Hide
5 Posts

Monopoly» Forums » Variants

Subject: Strategic Monopoly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin L
msg tools
Monopoly is one of the ultimate games of luck. Roll the dice, hope they like you; pay up, draw your card, or buy; repeat. The only real decision making is whether or not to buy at the beginning of the game (later it becomes obvious), where (not if) to place houses, and trading/mortgaging. Seems to me this lack of decision making/strategy is what makes the game fall flat on its face unless you like games that think for you.

On my way to work this morning I had a really simple idea for how to fix/improve this lack of decision making, and it could rescue the game for me if it works well. The idea is simple: Instead of rolling two dice and determining your movement by their sum, roll two dice and give players the option of picking which one they want to use. So instead of rolling a 4 and a 6, and moving 10 spaces, choose whether you want to move four spaces or 6 spaces.
You might have to do away with auctioning unbought properties; I'm not sure how else you would have to modify the rules.

Not sure if a pair of D6’s would work well or not—maybe you’d have to switch to D9’s, maybe even a 9 and a 6? I think it would add some depth to strategy. Do you rush around the board as fast as you can to get to the better properties, or while everyone else does that, do you stay behind and ploddingly pick up sets that no one else is fighting over?

I won’t have time to try this for a while, so I was wondering if anyone else has tried it already. Any thoughts on how well this would work? Obviously it’s not going to instantly rescue every other shortcoming Monopoly has; but how much more playable do you think the game would be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast Food Franchise (considered by many to be a Monopoly variant) does something similar on the first turn: you roll 3 dice and use the 2 you want, which usually ensures that you get to buy something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Dip
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jdgalt wrote:
Fast Food Franchise (considered by many to be a Monopoly variant) does something similar on the first turn: you roll 3 dice and use the 2 you want, which usually ensures that you get to buy something.

I like this way better than the first idea: the first one would have greatly favoured the first player because they could aim at the best properties before the other players and even get the playset on the first round with some luck, while this one still enables a fast run around the board (also increasing the fun, IMHO) keeping the decision aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leodip wrote:
jdgalt wrote:

I like this way better than the first idea: the first one would have greatly favoured the first player because they could aim at the best properties before the other players and even get the playset on the first round with some luck, while this one still enables a fast run around the board (also increasing the fun, IMHO) keeping the decision aspect.

Agreed.
Picking two out of three dice also means that you are still using the same sort of average moves around the board as the original, resulting in the same time to pass Go, and the same general places being more probable landing and therefore higher value.
However you wouldn't want to keep it up for the whole game or it would become far too simple to avoid landing on your opponent. Perhaps just once or twice around the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Dip
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stile86 wrote:
Leodip wrote:
jdgalt wrote:

Agreed.
Picking two out of three dice also means that you are still using the same sort of average moves around the board as the original, resulting in the same time to pass Go, and the same general places being more probable landing and therefore higher value.
However you wouldn't want to keep it up for the whole game or it would become far too simple to avoid landing on your opponent. Perhaps just once or twice around the board?

That's true, maybe some penalty? Like, if you decide to use the ability and have to pay something, you pay double.
Otherwise, you can only use it before all the properties are sold. As a further penalty, RRs and light and water are state properties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.