Popular Tags: [View All]
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had an odd thing when I went to my FLGS to preorder Battlelore. I asked to preorder it, and was told that they didn't usually preorder anything, but they would have it when it came out, so I could just buy it then.

No no no, I said, there's a promo figure that you can only get if you preorder, so it's important to me to preorder. I offered to go ahead and prepay a portion of the price in case it was a trust issue, too. And they DID say they would pre-order it, finally, but I'm curious. Can any of you who are more familiar with the industry explain to me why a store would initially turn down a customer's request to preorder something? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johnson
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same issue for me last week - after the clerk found an employee who even knew about pre-order, they had no clue about the figure.

Didn't matter as when she said said it was 70 beans, I promptly hit Thoughthammer. No fig, but oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If its a COPO preorder, then it is just the FLGS syndrome (where FLGS stands for freaking lazy game store).

Hello, I'd like to give you a sale today for a product that doesn't even come in for months. Oh, you don't want my money because you can't stop playing WoW on the register computer long enough to take down my name?

Hello, thoughthammer.

Edit: COPO=cash on pre-order. Thats what they used to say in my friendly local game store, I don't know what they say in yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Our local store hemmed and hawed about it. They have a great selection of stuff (ranging from Euro to a moderate grognard area), but when I pre-ordered Caylus from them, they dropped the ball ... several local stores got it but they didn't. Nobody does everything well, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't think it was a lazy issue, honestly. I've been going to this FLGS for about 25 years and it's definitely One Of The Good Ones. The proprietor is a very attentive gentleman who understands good customer service, I just got the impression that they don't normally pre-order things, and it seemed that there must be some sort of financial reason. Does that make sense to anyone, or is it just a quirk of my FLGS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Same problem. I went to 2 FLGS's. One had never heard of the game while the other one had just gotten the promos in. They wouldn't take a pre-order for the same reason, they didn't feel comfortable taking money before the game came out. If I was going to pay full retail, the advantage of a FLGS was getting the promo early. They ended up losing the sale when that night I found a store online that was offering the promo and a discount (apparently they are a B&M store with a web presence). I ended up getting it for ~$61 shipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they plan on selling the promo figures on Ebay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Can any of you who are more familiar with the industry explain to me why a store would initially turn down a customer's request to preorder something? Thanks!

It's fear.

Lots of small business people have tunnel vision. They get into a "groove" they're comfortable with and they resist change. I routinely pounded my competition for over twenty years by risking. By buying enough to make displays and by having things other competitors didn't.

In the 70's, when I shopped at a store in California (hobby store with games) I practically had to beg the guy to even special order a game... and he was reluctant even when I laid the money on the counter up front.

The newest FLGS here is already suffering the same syndrome. They have a "budget" and getting them to think outside their little budgetary box is a chore. I repeatedly pitch them on games like BattleLore and even then the manager initially only pre-ordered two copies. That was after I guaranteed him three sales. They now have 6 on pre-order and I've chewed him out for ordering such a weak number.

Most local merchants have made huge buying errors, some of which caused their store to teeter on the brink of failure. Every close call just builds up resistence to risk.

The reason my store did as well as it did is I'm an adrenaline junkie. I lusted for the challenge and never once considered I would fail. When Talisman was reprinted as a one-shot deal I bought 25 copies at a $75 retail. The other two stores bought one or two.

My gloat-o-meter went off the scale when lots of their regulars came to me to buy that game... and then became regulars at my store.

My plan is to educate the manager of the newest local store and guide him gently through the darkness of his own fear of failure. Just take the nice man's hand Denise, tell him it's going to all be okay and then abrubtly push him off the edge of the cliff.

He'll thank you for it later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Hall Games in Austin took my order, no problem. But, they know I like Memoir so it was a no brainer for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
My plan is to educate the manager of the newest local store and guide him gently through the darkness of his own fear of failure. Just take the nice man's hand Denise, tell him it's going to all be okay and then abrubtly push him off the edge of the cliff.

He'll thank you for it later.

LOL! Well, since this man was white-haired when I FIRST started shopping there around 1980, the cliff may not work! But seriously, DW, thanks for the explanation. It's kind of a sad explanation, but it DOES make his initial reaction make a little more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
fanaka66 wrote:
I found a store online that was offering the promo and a discount (apparently they are a B&M store with a web presence). I ended up getting it for ~$61 shipped.

Care to share the URL?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into this problem in San Diego as well, at one of the very few decently operated game/hobby stores nonetheless. I had tried to pre-order War of the Ring WAAAY back when. They told me I should just call them on the day of the release (of course, they had no idea exactly WHEN it would arrive) to "Reserve a copy."

Of course, I couldn't reserve a copy then, I would have to call the day OF. And I was told not to worry because they would have plenty. As it turned out, I ended up getting the 2nd to last copy they had.

Ran into the same situation with Arkham Horror too.

However, in San Francisco, I haven't had any troubles with Gamescape. I order about half my stuff online and buy half via Gamescape. Haven't made up my mind about Battlelore (I know I want it, but the wife is pressuring me to hold off buying anything before Christmas... but I wants me the PRECIOUS!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
That's pretty funny, dead eye,

I love Gamescape too, but after swinging by three or four times, leaving my name and number twice, I finally gave up and went across the Bay to Endgame. I still think Gamescape is great, and the guys there are always friendly and helpful, but I'm not sure why they weren't keen on this - though I did get the impression from one conversation that they get quite a few offers of promotions for new games, so perhaps this one never really got on their radar? Plus I'm impatient as heck...

Anyway, I think Endgame still has a few promos left, if you can convince your wife!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
My FLGS (Meredith, NH) has jumped all over this one. Got my Hill Giant yesterday. He managed to snag a pre-release copy from DOW, and I got to play it last night!!!!!
http://www.geeksandgamersonline.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
My FLGS is debating about ordering Battlelore at all - i.e. will the higher price justify the stock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've checked with my local store Comic Quest and was told they are looking into it and might know something this week. I told them that I'd only preorder it if they could guarantee the Hill Giant promo. But I might just go ahead and order it direct online since the cost difference is so minimal (no tax online and shipping is just abit more then what local tax is). I don't want to order it from them in fear they don't get the promo then get screwed when its too late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean Gamescape SF because the Gamescape in San Rafael is taking pre-orders - I saw the shipment of Hill Giants they've received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
How did they receive a shipment of hill giants already... i thought this game ships at the end of November? Are preorders already being received?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With about a half hour invested on Google, I found a game store selling the game online for $53 WITH the Hill Giant included. Plus they offer FREE shipping on orders over $50!surprise So it actually came out cheaper than Thoughthammer. It looks like a small mom and pop that I'd never heard of so I hope they come through. I did email them to confirm that the promo was included and they responded quickly to say that it was, and that they would even ship the figure right away if I wanted to pay seperatly for the shipping.

www.howyouplaythegame.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_grip wrote:
How did they receive a shipment of hill giants already... i thought this game ships at the end of November? Are preorders already being received?

They don't have the game yet, they just have the hill giants for some odd reason. Endgame was the same - they had a hill giant displayed behind the counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Forsythe
United States
Strafford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
the_grip wrote:

As said above. For stores that pre-order the game now, they get a Hill Giant for each game. So Hill Giants are in stores now, but the game won't be out for a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Catherine von Xlorp
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
Sly like a duck
badge
Try the biscuits
mbmbmbmbmb
I placed a pre-order with Legends at Vallco mall (San Jose, CA). Over the phone and no charge till I pick it up. Of course I've plunked down my share of coin of the realm there over the years.

The F in LGS grows if it's a two-way street.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"how you play the game" is the premier game store in the Syracuse area. They shouldn't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Hi Paul,
This was in SF. Perhaps they'll come around, especially if their sister store up in San Rafael is so on the ball!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:
With about a half hour invested on Google, I found a game store selling the game online for $53 WITH the Hill Giant included. Plus they offer FREE shipping on orders over $50!surprise So it actually came out cheaper than Thoughthammer. It looks like a small mom and pop that I'd never heard of so I hope they come through. I did email them to confirm that the promo was included and they responded quickly to say that it was, and that they would even ship the figure right away if I wanted to pay seperatly for the shipping.

www.howyouplaythegame.com

I called them today. The price jumped up drastically today. Yesterday about $50, today $63. Though still a good price since the shipping is included.

Unfortunately the nice gentleman on the phone told me that he could not guarantee the Hill Giant since it would be limited to each store. He said the chance was small that he wouldn't have enough but he couldn't be sure. So think I won't take the risk and buy direct from DoW since my local store can't seem to decide if they are going to get the promos or not.

But wanted to alert those of you that might order from this store that there's a chance the promo might not be included on all orders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.