Subject: Migrations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
You are required to give up a follower whenever you cause a war or migration.

Wars are pretty obvious when they are started, but sometimes migrations are not so clear.

1. If you replace a tile with another tile, but don't actually alter the landscape (in other words, an "all land" tile with a wheat replaced by an "all land" with a cup), is that a migration?

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Becker
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, we were discussing this case too.
We payed one cube even when we just replaced a tile without changing the shape of a continent. I don't know if this is right.

Our idea was, that it is still possible to affect the importance of a continent that way. Thus it shouldn't be free. But maybe it is just a minor change, thus it should be a free action?

A answer from the designer would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules, first line of the "Migration" section:

"When the placement of a tile causes an occupied continent to be divided into multiple continents and/or islands, it causes a migration."

That is the establishing comment of the process... So, division of the continent is technically necessary for a migration to occur. Replacing a tile in such a way that a continent's shape is not altered at all doesn't satisfy this requirement, and thus does not require you to sacrifice a follower.

I am sure that René will chip in soon to confirm.

~Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
1. If you replace a tile with another tile, but don't actually alter the landscape (in other words, an "all land" tile with a wheat replaced by an "all land" with a cup), is that a migration?

The fact that you might have to physically move the disc on top of a new tile doesn't imply migration. A migration only occurs when an occupied continent is split. That is, when the location to place the disc must be evaluated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Moviebuffs wrote:
You are required to give up a follower whenever you cause a war or migration.

Wars are pretty obvious when they are started, but sometimes migrations are not so clear.

***No, that would not cause a migration. According to the rulebook, a migration occurs when the occupied continent is broken up into multiple continents and/or islands.

I would say the easiest way to recognize when a migration occurs is when you insert a body of water where land used to be (saying this without looking at every tile combo right now, but check out the two rule examples) and you also started some other body of land elswhere (whether it connects with another landmass or not).

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
www.zmangames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene Wiersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Hi, designer here!

Moviebuffs wrote:

No, that does not cause a migration. A migration happens when an occupied continent is actually split up into multiple continents and/or islands through the replacement of a tile.

Like Jim C said, if you don't have to evaluate where the civilization marker goes after the replacement of a tile, then it is not a migration.

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Maywalt
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So it is also NOT a migration when you replace a landmass in a civilization with say a tile with three shores on it. Thus the remaining civilization is still intact (on a continent of other land tiles and one new shore) and the new body of water only creates shores, no Islands, or additional continents.

This is the way I have played but have heard it discussed that one may be forced to give up a follower in such a situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitas Povilaitis
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You only pay a follower if the new tile splits a continent and forces the civilization decide to stay or leave.

Even though the token is on one tile, you have to think that the civilization lives across the entire continent, and they want to stay together with their families when the water splits them apart.

Sincerely,
Vitas Povilaitis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Paulin
msg tools
I'd like to make sure i am absolutely clear. If i have a landmass piece at the edge of the board (it only touches one other piece). This landmass is part of of a continent with at least one other landmass and this continent has a civilization. I replace it with a 3-shores piece. This leaves the original continent, plus two unconnected shores. Since no new islands are formed (only two unconnected shores), and the main continent still exists (minus the removed landmass), there is no decision as to where the civ can go, therefore it is not a migration and no follower is paid to do this action.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alanpaulin wrote:
I'd like to make sure i am absolutely clear. If i have a landmass piece at the edge of the board (it only touches one other piece). This landmass is part of of a continent with at least one other landmass and this continent has a civilization. I replace it with a 3-shores piece. This leaves the original continent, plus two unconnected shores. Since no new islands are formed (only two unconnected shores), and the main continent still exists (minus the removed landmass), there is no decision as to where the civ can go, therefore it is not a migration and no follower is paid to do this action.

Correct?

Correct. You didn't split the whole occupied continent in two (you just shrank it) so there's no migration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.