Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Cyclades: Titans» Forums » Rules

Subject: shuffling gods for 3 players. Please explain like I am five years old. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Concepcion
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
I played a 3-player game last night and we had some debate over how to shuffle the God tiles properly. In the end we decided on this sort of 3-turn cycle:

turn A: shuffle all gods, place 2 up. (3 down)
turn B: from remaining 3 gods, shuffle and place 2 up (2 set aside, 1 down)
turn C: put remaining face-down gods in 1st position, shuffle the rest, turn one up.

Here's the relevant chunk of rules:

"The last 3 Gods are
placed face-down.
Two of them will be
randomly placed in the
first two spaces during
the next cycle."

Following the above seems like it could cause a god face-down in turn 1 to never appear in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Burns
United States
Mantua
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you confusion. I haven't played yet with 3p but it seems that your method makes sense especially if you look at the 5p section but in the 5p section it is explicitly spelled out and the 3p it's not. So I am not 100% sure either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I see your point.

I think in the spirit of the game, looking at the other rules, you should put the top two facedown gods in slots 1 and 2, and move the 3rd facedown god up two slots. That ensures a rotation.

While the rules don't explicitly say that, it seems consistent with what is written about other player counts and how the game is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the "bidding for placement" part of setup, shuffle all five gods and randomly draw two of them.

Then, after everyone has done their placement, to set up turn 1, shuffle all five gods again, including the two that were used during the placement phase, and randomly draw two.

Starting in turn 2, shuffle together all three of the god tiles that weren't used in the previous turn, and randomly draw two of these three.

Quote:
Following the above seems like it could cause a god face-down in turn 1 to never appear in the game.

This is correct (though if the game lasts, say, eight turns, which seems about average, the probability that there is a god who never shows up is 1 in 729). In the base game, it would be a problem because, aside from a few creatures, you need Poseidon to set up attacks and you need Ares to make them. But now that attacks don't need boats necessarily and titans will substitute for Ares, I find this to just be an interesting thing that happens sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JemL wrote:
During the "bidding for placement" part of setup, shuffle all five gods and randomly draw two of them.

Then, after everyone has done their placement, to set up turn 1, shuffle all five gods again, including the two that were used during the placement phase, and randomly draw two.

Starting in turn 2, shuffle together all three of the god tiles that weren't used in the previous turn, and randomly draw two of these three.

Quote:

This is correct (though if the game lasts, say, eight turns, which seems about average, the probability that there is a god who never shows up is 1 in 729). In the base game, it would be a problem because, aside from a few creatures, you need Poseidon to set up attacks and you need Ares to make them. But now that attacks don't need boats necessarily and titans will substitute for Ares, I find this to just be an interesting thing that happens sometimes.

Yes.

As always, a concrete example in the rule book of the setup and the first two turns would have gone a long ways towards the prevention of any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say I'm going to play it my way, but I don't see myself playing this with 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Concepcion
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks folks. I favour consistency a little over randomness; I'll present both options when we play and houserule it.

I love Cyclades with 4-5 (haven't tried 3v3 yet); my main reason for 3p the other day was I was very excited to play the Titans expansion with the regular group. If anything, the lonely Gods track made for an even more cutthroat game than usual. The board did seem very empty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably like it with more. I think we had 5 (maybe 4). It definitely shortens the game, something which I kind of forgot was sorely needed. No more slow build up, attacks can come from anywhere!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably shuffle the five and place two. Then i would shuffle the remaining three and place two from those on the next round. After that i would probably just shuffle all five again and pick two and just repeat the process. I think it would be unlikely to have one god that doesnt ever show... Ive never played this game with less than 5 players. It seems to me that 4-5 players is the sweet spot and really would do well as a 2-3 player game. Its more fun when youre being threatened from all sides

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.