Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjy Simpson
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello! I have gotten to the point in my collecting where I need to start trading rather than buying new games...sometimes - when I can curb the new game craving. I stumbled across the trade section in BGG but have been unable to find anything that would detail trading etiquette.

For example:
- Do users typically message someone before trying to propose a trade?
- Should I be looking at the dollar amounts of games before trading or are users more interested in just getting a new game?
- Are there other questions I should be asking when trying to trade?
- Should I be worried if someone has completed no trades?
- What is stopping someone from just keeping my board games without making a trade?

I definitely don't want to insult anyone with a bad trade suggestion!

Appreciate the help - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Oliver
United States
Argyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have yet to actually accomplish a trade, but I know others do it all the time.

I have tried direct messaging people first, as well as just using the trade suggestion method, with only one response.

As far as keeping other from just taking your game? The feedback system. BGGers with larger positive feedback on trades ship second, so, you know they have successfully completed trades before, and have a history of being reliable. Eventually, you would get into that category, and the new trader would go first, and you would only ship once you have their trade to you in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's recommended that you send a geekmail first. That gives someone a chance to say, "I'd be interested if we could do a larger trade, not just 1 for 1" or "I'm leaving on vacation for two weeks, please remind me then".

Dollar amounts matter, but some games are worth more or less based on availability - is it a limited edition KS edition with promos? Is it out of print and hard to get? Did Tanga just sell it for $8 with free shipping? Following auctions here will give you a good idea of going rates for secondhand games.

There's a thread somewhere about packing trades and sales. One of my concerns with a new trader would be that they pack well. Also, I generally expect USPS Priority Mail, especially for smaller packages - I would specify if you were going with a slower service (and don't try to slip a game through Media Mail). Be sure to get tracking/delivery confirmation. Priority now comes with $50 free insurance.

If your items are anything other than new in shrink, having pictures of the actual items available is helpful, and note any damage/blemishes. Do an inventory to make sure everything is there.

There is a trade dispute resolution process; there is follow-through if someone does not, well, follow through. There can be moderation/limits on their account - if this is a well-established account, with a history, avatar, microbadges, it's generally going to be protected, someone won't want anything to happen to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totalbs wrote:
Hello! I have gotten to the point in my collecting where I need to start trading rather than buying new games...sometimes - when I can curb the new game craving. I stumbled across the trade section in BGG but have been unable to find anything that would detail trading etiquette.

For example:
- Do users typically message someone before trying to propose a trade?
- Should I be looking at the dollar amounts of games before trading or are users more interested in just getting a new game?
- Are there other questions I should be asking when trying to trade?
- Should I be worried if someone has completed no trades?
- What is stopping someone from just keeping my board games without making a trade?

I definitely don't want to insult anyone with a bad trade suggestion!

Appreciate the help - thanks!

I've done quite a bit of trading in my time on bgg (and before it!). Here's some thoughts:

- It's usually best to directly PM people with a trade offer. Additionally throw out an offer. As in "hey, what do you think about x for y". Half the time they won't respond. Of those that do, expect most to just politely decline. But if you keep at it, a couple will accept or counter offer. The reason to do it via PM is it gives room for negotiation. The trade proposal system is kind of clunky for that.
-Some people look at straight dollar amounts (I do). Others just trade based on what they want and what they don't want thinking more on a "game in, game out" basis. There's no right answer and you should consider what matters to you. Do keep in mind that shipping is an important consideration. It doesn't make sense for me to trade you a copy of Star Realms when you can get it shipped from Amazon.com for 12 bucks. In fact, if you wanted my Star Realms and we made a deal, I'd probably just buy you one on Amazon because it would cost the same as shipping you mine (that way you get a new copy and I get to keep one).
-Because you have no trade ratings, I wouldn't worry about other people with no trade ratings. Your first couple deals might require you to send first.
-If you care about condition, you might want to ask about that. Similarly, if language or edition matters, make sure to ask.
-Once you do a deal, be sure to leave positive feedback and politely ask the other party to do the same. Negative feedback should be reserved for truly bad experiences. Most people are willing to work with you if something goes wrong on either end. Sometimes packages get lost or crushed in the mail. If there's a problem, fast and open communication will resolve it.

Lastly, check out Math Trades. It's an excellent way to get into trading if you're timid about trying to negotiate one on one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a ton of trading over the years. Look to Math Trades fr sure. They may seem overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it, you may find it's the best way to get trades.

For individual trades, eh, it depends. Some folks are fine with a direct trade proposals, others appreciate a GM before sending a proposal. Some folks may never respond. Too busy, not what they were looking for, etc. It doesn't really matter - don't take it personally. Just be persistent and move on if you don't get a response.

Always think about the cost of shipping when considering a trade - on your end and your potential trade partner's end. It's the primary reason I decline trades. Shipping makes it cost prohibitive. I've gotten to a point where I prioritize local trades with no shipping - and more actively pursue tjose options.

But as with all things it depends, and ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
Peeps, don't be disappointed. I have a TON of trades here and still get about 80% no-replies to Geekmails I send. You have to make a lot of offers to get a bite. I liken it to fishing for trades.

That said, you both have some stuff I might be interested in. Take a look at what I have for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.