Popular Tags: [View All]
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My next project is "what's important playing red". Anyone have any suggestions? I AM something of a compiler here, as while I have watched many games at WBC, I don't actually play B2 as published.

Lew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm..I've had a really hard time of it as red fairly consistently, although that could be a play-style thing. I'd say:

Protect the Brigantes; the points for holding Strathclyde in scoring rounds are a big deal.

Don't overextend with the Saxons. Keep an eye on who's going to invade from where, because everybody wants to squeeze your territory. Try to get everybody to leave you alone in favor of beating up on Blue. Point out how the Angles are too big for their britches and are going to keep scoring bonus points for Bretwalda, so the R-Bs should go weaken them, not beat up on you. Take Cornwall and Devon with the Irish. The purpose here is to give the Welsh something better to do than attacking you in Western England. If they spend their strength fighting your Irish in the mountains, they won't be picking at the Saxon border. (Although having the Welsh run to York will weaken the Angles and help your Saxons too.)

Point out how the shared border between the Angles and the Picts makes them too strong; you want a bloodbath between all three colors in Scotland both to let you sneak into Strathclyde and to make room for the Norsemen.

(I really feel, and I don't love this, that the best hope for red is manipulating the other players against one another. Maybe I'm just missing something. The Saxons are supposed to be strong and numerous, but I keep seeing them not quite take hold like they did in Brit 1.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Van Voorn
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely include the ability of Red, more than other colours, to have his peoples cooperate. The Irish are perfect to cover the flanks of the Saxons by attacking the Welsh. The Norse and Brigs can aid each other as well.

Early in the game, assemble your Brigs, occupy only three areas and kill some Romans. Then submit. Persuade the Welsh to attack/resist against the Romans to weaken them against the coming Irish.

Your main enemy is Green. Saxons/Irish fight Welsh, Saxons fight Jutes and Norse fight Caledonians. However, if you let this happen, Blue will be victorious (although Yellow is also quite strong in Brit2). Key point thus is to prevent this from happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Pulsipher
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Draft of Red strategy page
What’s important when playing Red to Win in Britannia Second Edition
(I have deliberately limited this to one page; there is one page of overall advice. Lewis Pulsipher)

Every color in Britannia must be played as a whole, not as separate nations, if you want to win consistently. It is worth sacrificing armies or points of one nation to improve the points or position of another by a greater amount. The action of armies at one end of the board can affect those at the other, in the long run. Remember, at a given time position is just as important as the number of armies or number of points scored so far.

Red has more opportunities for his nations to work together than any other color. The Irish and Saxons can be very hard on the Welsh, Saxons and Brigantes often are fighting Angles, Norsemen can help keep Brigantes alive (and even distract the Welsh), and so forth.

The Saxons are the biggest scorer, though the Brigantes can score a lot, and so can Norsemen. If the Saxons score poorly, it will be hard for Red to win. If they do very well, it will be hard for others to prevent Red from winning.

Red and Blue can score far more than Green and Yellow. Some people see the game as Blue fighting with Yellow in the north while Green struggles with Red in the south. If Red and Blue cooperate, the other two nations are probably in trouble. But the Angles and Saxons have many incentives to fight one another, as do Angles and Brigantes.

Red certainly has many opportunities to fight Green, Irish and Saxons against Welsh, Saxons against Jutes, Norse against Caledonians. But if you get into a “struggle to the death” with Green, one of the other colors will win, not you.

Brigantes almost always submit to the Romans. They try to find a good position occupying three areas, from which to grow after submission in order to be strong in the face of Blue (and the Scots). A deal can sometimes be made with the Romans, who have other matters to attend to such as keeping the Picts in check to help the Scots later on. The Irish are often sacrificed to keep the Welsh in check while the Saxons grow. The Norse natural enemy is the Caledonians, but they have many choices depending on the strategic situation for Red.

Red often takes Cornwall and Devon (“south Wales”) in order to distract the Welsh from more valuable (to the Red) lands. The Irish sometimes survive the entire game in south Wales. If the Welsh leave just one defender in “holy Powys” it is usually worth a 3-1 attack.

Brigantes often retreat to Galloway in non-point turns, then come out to hold Strathclyde for the big points.

Even if the Saxons “max out” their armies in mid-game, they can be nearly wiped out, and Harold killed, at the end of the game. But this does not prevent Red from winning.

The Norse are your most mobile group: send them where they’ll do the most harm to your enemies!

My thanks to contributors to these short strategy pieces, in particular “the Black Prussian” (UK), Torben Mogensen (Denmark), Yann Clouet (France), and George Van Voorn (Netherlands), among others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.