Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some things i've recently found great about "the hobby"
I was originally make this a "in praise of germany" thread but then though i could just as well turn it into a thread about general positive things!

what recently made me happy:

Visiting german friends who would never ever describe themselves as "gamers" or as part of "the hobby" and don't even know what BGG is, then you see their cupboard full of games!

Gardens of Alhambra, Caylus (!!!), Cartagena, Pillars of the earth, Old Town, Carcassonne and Settlers with lots of expansions...

and while i was traveling across german recently and visiting different people almost every day i was constantly spotting copies of settlers, carcassone, Bohnanza, Wizard, citadels and a couple other games everywhere!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Caylus playing makes me happy!

I love the game and am just having a hard time getting it to the table, so your mention of it fills me with envious joy (lucky.)

Last night I met 10+ board gamers at a meetup in a coffee shop.

I am very happy about the growing community.
More cool people playing fun games in more places.

It seems every time I turn around there are people playing board games or letting the gamer flag fly.

More fun people to play games with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BORING. I only want to talk about things I hate.

But seriously, here's something odd about gaming! A friend who doesn't really play board games asked me what I love so much about board gaming above other types of gaming or activities. And I had the hardest time explaining it, and I still can't! I think there's just something about the dynamic of sitting across a table with 3 or 4 other people and matching wits with them. I love online multiplayer games, but it's just more fun when they're A) your friends, and B) enjoying each-others' physical company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

Yeah, i actually prefer that too, but i'm really trying to make an effort here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Long top 10 videos from The Dice Tower with all 3 of them there. So fun and watchable.

Top 10 of the year lists from Joel and Rahdo and the Viking too. Particularly when I haven't been following the scene too close in that year.

Saying things like, I am using "prison" on your purple temple. Anything that makes me feel like I have fun card effects to use or combos and that sounds appropriately geeky to talk about. Really enjoy starting a conversation of that nature in a public place with my wife, since she immediately shushes me and says looking around nervously "don't talk about that here, you can tell me at home ah ha ha ha". I do that every chance I can just to get that reaction.

Sorting unplayed titles and promoting or demoting them based on news and rumors. And making a lot of lists with a lot of titles on them.

Reading the bgg blog news about upcoming games.

Obsessing about knowing one's true board gaming tastes and about which game is better than which other one.

Any board game worth more than $50 that I own gets me hooting and hollering a little bit inside, though I say nothing.

When a board game I wish I did not own gets bought.

Discussing retailers. Literally so much fun. I regret nothing MM not everyone can be BB but TWS is close enough for me. And honestly Amazon wasn't too bad. Csi might be cool too over the long run but I really haven't had a lot of experience in that direction and probably never will. All I cared about was nice boxes and good prices. That first one was the only one that usually was the rub. Still greatly enjoyed a lot of what was posted in discussing retailers.

Watching a how to video from Tom, Joel, or Rahdo, or a friend from overseas before I ever have to start reading the rules.

Foreign accents. Particularly Dutch, but other ones are good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dostradamas wrote:
Your Caylus playing makes me happy!

I love the game and am just having a hard time getting it to the table, so your mention of it fills me with envious joy (lucky.)Last night I met 10+ board gamers at a meetup in a coffee shop.

Oh, sorry to say Caylus was still shrink wrapped... and will probably stay that way for a while... we played Love Letter instead...

It was apparently a gift he received from his mom. Yeah, because that is what german mothers gift to their kids, CAYLUS!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:

Interesting. If talking about things you hate makes you happy, then it should qualify for this discussion. It's time for the airing of the grievances!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like most about our hobby culture: all the game teachers.

These patient, giving people have taught more more then just games. I've had people teach games they didn't like, stop in the middle of their game to explain a rule, sit out of another game just so that I could try it out.

Without them, I would not have played most of the games I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Riedy
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a vacation with my wife's mostly non-gaming family, I brought a few titles just in case. Got some of them to play Ticket to Ride: Europe and they loved it and they played again as soon as the first game was over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S C
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearing the following...

'If I go here I can do X but if I go there I can do Y later...but wait if I do Z I can go this way instead...AAARGGHHH"

Yes that's AP in large amounts but it's also the sound of 'groking' the game and I love it because they are shifting from confusion to playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Burk
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The continuous learning process that takes place. There are very few other hobbies where there is always something truly new to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Dungeon! with my seven year old nephew and seeing him get as much out of it as I did when I was a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting thumbs up on BGG whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The community! The BGG community is possibly the best internet community I know of. It's extremely helpful and generally pretty polite, much more than any other online community at least. I don't think any other hobby could have someone ask "what extremely obscure game is this extremely obscure piece from?" And get a correct answer within 20 minutes, sometimes even 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that I am no longer connected to my hobby only by the Avalon Hill print catalog that I pulled out of my previous Avalon Hill game purchase.

Pete (remembers the lonely days)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
It was apparently a gift he received from his mom. Yeah, because that is what german mothers gift to their kids, CAYLUS!!!

Ok then, I will be happy that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Wijns
Belgium
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darkestoceans wrote:

Foreign accents. Particularly Dutch, but other ones are good too.

Wott du yoe min bye thot? Eye tink maaj inglish is rilli gut!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a participant in "the hobby" and member of "the culture", I am HAPPY that I get to play boardgames frequently.

To give a more concrete answer, I'm happy that today I received my 2mm deluxe Oregon Laminations corner rounder / counter clipper and that it works great for trimming off the annoying fuzzy stuff from the corners of punched out wargame counters and making the corners so pleasingly cleanly rounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nibble Wut?
United Kingdom
Sittingbourne
Kent
flag msg tools
Do you worship Cthulhu?
badge
Ph'nglui Mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting new games in the post - well, any new toys in the post really laugh

I also find sleeving cards curiously relaxing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
epilepticemu wrote:

But seriously, here's something odd about gaming! A friend who doesn't really play board games asked me what I love so much about board gaming above other types of gaming or activities. And I had the hardest time explaining it, and I still can't! I think there's just something about the dynamic of sitting across a table with 3 or 4 other people and matching wits with them. I love online multiplayer games, but it's just more fun when they're A) your friends, and B) enjoying each-others' physical company.

Yep, that's definitely it for me. It's an opportunity to socialize and hang out with friends while doing something intellectually engaging. Same reason I enjoy RPGs, although I haven't really played one in years now (not enough time to write up a story.)

Oddly enough, it's NOT what I look for in video games. In an era when multiplayer video gaming is easier and more popular than it ever has been, I still prefer to seek out single player experiences when I pick up that controller (or keyboard.) That's not just me bucking the trend, either. I've always preferred solitude for video games.

--

As for specific things that make me happy about the hobby - I recently took One Night Ultimate Werewolf home for the holidays and introduced it to my family. Of course, I've played plenty of board games with my family over the years, so it's not like I was introducing a new idea there. But the reaction I got to ONUW was overwhelmingly better than even I was expecting (and I was expecting that they'd like it!)

We probably played 6 or 10 games in a row and everybody was still clamoring for more. Swapping new roles in and out like mad. When the doppelganger was finally put in, shit got real!

It was probably the most exciting gaming session I've had with my family (or anyone, really) in a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The cultural sense of sharing that exist in the world of gamins is really positive. Because gaming is inherently a social activity (yes, there are solo games, and some are awesome, it's not the same as facing off against another person), gamers are encouraged by the nature of their hobby to share new discoveries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Cicero
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games gives me an excuse to get together and drink beer with my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I like that the hobby provides space for both critical thinking and having fun. I love the conversations I've been able to have about game design, mechanisms, good games and not so good games. In addition, I don't need to do anything more than pull something off the shelf and have a great time.

2. The strange capacity for games to provide a context for reflection. I have never been so aware of my tendencies and patterns of behavior as I have since getting involved in the hobby.

3. The joy of organizing game pieces and components. There's just something strangely exciting about opening a box and seeing the possibilities for organization.

4. Finally, seeing other people influenced by my interest in the hobby. I'll never forget the joy of coming home after work and finding my significant other sitting at the dining table sorting Marvel Dice Masters cards in order to build a team!

I'm looking forward to all the other things this hobby will continue to add to my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Mc
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, ya, living in Germany: I have one of those stereotypical grumpy old lady neighbors. One day I noticed through the window, she has a shelf with Settlers Catan, Carc, and a bunch of other games I didn't stare long enough to pick out. Now I'm considering trying to turn her into a gaming partner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love competing in multiplayer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.