Popular Tags: [View All]
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
I sold a boardgame on BGG a few weeks ago, and per my usual I did a counting of the components after receiving the marketplace order while watching a few episodes of Spartacus. Everything was there, so I packed up the game, shipped it off, and then immediately went to coolstuffinc to reinvest the monies into new games.

Now, at this point I should be sure to say, that the buyer was a ghost account. No posts/contributions/geekgold/avatar. No feedback from the marketplace. These kinds of users I don't mind selling to, but in my mind they are practically anonymous: if sellers didn't have a massive advantage trust-wise in marketplace transactions, I probably wouldn't sell to them. Once you get above a 10 or so, then I begin to think, "yeah, I could buy a game from you and it'll probably turn out OK."

Back to the story.

A few days later I got an e-mail from the person I sent the game to. It was a short e-mail, and simply read:

The Actual E-mail wrote:

Hello,

I received the game today. Great condition. There was a gold ring in the box. Do you wish me to send it back. I will need your address again.

A few moments after reading the e-mail, I realized I hadn't seen my wedding ring for a few days. I am not the sort that is very attached to physical objects, so I lose track of my wedding ring fairly often: it usually re-surfaces when I clean up my office or the bedroom, and I rarely wear it out of the house, so I tend to not panic when it goes missing.

But now, PANIC. I sent the address to him, but didn't send any particular instructions for sending the ring. My logic went something along the lines of, "If the ring gets lost in the mail, I don't really care about insuring it. The value of the ring isn't what's important, it's just that it was the ring I wore on my wedding day." So I patiently waited three or four stressful nights. Then another night. A week passed. I e-mailed him again, and the response came that the envelope had been returned to him.

My heart sank a bit, I won't lie. I don't have much faith in people, I guess. Maybe that says something about me?

Anyway, at this point my wife was caught up on the whole situation. She insisted I instruct him to send it insured this time, in a large box that wouldn't easily be lost. I did so, saying I would fully pay him back for any shipping expenses. A few days later we got the ring, and things were right again! I was so happy I sent him $70 via paypal, to pay for the shipping and a board game on top, as a token of gratitude.

The next day I got $50 back from him via paypal with no note along with it. "Oh no!", I thought. "He must have thought I sent too much money by accident, he didn't know I was being nice!" But then, another e-mail came.

The Final E-mail wrote:

Mike,

Thanks but the extra money is too much. I appreciate your gift. I am glad you got the ring back safely. I sent $50.00 back to you. This is not an insult to you. I just think paying for the postage was enough.

I sent a quick e-mail of thanks to him. I'm not sure what else I could do--- but I figured I'd share the story here in chitchat. BGG users sure are honest!

PPS- If anyone was wondering, I ended up spending the $50 reward money on a boardgame. I'm not sure that it makes sense from a budgeting point of view, but in my mind that money was definitely meant to be spent on a boardgame. It just seemed right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad it all worked out.

Only a real douche bag would have kept a wedding ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Glad it all worked out.

It's probably because I engage in many e-communities and videogame cultures, but I generally assume most people are douches. I'm continually amazed at the trust possible in the boardgame community, as I've not been a part of such a community before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story and a great ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
MABBY wrote:
Glad it all worked out.

It's probably because I engage in many e-communities and videogame cultures, but I generally assume most people are douches. I'm continually amazed at the trust possible in the boardgame community, as I've not been a part of such a community before.

Yeah. But then, in playing boardgames, there must always be a certain amount of trust. Those individuals who cheat in boardgames or otherwise dishonest in playing games usually end up getting ostracized and stop being part of the boardgame community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story. I like to buy from other Geeks when I can for similar reasons, plus Geeks take better care of their games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mb
Good thing it wasn't War of the Ring, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This story gave me such bad anxiety - I am so happy it worked out for you. Hope you left good feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.