let it do) but it could also carry out a range of other tasks: invoking, exploring, summoning, unravelling.

Because of this, you'll always find more use for yellow Elemeen powers than red Vowelon ones.

The only exceptions to this are the small handful of Vowelon sites that let you move a druid by exhausting/exiling a different druid (Grizznant springs to mind). The beauty of this is that a non-exhausted druid can be moved to a site where it then carries out an unravelling action in the same turn.

I think Vowelon is doomed to runner-up status, though once in a while it finds its uses.

Blue Deonin is another matter altogether and the more I play, the more I appreciate the importance of locking tiles and unlocking others. Deonin sites that let you _swap_ tiles are especially useful for getting you favoured tiles into locked positions and getting your enemies' tiles out into the open where you can unravel them. The game is won or lost on unravelling, and once you realide that and start playing with that fcus, you find all sorts of uses for Deonin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.