Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: List of Aliens to Remove from the Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Locust - Essentially a non power, could be useful in very rare circumstances vs specific aliens with targeted removal.

Grumpus - Non power/works against the player.

Sycophant - Underpowered Prophet/Non Power

Brute - Overpowered/ Mind after a steroid cycle.

Sloth - Non power/works against the player

Swindler - Anti-Fun, breaks the game for one player and then causes everyone to gang up against that one player
Coordinator - Weak dictator that unfairly penalizes the player to your left.

I think the following 3 need to be house ruled or are too weak or strong.

Zombie - Negotiate is useless, unless you house rule, too weak.

Void - Too strong vs negotiate unless you house rule, already decent as is, can potentially stop a player from ever winning the game.

Bulwark - Okay power, without full compensation negotiates are terrible on him, just like zombie
--------------------------------------
Up for Debate pending further experience:
Mouth - Too weak, compare to Bandit, Vulch, Clone etc.

Trickster- have heard people say it turns the game into a luck fest, I think it gives the trickster an opportunity to win encounters regardless of how bad his hand is.

Looking for anyones input/additions, I do not own dominion so I cannot comment on those aliens yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it would be Locust, Grumpus and Sloth. I haven't actually removed them, but if somebody ever drew one and wanted to re-draw, I'd have no problem with that.

As for your other selections, it makes for an interesting discussion, but I disagree with them:

Amunra93 wrote:

I think it's a fun and under-used effect. Yes it's similar to Prophet, but many aliens are similar to others. You're not going to take them all out. Guessing who will win is an important part of the game, and it's nice to see it leveraged like this. House rule it to fewer tokens if it seems too weak.

Quote:

Nahhh. The game becomes all about Brute, but it's still fun. It is really over the top in power, and I understand it may have been an accident. Is that right? A last minute change that was not play-tested? I can understand people wanting it out of the set, but I like the fact that it adds one to the upper echelon of strong aliens.

Quote:
Swindler - Anti-Fun, breaks the game for one player and then causes everyone to gang up against that one player

I haven't played it, but I have yet to hear a negative report from anyone who has seen it in game. How is it anti-fun? When it came out, the complaint was over the perceived loss of agency, not lack of fun. Sounds like a blast to me.

Quote:

A weak version of Will actually, combined with a unique-in-cosmic ability to screw your immediate neighbor. I understand people don't like the seating-order effect, but I think there is no doubt the strength of that effect is over-estimated. And it's not like other aliens can't pick on the person to their left if they feel like it. Saboteur can wipe out the player of his choice, for example.

This is a minor alien, hardly worth the effort to take it out of the stack. I'd like to try it personally, and I'd have no problem sitting to the left of it either -- might be an opportunity to work out some interesting deals.

Quote:

Yeah, too weak, but just house rule it, or maybe just suck it up. If you take it out, then something else would be too weak.

Quote:
Void - Too strong vs negotiate unless you house rule, already decent as is, can potentially stop a player from ever winning the game.

Void is too strong? I think you have not actually played it.

Quote:
Bulwark - Okay power, without full compensation negotiates are terrible on him, just like zombie

This might be my 4th choice if I were going to take another one out. Combining the low power level of zombie with the same mechanical disadvantage...? It offers nothing new, and I say this as a person with very high tolerance for similar aliens.

Quote:
--------------------------------------
Up for Debate pending further experience:

I'm not seeing any similarity to Bandit or Clone. Yes, it seems a little low on the power level, but again if you take this one out, then what do you do about the next weakest alien.

Quote:
Trickster- have heard people say it turns the game into a luck fest.

People bitch a lot. laugh

CE is already a luck fest. Trickster helps if you have a bad hand, and is a non-power (or anti-power actually) if you have a good hand. It's not a great design, but not because of the luck factor. It's because it actively reduces your winning chances in half of your games.

Quote:
Looking for anyones input/additions.

Masochist is a popular choice.

If you dislike similarity in your aliens, there is a whole truckload of Symbiote clones, most or all of which are weaker than Symbiote. Also there are a bunch of similar "switch" aliens: Loser, Sorcerer, Mirror, and maybe Calculator should all be taken out if you don't like similarity.

If you dislike weak aliens, see the above Symbiote clones, but also check all the alternate-win aliens. Also get rid of Macron, Grudge, Calculator, and a bunch of others.

If you dislike aliens that are too strong, there are lots of good choices to take out. You'd need to get rid of Virus, as well as most of the switching aliens above. Probably better dump Warpish and Warrior too (and Sapient, because it's too similar to Warrior), as well as Pacifist, Mesmer, Merchant and probably Kamikaze.

If you dislike aliens that let you pick on a specific player, you might want to just get rid of ALL of them, but especially Will, Dictator, Vacuum, Mutant, and Saboteur, off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
↓ first, last name ↓
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roach - uninteresting slight variant of Symbiote/Horde.

Ace - Plays a solo game at the same table that interrupts everyone else's game.

Arcade - uninteresting variant of Winner. Horribly written.

Neighbor?
Dervish?
Probably some others from Cosmic Storm that I have suppressed the memory of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I'm too busy adding more aliens to my collection to consider taking any out.

And after watching someone really kick our asses with Zombie at Dundracon, I think I really need to rethink my opinion of that power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amunra93 wrote:
Locust - Essentially a non power

Grumpus - Non power/works against the player.

I remove these two for the same reasons. I'm perfectly fine with some powers being stronger/weaker than others overall. In fact, that's an important part of Cosmic Encounter, IMHO. But I take exception to the powers that either do virtually nothing for the player or that actively hinder the player without some return benefit. Locust's power is so limited that it is entirely possible for it to never come up in the course of several games. And while Grumpus sounds cute and quirky in that oh-so-Cosmic way, it really only handicaps the player and offers no incentive to ever be chosen over another options (I'd personally rather pick Locust than Grumpus, and that's saying something).

What it really comes down to is that, not every power should be strong but every power should at least be fun...and I've never seen any fun in these two.

Amunra93 wrote:

The one time we played with Brute, I will say that it wasn't a bad time, in the sense that we all recognized how ridiculous his power was and so he became the primary target for shenanigans. As a result, Brute didn't win but it did leave a lasting impression on us about how insane his power was. I've currently left him out of my deck but I'm actually split on the matter. Yes, he's about as subtle and personable as a rabid walrus but I don't think he really breaks the game, at the end of the day. A tough power to swallow, for sure.

Amunra93 wrote:

Sloth - Non power/works against the player

These and several other Cosmic Storm powers I've decidedly left out both to try to reduce the number of derivative powers and, well...because my game box was running out of space. Of note, Sloth is virtually a non-power in our group because most players don't wait their turn to commit to alliances anyway (sometimes they don't even wait for the Defense to send invitations shake).

Amunra93 wrote:
I think the following 3 need to be house ruled or are too weak or strong.

We choose to play with the house rule that changes Compensation from "lost to the Warp" to "will/would lose to the Warp". Even if something diverts those ships away from the Warp before they get there (like Zombie, Healer or Void's power), you're still entitled to Compensation as if they had. I think it's just a cleaner solution for play overall and neatly handles Void's little loophole (Okay, so my ships got sucked into a black hole instead of being scattered into the galactic accretion disk. I'm still upset about it and will appeal the Galactic Council concerning this gross breach of diplomatic protocol). goo

Amunra93 wrote:

The one time we played with Mouth, he seemed interesting on paper but in practice he wasn't very useful or fun, especially for the amount of effort involved. He's just a rather clumsy power that maybe nets his player a card or two over the course of the game. I leave him out as being an idea that is more interesting in the form of other "collector" powers like Filch, Miser, Cryo, Cyborg, et al.

Amunra93 wrote:
Trickster- have heard people say it turns the game into a luck fest, I think it gives the trickster an opportunity to win encounters regardless of how bad his hand is.

Trickster can be quirky and fun for the player who plays him. My only issue is that he effectively subverts entire phases of the game and nullifies his opponent's hand when he does so. He can turn an entire encounter into a coin-toss. On the other hand, this alone can create some great psychological leverage for his player but only if played right. His power is rather appropriate to the general "gonzo" attitude of Cosmic, so I am torn on the matter of including him. I dunno. For now, I've left him out.

Amunra93 wrote:
Looking for anyones input/additions, I do not own dominion so I cannot comment on those aliens yet.

I personally leave out Masochist, as his power is really unlikely to be useful if you're not playing with hidden powers. I also have left out Tick-Tock but I've considered putting him back in not so much because his power helps the player but because it changes the dynamic of the game by enforcing more shrewdness around deals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
If you remove all the Cosmic Storm aliens you also save $25. There are maybe 4 good aliens among the 25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
If you remove all the Cosmic Storm aliens you also save $25. There are maybe 4 good aliens among the 25.

Indeed. The only ones I really think are decent are Outlaw, Scavenger, Sneak and Worm...and when I'm feeling charitable, I'll tend to give a pass to Converter and Porcupine. And that about sums up the entirety of Storm, for me.

Just an opinion, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:

Indeed. The only ones I really think are decent are Outlaw, Scavenger, Sneak and Worm...and when I'm feeling charitable, I'll tend to give a pass to Converter and Porcupine. And that about sums up the entirety of Storm, for me.

I'd add Phantasm and Tide to that list of Storm "must-haves", and subtract Converter, which is an inverse of Reborn. I'm not saying Converter's bad, rather that it's (a) not very innovative, and (b) its abilities are screamingly good, putting it into the "quite possibly overpowered" range. Remember, Converter, when losing ships, gets to get rid of junk cards to save those ships AND can leave a number of ships in the Warp to draw the same number of cards. While it's not saying much that Zombie is way out-classed by that, it is saying something that Merchant looks at Converter with unabashed envy.

I treat Converter at the table like I do Virus or Pacifist - an alien that must be shunned in order to be defeated.

I also really like Dervish. Sorry, can't help it, it creates interesting possibilities and while a Trader variant, it's fun.

edit: formatting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
salty53 wrote:

$25? I know a store that sells the expansions for $15.49 each online...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rjburns3 wrote:
I'd add Phantasm and Tide to that list of Storm "must-haves", and subtract Converter, which is an inverse of Reborn. I'm not saying Converter's bad, rather that it's (a) not very innovative, and (b) its abilities are screamingly good, putting it into the "quite possibly overpowered" range. Remember, Converter, when losing ships, gets to get rid of junk cards to save those ships AND can leave a number of ships in the Warp to draw the same number of cards. While it's not saying much that Zombie is way out-classed by that, it is saying something that Merchant looks at Converter with unabashed envy.

Yes, the second I saw Converter for the first time, I immediately thought of Reborn, which is a power I quite like. I initially discarded Converter for this reason (too derivative), hence the reason he only sneaks back onto my radar when I'm "feeling charitable". He is quite a solid power.

I want to like Phantasm (actually, I wish Phantasm's alien portrait belonged to Pentaform) but, as-written, I think his power's a little buggy. I wish it were optional, instead of mandatory.

Tide...I dunno. His power never really hooked me.

I also have grown apart from Dervish mostly because that schtick is now occupied by two other powers that I like better, Trader and Whirligig. I like that those two powers are more "focused", an exchange between main players, rather than the "musical chairs" approach that Dervish takes. It is silly fun, which has its place in Cosmic of course...but I also think that it feels like randomness for the sake of randomness, which is something I prefer to tone down in my games (blasphemy, you say!). It's the same reason I prefer playing without the Hazard deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ri
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My list:
Schizoid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play to the players not the aliens.

That being said there are a few players I'd like to remove from the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.