Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Angel
United Kingdom
Bristol
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So during our game today things didn't go well, We had started a new adventure (after many rule mistakes in our first foray into the game we decided to start a new)

My level 2 Bandit died in the final room of the game, He has 3 bad mutations which I know are curable..

The problem is that he also gained 6 "permanent sanity damage", leaving him with a max of 2 sanity, As well as -1 max grit making his "use 2 grit to get a dynamite token" ability pretty useless.

Is there any way to continue this character? Only having 2 sanity with a willpower save of 5+ means he continuously KO's with insanity.

Am I missing something somewhere? I cant see any way to restore his max sanity and make him playable again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played an Indian Scout whose Sanity was reduced to 4 and I feel your pain. In my case, it was caused by a very bad Growing Dread card. I learned from this that saving Grit for the worst Growing Dread cards is an important strategy.

You may find you're better off with a new character. It can happen that you get so weakened that you won't have fun any more and you'd enjoy a fresh character more, even if they are a level behind everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...uh...that guy's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Angel
United Kingdom
Bristol
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In retrospect the death was my own fault for holding on to an orb thingy for too long for funsies, I had 3 mutations and rolled a mutated arm twice.

With regards to using grit to stop growing dread cards could anyone clarify the process for me? I don't have the game manual to hand at the moment.

This is how we have been playing and i'm not sure its correct; upon reaching the final encounter you can read through all the growing dread cards and cancel them with Grit, each no-KO'd character must use 1 grit in order to cancel a growing dread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CactuarLOL wrote:
In retrospect the death was my own fault for holding on to an orb thingy for too long for funsies, I had 3 mutations and rolled a mutated arm twice.

With regards to using grit to stop growing dread cards could anyone clarify the process for me? I don't have the game manual to hand at the moment.

This is how we have been playing and i'm not sure its correct; upon reaching the final encounter you can read through all the growing dread cards and cancel them with Grit, each no-KO'd character must use 1 grit in order to cancel a growing dread.

You can cancel them before they are revealed in the final encounter, too. One grit from every hero cancels the top card on the stack, or a card that was JUST revealed, before it takes effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you add growing dread cards throughout the mission, they are added to a stack. At any point you can spend 1 grit per player to get rid of the top growing dread. At whatever point specified, when one or more growing dread get revealed, you can target specific cards to get rid of, but this must be done immediately upon revealing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that if you cancel them as they are revealed, you have to reveal one at a time and choose whether or not to cancel the one you just revealed before revealing another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The character is pretty gimped. In saying that there are things you can come across in future adventures which may correct those issues, the trick is staying alive along enough to come across them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, since you just started, I would create a new character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel that as you level, you should get a basic increase of health and sanity, for example +2 health and +2 sanity.
the roll on the level up chart is too random for these stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njep wrote:
As you add growing dread cards throughout the mission, they are added to a stack. At any point you can spend 1 grit per player to get rid of the top growing dread. At whatever point specified, when one or more growing dread get revealed, you can target specific cards to get rid of, but this must be done immediately upon revealing.

When I read the 1 grit per player I had to go back to the rulebook to find out how it was worded. Because if it said "collectively spend 1 grit per player" then 1 player with a lot of grit could save a posse.

Unfortunately it says "A Growing Dread card may be canceled if all of the Heroes in the Posse collectively use 1 Grit each (not including Heroes that are KO’d)." So if you have one person in your posse that doesn't have any grit, then you can't cancel it. This came up in our group as we have an outlaw who is embracing the mutations with his darkstone belt buckle. So we had the growing dread card that gives everyone d6 corruption with no willpower save, since he wanted to mutate, he chose not to spend a grit, and therefore there wasn't anything the rest of us could do to stop it.

Overall it turned out okay as my nose fell off but I went to the doc, who must be the first plastic surgeon because he put it back on and I felt tougher than I did before. :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if only one player has grit, can you shoot your teammates, spend one grit, get rid of the growing dread, and wake them up. Sure they'll have an injury, buy hey gotta do what you gotta do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FencePost wrote:
When I read the 1 grit per player I had to go back to the rulebook to find out how it was worded. Because if it said "collectively spend 1 grit per player" then 1 player with a lot of grit could save a posse.

Unfortunately it says "A Growing Dread card may be canceled if all of the Heroes in the Posse collectively use 1 Grit each (not including Heroes that are KO’d)." So if you have one person in your posse that doesn't have any grit, then you can't cancel it. This came up in our group as we have an outlaw who is embracing the mutations with his darkstone belt buckle. So we had the growing dread card that gives everyone d6 corruption with no willpower save, since he wanted to mutate, he chose not to spend a grit, and therefore there wasn't anything the rest of us could do to stop it.

Overall it turned out okay as my nose fell off but I went to the doc, who must be the first plastic surgeon because he put it back on and I felt tougher than I did before.

To be fair, I would have argued against spending grit on that GD card too. There are worse cards to spend it on (permanent sanity loss, advancing darkness, etc), and even if was the last GD card, I'd rather have the grit for the fight.

But I'm also not averse to mutations - my favorite character has a corruption limit of 3, and my second favorite character has 5+ mutations at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
Canada
flag msg tools
CactuarLOL wrote:
So during our game today things didn't go well, We had started a new adventure (after many rule mistakes in our first foray into the game we decided to start a new)

My level 2 Bandit died in the final room of the game, He has 3 bad mutations which I know are curable..

The problem is that he also gained 6 "permanent sanity damage", leaving him with a max of 2 sanity, As well as -1 max grit making his "use 2 grit to get a dynamite token" ability pretty useless.

Is there any way to continue this character? Only having 2 sanity with a willpower save of 5+ means he continuously KO's with insanity.

Am I missing something somewhere? I cant see any way to restore his max sanity and make him playable again.

Yeah we get that stupid card all the time (esp with both boxes combined), fortunately my gunslinger has only lost about 5 sanity to it out of all the time's it's come up, but our bandido and marshall have been hit hard by it.

It's unfortunately much easier to gain health than sanity, maybe the intent of that card is solely to make it really hard to get a level 8 character.

So yeah you're pretty much permanently playing on "increased difficulty", buy a couple of whiskey kegs to lug around with your high strength
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Asurin
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way we've found is to stock up on tonic potions, 1-2 each, to use for cancelling growing dread. One Growing Dread card causes heroes to discard grit, and we tend to get the Cosmic Insignificance card after that one.

Depending on your hero you may be lucky enough to gain extra sanity on your next level up. Otherwise the general store has some items that buff Sanity, you could also look at getting spirit armour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Maxwell
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FencePost wrote:
Overall it turned out okay as my nose fell off but I went to the doc, who must be the first plastic surgeon because he put it back on and I felt tougher than I did before.

Funnily enough, rhinoplasty to replace amputated noses has been done for over 2500 years. They used to use cheek skin, back when having your nose cut off was a common punishment :s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sir Bryond
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's why I wear my "three eyed skull amulete" with me. Just for THIS GD card. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.