Subject: Move +, move ++ clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rich bran
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
The rules state about moving double or triple the movement spaces allowed when using a move action on a unit with move+ or move++, it also states it's only used to pay for moving out of s, or r terrain modifiers. Can you move multiple spaces out of the terrain modifiers or just one, when can you use the double and triple movement actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Billings
United States
Upperco
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two cases in your question.

The first is a soldier is slowed by terrain and has no MOVE+ or MOVE++ marker under them. In that case playing an Action card that allows 3 movement actions by 1 soldier can allow that soldier to move 3 times distinctly in one Phase. As you apply the Move actions to the soldier the Move+ and Move++ markers will grow and be used as part of movement. At the end of the Phase it is possible to have a Move+ or Move++ marker on the soldier. This first case is a rolling application of the Move+ and Move++ markers to movement.

The second one is a bit different. You start with no marker and play a card that has Move and Move Again in the same action. But an opponent PREEMPTS your action and applies The Move action to a soldier you don't want to move first. You can play a Move+ and Move++ marker and fulfill the required move action and NOT LOSE THE MOVE. In this one narrow case the action is indicated and not used. Then after satisfying the PREEMPT you play other soldier normally, Then you REACT and move the PREEMPTED soldier with a card that allows Movement. In that case the stored marker is used for movement (removed) and the REACT movement continues the soldiers movement, all in the same phase. This can allow the soldier to cover multiple squares in 1 Phase.

Even though the actions are separate there is only one Phase of movement.

These timing effects are really rare in the practical game play. But because they are possible I try and cover them in the rules. Great question, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JB, I think you should also edit the rules so that you delineate two separate cases: one for soldiers, the other for vehicles in the use of the Move+ and Move++ markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Pseudonym
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear: the Move+ and Move++ are ONLY for storing up Moves to pay movement restrictions. NOT to store up Move Actions that would allow a soldier to move two or three times his distance when the Move Action applied to the solder is a single move. Right?

So in Rich's question, you COULD move multiple times out of a restricted terrain provided you ALREADY had stored up a Move+ or Move++ (whichever you need) and applied a card to the soldier that allowed that soldier to Move and Move again and/or his Dogtag action.

To clarify for Rich, you can move a soldier twice if the card says "2 Soldiers Move and Move Again" (or 1 soldier or 3 soldiers...etc) OR if the card says X-many Soldiers Move and the card belongs to one of the soldiers being selected to move (his Dogtag on the card). However if the card says X Soldiers Move and Move Again *and* it belongs to one of the moving soldiers then that soldier could Move (dogtag) and Move and Move Again (card bubble)= 3 Moves.

To clarify for me, Jeff B-you are saying that if I am forced to move a soldier who has Move+ marker due to Preemption, I can instead burn the marker in place of actually moving said soldier?

-Jeff M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skippykaos wrote:
JB, I think you should also edit the rules so that you delineate two separate cases: one for soldiers, the other for vehicles in the use of the Move+ and Move++ markers.

The online rules (at least HTML) only show Walk in the box currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
skippykaos wrote:

The online rules (at least HTML) only show Walk in the box currently.

I'm talking about page 16 and specifically the fourth and fifth paragraphs. Would everyone agree these two paragraphs refer to vehicles only? If so, perhaps they cab be subtitled "For Vehicles Only."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The grid originally had more than Walk. But I'm not sure what you mean by separate cases. Seems like the same rule to me; a unit can only use the Move+/++ to overcome a barrier, not to exceed their maximum movement value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rich bran
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Where the confusion is for me is pg: 16, "When a move action is played on a unit that has a move+ ,double the number of squares available to move, and if it is a move++, triple the move available". Seems to suggest I could use the move+ or move++ to store up movement for later and move 2 or 3 spaces with one move order. - Then on pg: 20, "The move+ and move++ is about paying the movement cost of a square before leaving it". Seems to suggest to me that it is only used as payment for moving out of certain terrain and not being able to use it for storing movement to move multiple spaces with one move order. Hopes this makes sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery McCulloch
United States
Buda
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mell444 wrote:
Where the confusion is for me is pg: 16, "When a move action is played on a unit that has a move+ ,double the number of squares available to move, and if it is a move++, triple the move available". Seems to suggest I could use the move+ or move++ to store up movement for later and move 2 or 3 spaces with one move order. - Then on pg: 20, "The move+ and move++ is about paying the movement cost of a square before leaving it". Seems to suggest to me that it is only used as payment for moving out of certain terrain and not being able to use it for storing movement to move multiple spaces with one move order. Hopes this makes sense

Yes, you have it in a nutshell. It should be rewritten in its entirety to make better sense. for sodiers, it is used to get out of tough spot, for vehicles, it is a movement multiplier for normal, non-restricted movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How I keep it straight:

*As a move action I can place a Move+ or Move++ marker on a soldier.
*As soon as a marked soldier enters a new square, I remove all markers.

George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.