Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Fields of Arle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Paying Timber instead of Wood and Brick instead of Clay. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Waldowski
Poland
Bydgoszcz
Kujawsko-Pomorskie
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
The rules say: "regardless of the action you take, you can always pay Timber instead of Wood and Brick instead of Clay."

So...

Can I use 2 Bricks/2 Timber When building a blue tile ("Inn Tiles" - "Zum..." tiles)? They require two diffrent building materials but can I say that 1 Brick/Timber is 1 Clay/Wood?

Just want to be sure and clarify this.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bigbossjose wrote:
Hi!
The rules say: "regardless of the action you take, you can always pay Timber instead of Wood and Brick instead of Clay."

So...

Can I use 2 Bricks/2 Timber When building a blue tile ("Inn Tiles" - "Zum..." tiles)? They require two diffrent building materials but can I say that 1 Brick/Timber is 1 Clay/Wood?

Just want to be sure and clarify this.


I do not believe that you can. If something requires wood or clay you can use timber or brick instead, but 2 timbers or 2 bricks are not two "different" resources.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the above poster. Those are not different resources!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those tiles require different resources. 2 timber are not different, they are the same. You literally need 2 different ones. Please note that all four building resources are listed as options. This is why the replacement rule does not apply here.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is certainly not clear from the iconography, and directly contradicts the rulebook (at least the English one). I thought all four were listed because I had the option of paying Wood + Timber as well as the option of Timber + Timber (obviously preferring the former).

I hope they edit the rules a little better if they do another printing.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
golden_cow2 wrote:
That is certainly not clear from the iconography, and directly contradicts the rulebook (at least the English one). I thought all four were listed because I had the option of paying Wood + Timber as well as the option of Timber + Timber (obviously preferring the former).

I hope they edit the rules a little better if they do another printing.



I actually found it pretty clear. The "/" symbol is an "or" not "and", as is made clear in the rules. And the "not equal" sign is rigidly defined in the rules as requiring a number of the indicated resources that are not the same. Given that all four resources are listed in the iconography it is quite clear that you need 2 resources from the listed four that are different from each other. Otherwise why list all four and not just Timber and Clay?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
golden_cow2 wrote:
That is certainly not clear from the iconography, and directly contradicts the rulebook (at least the English one). I thought all four were listed because I had the option of paying Wood + Timber as well as the option of Timber + Timber (obviously preferring the former).

I hope they edit the rules a little better if they do another printing.



I actually found it pretty clear. The "/" symbol is an "or" not "and", as is made clear in the rules. And the "not equal" sign is rigidly defined in the rules as requiring a number of the indicated resources that are not the same. Given that all four resources are listed in the iconography it is quite clear that you need 2 resources from the listed four that are different from each other. Otherwise why list all four and not just Timber and Clay?


I thought it was pretty clear too. And I don't think the rules contradict. It's pretty clear that you can use timber instead of wood and it's pretty clear that a condition asking you to use DIFFERENT resources would demand DIFFERENT resources. Despite the fact that you can use a timber when you need a wood, this does not make two timbers different from one another. You are not using the timber when a wood is required because wood is not required. DIFFERENT resources are required. And this means wood or timber or clay or brick.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
I thought it was pretty clear too. And I don't think the rules contradict. It's pretty clear that you can use timber instead of wood and it's pretty clear that a condition asking you to use DIFFERENT resources would demand DIFFERENT resources. Despite the fact that you can use a timber when you need a wood, this does not make two timbers different from one another. You are not using the timber when a wood is required because wood is not required. DIFFERENT resources are required. And this means wood or timber or clay or brick.


Another Toronto gamer! Always a pleasure

Read your blog by the way, good stuff. I especially loved the post about you and your partners comparative top 10s. I am starting to get my girlfriend into games (recently taught her At the Gates of Loyang), it is fun having a partner to game with.
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the "always" in the OP's quote may be misleading, but I hope we all can agree that even if I use timber in place of wood, I am still paying timber and not wood. And if a building requires I use 2 different resources, then 2 timber are not 2 different resources even though I planned to use one of the timber in place of wood.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
I agree that the "always" in the OP's quote may be misleading, but I hope we all can agree that even if I use timber in place of wood, I am still paying timber and not wood. And if a building requires I use 2 different resources, then 2 timber are not 2 different resources even though I planned to use one of the timber in place of wood.


Agreed!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milena Guberinic
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Mina's Fresh Cardboard
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
milenaguberinic wrote:
I thought it was pretty clear too. And I don't think the rules contradict. It's pretty clear that you can use timber instead of wood and it's pretty clear that a condition asking you to use DIFFERENT resources would demand DIFFERENT resources. Despite the fact that you can use a timber when you need a wood, this does not make two timbers different from one another. You are not using the timber when a wood is required because wood is not required. DIFFERENT resources are required. And this means wood or timber or clay or brick.


Another Toronto gamer! Always a pleasure

Read your blog by the way, good stuff. I especially loved the post about you and your partners comparative top 10s. I am starting to get my girlfriend into games (recently taught her At the Gates of Loyang), it is fun having a partner to game with.


Thanks Reverendunclebastard whose first name I don't know!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
milenaguberinic wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
milenaguberinic wrote:
I thought it was pretty clear too. And I don't think the rules contradict. It's pretty clear that you can use timber instead of wood and it's pretty clear that a condition asking you to use DIFFERENT resources would demand DIFFERENT resources. Despite the fact that you can use a timber when you need a wood, this does not make two timbers different from one another. You are not using the timber when a wood is required because wood is not required. DIFFERENT resources are required. And this means wood or timber or clay or brick.


Another Toronto gamer! Always a pleasure

Read your blog by the way, good stuff. I especially loved the post about you and your partners comparative top 10s. I am starting to get my girlfriend into games (recently taught her At the Gates of Loyang), it is fun having a partner to game with.


Thanks Reverendunclebastard whose first name I don't know!


It's Steve! Reverend Uncle Bastard is my musical moniker!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Waldowski
Poland
Bydgoszcz
Kujawsko-Pomorskie
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Thank you all for clarifying this issue :-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I though a reason for the rule was so there was no reason to not upgrade wood or clay when you can.

I thought a literal reading of the rules would allow paying 2 bricks as one is a brick and one is a clay.

I'm very surprised by this ruling.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.