Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the Summoner Wars master but have struggled to get it to the table, I was hoping that this new set would coax some life in, but I don't know anyone else that plays the game really so I'm forced to use what cards I have.

As such the concept of having to deckbuild with these guys is a little off-putting. Can I just buy this set as it is and not have to tweak every single deck? I do wish more players in the South played this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, deckbuilding is not required. This set contains 8 decks already built and ready to play. The only Summoner Wars products (aside from promos, dice, etc.) that require deckbuilding are the reinforcement packs, as they are not complete decks. All Master Sets, Faction decks, Second Summoner decks, and Starter Sets can be played as-is with no deckbuilding at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've only played the Alliances decks as-delivered, without deckbuilding. I've played (as or against) them all, and they're all sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need at all. If you have a group that is more competitive or want to play in tournaments, it's highly recommended you deckbuild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, makes life simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Even some tournaments are base decks only too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I too wish i had more people to play with. So far have only played my wife mostly. Glad she is a good sport and decent competitor. But would like to play more and with more people. I'm in chicago land, and think there must be players around, but hard to find them. I wish there was tournament scene for this game, and/or more casual games. Most of the action i get is on the iOS, and that is very limited in the factions. I love the 2nd summoners and Alliances more than most of the original 16 factions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Vickers
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
I love Summoner Wars, I own the master set, the faction decks, some second summoners and now the Alliances master set, and I have never done any deckbuilding with it.

I like being able to just quickly bust out two ready made decks, and be confident that they will be reasonably balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They make a huge effort to make sure the decks are balanced as is and all of the decks work well as is (you will like some decks better than others, obv.).

If deckbuilding appeals to you but you don't want to get overwhelmed, an easy way to dip your toe in is to "splash" in just a few cards. This is essentially swapping out one or two cards for the same type without the need totally build a deck. . It's a great way to try out some new play styles and surprise your opponents without needing to be too involved or spend a lot of time reconstructing the base deck.

Say you love a certain base faction but really never use a particular champion. Swap that champion out for another legal champion. Technically you are deckbuilding, but without obsessively buying or spending hours of setup.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.