Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm (literally) late to the game, and was going to order it. But today I see that Plaid Hat has it listed as being on backorder.

Does anyone have a clue as to how much of a backorder it might be? I hate putting my money up for an indefinite hold (barring KickStarter, I suppose).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get it for $43 shipped right now from B&N.

See this thread:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1326709/bn-dead-winter-43
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
So, I'm (literally) late to the game, and was going to order it. But today I see that Plaid Hat has it listed as being on backorder.

Does anyone have a clue as to how much of a backorder it might be? I hate putting my money up for an indefinite hold (barring KickStarter, I suppose).
It's so odd how people are willing to put money down on Kickstarter, but not a preorder. What's the difference really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For all you know it could still go out tomorrow. Guess you just can't be sure unless someone does something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
th3tick wrote:

It's so odd how people are willing to put money down on Kickstarter, but not a preorder. What's the difference really?

For me, KickStarter at least has a delivery date, no matter how wrong. Even if they're late, there's an expectation of posting updates, status, and where it is.

A backorder has no expectations or delivery date. It could be waiting for the boat tomorrow, or never. If they'd merely said "delivery expected May", that would be fine. But leaving it open-ended doesn't work for me. I've had such just arrive one day, and others never.

Besides, you can't see how KickStarter is a bit more exciting than the single word BACKORDER?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one can say for certain if there is stock and it got temporarily moved to Back Order because that stock is low and we will be gone at a convention all weekend, but I can say whoever IS on that Back Order list will get copies of the game when we ship copies again. Some people Back Order because in other instances, they would have to pay 100+ on Ebay for not deciding to do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
th3tick wrote:

I would say a pre-order is a near guarantee that you will get your product someday. If not you will get your money back Sunday. Kickstarter is ' they should be sending me something, but they could always take the money and run'.

This really only furthers your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, once the thread has devolved from answering my question to criticizing me for asking it, it's time to unsub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
Yup, once the thread has devolved from answering my question to criticizing me for asking it, it's time to unsub.

I don't think anyone was criticizing you at all. We answered your question, then had a friendly exchange discussing our impression of the expectations of pre orders and Kickstarter.

Sorry you feel that way. Every single person that came here, came here to try their hardest to help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was listed as "Backorder" at their site when I placed my order a couple of weeks ago. The game shipped two days later. Status on the site never changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Reimus
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I 'preordered' from Plaid Hat it shipped within days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
th3tick wrote:
clydeiii wrote:
th3tick wrote:

For me, KickStarter at least has a delivery date, no matter how wrong. Even if they're late, there's an expectation of posting updates, status, and where it is.

A backorder has no expectations or delivery date. It could be waiting for the boat tomorrow, or never. If they'd merely said "delivery expected May", that would be fine. But leaving it open-ended doesn't work for me. I've had such just arrive one day, and others never.

Besides, you can't see how KickStarter is a bit more exciting than the single word BACKORDER?

You are exactly what shady sales people hope for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing. The game is wildly popular and constantly being printed. If we had no expectation of actively having more on the way we wouldn't allow orders. We aren't a random Joe on kickstarter. We are an established company with a reputation to be concerned with. If we took people's money and never delivered product we'd have a lot more to lose.

But you are absolutely correct. We do have dates in mind that we expect more in when we put something in back order. We should come up with a way to put a window up on that. We used to do that using our current system of on a boat or on the truck etc. but that was a system made for preordering games. So when we were implementing it for the constantly falling out of stock Dead of Winter people were getting confused as to whether the game was out on the market yet. I will continue to try to find the best way to communicate. Our hope is as we grow that our name will communicate louder and louder that these guys will do right by me. But I understand our current system is too open ended. We often find ourselves dancing between giving a time frame and having people wanting to hang us if it isn't here in that frame and not giving a time frame and having people frustrated at us that they have no expectations. We'll get it figured out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lamb
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I checked it one day on Plaid Hat's website (I think it was the 24th or 23rd). I got notice it shipped on the 25th and today I opened it and even got a Kodiak Colby promo pack as a bonus. So don't lose hope and don't get suckered in by the ebay'ers who will sell it to you for over a hundred bucks.

Btw, thank you Colby for the bonus pack! Was a total surprise and completely made my day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.