Subject: Gateway Games and the Collection Starters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been an avid board gamer for almost a year now, so I'm newer than most of you with tabletop gaming. With that in mind, I was curious about something. I have a weird personal gateway game that started my plunge into the hobby and I'm wondering what your personal gateway game was. What really lit the fuse that ended you dumping a good portion of your income on cardboard and plastic?

Additionally, what was the very first game you bought to begin your collection? This is different from a gateway game, since I would imagine in a lot of cases, a friend lit the cardboard fire under your butt with his own game.

My gateway game was Arkham Horror. Which, having been in the hobby nearly a year now, I realize is a bit of a strange gateway game. I suppose that's the sort of gaming friends I have.

My very first purchase to begin my collection was Smash Up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first hobby game I played was also Arkham Horror. A friend of mine got it for me for my birthday based on my interest in Lovecraft's writing.

The first game I purchased for myself to start my collection was also Smash Up. Seriously, for a split second, I wondered if I had written the OP and forgot about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! The odds on that have to be pretty small, given the breadth of options out there. Maybe I underestimated Smash Up's popularity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne, Blokus Trigon E Arkham Horror, but things really took off at BSG, and still continues (more than 100 plays of Galactica and 40+ games and 20+ expansions later, and a dozen or two games from other group members).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Seidler
United States
Fair Lawn
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre->Car Wars, Talisman, Nuclear War and so many others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Bartley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Wait a second... Jay Jones and Nathan Norton, both with alliterative names, both also played and bought the same first games? Creepy.

A few of my old friends used to get together for Risk or poker every once in a while, and that expanded a bit. Over the last few years they tried to have an occasional game night (a few times a year, with everyone's busy schedules), including spouses and significant others, and playing classics like Scattergories and Trivial Pursuit. My wife and I both loved games as kids, and have a lot of 80's-90's games in our amalgamated collection, but we had no idea about the new gaming renaissance, euro games, etc. We just liked to play.

Eventually they started introducing newer games, and we played a few that I remember like The Resistance and Ticket to Ride. That was the one that hooked my wife, and got me thinking about new games. There were enough people that we had to play in teams, and my wife and a friend's wife started out saying "Oh, sure, we'll just sit here and be on your "team" while you play your little train game" (cue eye roll and laughter). Then about 2 turns in my friend and I were pushed completely out of the game while they took over and played for us with a vengeance. It was a fun night, and got us looking around for more.

Then a friend pointed me to TableTop, and it was easy to watch and learn more about some really cool games. The first one we bought that I consider part of the "new gaming" genre, instead of the more mass market type was Forbidden Island. It was also our first coop game, which we seem to like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OJ Bartley wrote:
Wait a second... Jay Jones and Nathan Norton, both with alliterative names, both also played and bought the same first games? Creepy.

Right? I was not prepared for that when I poured my coffee this morning.

OJ Bartley wrote:
Then a friend pointed me to TableTop, and it was easy to watch and learn more about some really cool games. The first one we bought that I consider part of the "new gaming" genre, instead of the more mass market type was Forbidden Island. It was also our first coop game, which we seem to like.

Tabletop was also the beginning of the rabbit hole for me. First few games I bought were Smash Up, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic and Say Anything. Then I started learning about games from other sources (and joined BGG), and now there's no looking back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Shelley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
They call him Cuban Pete..
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose technically Poker was my gateway game as that then lead me to Magic: The Gathering, however the first game that turned me on to board games in particular was the DC Comics Deck-Building Game which a couple of MTG friends taught me at a local MTG event. I enjoyed it so much that I knew I had to buy it and ended up buying The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game as the theme was more appealing to me and I knew it would be more appealing to my friends too, after that I never looked back ,and I successfully pulled those friends in to the hobby too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first that pulled me into tabletop gaming was Magic: The Gathering and did that ever pull me in big time!

The first non-MtG board/card game I played was Dominion and after MtG, was completely bland and pointless. Good thing I didn't stop there.

The first non-MtG board/card game I bought was Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and that got me hooked onto board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hillis
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Years Eve of 2013 one of my friends brought Power Grid to our little get together. My wife and I loved it so much that we went to Barnes and Noble later that week and bought a copy, admittedly at quite a higher price than necessary. The other couple playing with us didn't have the same reaction that we did, although the husband is coming around.

After gaming for a little over a year now I now have quite a few other games to bring in new players but Power Grid is still up there as one of my wife and mine's favorite games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OJ Bartley wrote:

Oh holy crap, I didn't even notice that. That certainly is yet another oddity. Tell me...do you have a daughter named after a flower, Jay Jones?

And I will add my hat to the Wil Wheaton ring as well. Really, it was him and Rodney Smith with Watch It Played that pushed me off the cliff. I still don't think there's a clearer game explainer out there other than Rodney. Because of him, I got Legendary, Rampage, and a couple others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wil Wheaton's TableTop got me interested. Rodney Smith's Watch It Played got me hooked. After watching both their episodes about Small World I went out and bought it. It's been non-stop ever since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Solt
United States
Palmerton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was into MTG and Marvel Superheroes RPG. Me and my friends would get together every so often to play those. One christmas, one of the group bought us all Heroclix, but we never stopped to learn the game. For some reason, that escapes me, I bought Carcassone Big Box 3, then that stayed in the box for the longest time. At the same time, i was collecting board games from my youth. I would hit up yard sales, flea markets and the like. To this point, I still wasn't playing board games.

My daughter started getting interested in super heroes and comics, so I broke out the old Heroclix. Then called all the guys (we had stopped getting together at this point) and asked for all the Heroclix that were bought for us. All but one gave them up. So we started making teams and playing that.

Fast forward a bit and I am at a party in Philly. The person's house we were staying at had Carcassone. I took up the box and was just looking at it and I was asked if I wanted to play. We stayed up until 4AM with that game. So when I got home, I broke out my copy and started playing.

At about the same time, one of my friends kept making Facebook posts about some game called Munchkin. It looked interesting and being a fan of RPG I saw the joke. I started talking about it and one day, it was bought for me. I really didn't understand the rules so off to Youtube for some type of instruction video.

Found Wil Wheaton's Tabletop and watched all of the videos. Then my collection started to grow. I blame Wheaton for where I am today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was bored one day and felt like some social interaction. I had heard folks talking about boardgames online and thought the idea of a co-op game was revolutionary. I went and purchased Shadows over Camelot and played it with a friend that weekend. So it was both for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Goulding
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
badge
What a productive day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan was the first game I bought so that's very much my gateway game.

My parents gateway game is Pandemic. That made them realise that modern board gaming could be slick, exciting, have great themes yet still be easy to learn and play.

Any game can be a gateway game, the most important thing is that the game you use suits the audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nathertater wrote:
What really lit the fuse that ended you dumping a good portion of your income on cardboard and plastic?

Additionally, what was the very first game you bought to begin your collection?

I purchased Pandemic late in 2009 after reading about it on BGG. That got me hooked on gaming with other adults as a viable activity. Weeks later I purchased Arkham Horror in hopes of filling an itch for an RPG-type experience without enough people for a proper RPG.

Interestingly, Arkham was also the first game I traded away and the Dunwich expansion was the first game I sold.

EDIT: Upon further review, I was mistaken. Dunwich was my first trade (for a fantastic heap of Combat Commander:Europe that I love). Arkham went later for Battlelore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I am ignoring Avalon Hill games that I bought in the 1970s and 80s and also the many sports games I purchased over a period of several decades. I am also ignoring SETTLERS OF CATAN, which I bought on a whim a few years prior to 2008 and didn't play very often.

In 2008, I found a game store a few towns away from where I live. I wandered in one day and immediately wanted to buy a copy of almost every game on the shelves. I ended up buying 5 or 6 games that day. I don't remember all of them, but I'm sure I bought:

Pandemic - One of the store employees told me it was all the rage, so I bought it.

Marvel Heroes - Because I'm a fan of Marvel Comics.

Big Sunday Football - Because I love football.

1960: The Making of the President - Because it looked like an interesting strategy game.

I'm not sure of what other games I bought, but I think one of them may have been Wings of War: Burning Drachens.

I ended up going back to that store one or two times per week for at least a couple of months. I bought about 3 - 6 games every time I went. Eventually, the store closed and I discovered the world of OLGS. And that brings us right up to 2015 . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered a game night at a local comic book store and I think the first game I played was Colosseum. Although really, I would have been hooked after almost any game.

The first game I bought was probably Bohnanza, a game my kids in particular like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jones
United States
Lagrange
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nathertater wrote:

Oh holy crap, I didn't even notice that. That certainly is yet another oddity. Tell me...do you have a daughter named after a flower, Jay Jones?

Sadly, it seems the similarities end there. It was a wild ride, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone on a video game site said that Memoir 44 made Risk look like a joke. I bought it and then saw the YouTube videos about games and wanted to experience it all at once. Over the last year I've built my collection and learned a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends liked to get together and play Settlers of Catan... I don't really dig it, but everything expanded off of that!

First thing I purchased towards my current board game addiction was Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition that my wife picked up at a garage sale for $3... it was completely unopened! Although we only played it once, it started both my wife and I on board gaming as a daily hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Growing up, I played board games with my family (mostly Ravensburger games). I got into ccgs in high school and also D&D 2nd edition. I think that Munchkin was our gateway game, that and Small World. We bought both pretty early on. We rarely play Munchkin anymore, but I would happily play a game of it again. We were also introduced to Runebound and Shadows over Camelot pretty early on and enjoy both of them, too. Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride came into our collection pretty early too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shifty203 1
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride was the first game I played that made me realize there was more games than just monopoly and life from the deparment stores. Shortly after I discovered Wil's Tabletop show, and then it started....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Burk
United States
Frankfort
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've loved games all my life. But the game that turned my love into a full blown passion for gaming is Magic: The Gathering.

MtG was probably my first purchase, too; however, my first actual hobby board game purchase would be Castle Panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinking Coffee
Canada
Niagara
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Like many others in this thread, MtG was my gateway drug into nonvideo games.

However, my first real board gaming experience was with Spartacus, and then The Walking Dead shortly after.

A week later I bought Pandemic, and played with my family. That started the ball rolling and it has stopped since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.