Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh E

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've checked out the reviews, and it looks great. But: Can any of the reviewers say how they felt it compared to Among the Stars or 7 Wonders? Or Suburbia? I know that these are all different games, but it would be very interesting to hear why this would be a "must buy" when compared with other available games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh: I'll let the reviewers speak for themselves, but the key thing about Between Two Cities is the partnership element (but with one winner). It's a very different element than in 7 Wonders when you're just buying stuff from your neighbors--in Between Two Cities you're actively working with two different people to build your two cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
the key thing about Between Two Cities is the partnership element (but with one winner).

This. What Jamey said. I'll say something similar, but rather longer.

B2C has a great many similarities to a great many other games. For example, there's the game where:
- you take a card (or a tile or two in the case of B2C) from your hand
- the other players do so at the same time
- you put the card you took on the table in front of you
- you pass the rest of your hand to another player
- there are three rounds
- you score differently for different card types: one type rewards you for having the most of that type, other types reward you for forming sets,...
- scoring also depends on interactions between cards of different types.

The core of B2C is its insanely great twist on the partnership mechanism. That core is surrounded by other mechanisms, many of which are familiar to many BGGers.

I do not know of any game for which it would make sense to say: I have AnyGame, therefore I don't need B2C. B2C's core mechanism is... how to describe it... let's call it a game-changer.

Andrew

ps the game described in the list above is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Sushi Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh E

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey, Andrew-

Thanks for the comments. The partnership mechanism definitely should add something different. I'm just going to need to try it first, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely! We have a full playtest PnP on our website: http://stonemaiergames.com/print-play-3/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salamon
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
When did this overtext thing happen? Am I supposed to think of something clever to put here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will probably back it, but I need to know one thing. Is it possible to build cities on rock and roll?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark: One of the names we considered was, "We Built This City." But we thought it might be misleading, as there was no rock and roll in the 1800s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.