Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Concepcion
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
Hello there, I didn't find this one in the FAQ or printed rulebook.

Question: is 20 the maximum bid for the god auction (factoring in priests)?

We've had this situation come up twice and so far have played it as if it were the max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules are explicit that there is no maximum bid, other than it being illegal to bid more than you have.

I think it's odd that there's no designated penalty for bluffing, given that it might even happen accidentally. Having to pay all your gold and not get the god's favor anyhow seems suitably bad ... unless you really didn't have much gold at all. Maybe you should also forfeit your next turn's income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Concepcion
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
Ah thanks. I must have missed that.

When explaining the game I try to stress never bidding more than you have, 'cause that's douchey. So far it hasn't come up, even in error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
Keep in mind that because of priests "more than you have" and "more than you can pay" may be different.
You totally can bid more than you have, as long as you can still pay your bid thanks to your priest discount.

And to circumvent the problem of someone accidentally bidding to much money, we just play with open money. Keeping the money hidden is pointless anyways, as it's non-secret information in the first place, so that just makes it easier for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RindFisch wrote:
Keep in mind that because of priests "more than you have" and "more than you can pay" may be different.

Point taken!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.