Popular Tags: theme [+] [View All]
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As my wife has an extensive collection of games, and especially Disney themed games, I have been looking through the database for some of them. In doing so, I have come across some that have their own entries, while others don't: their pictures appear under the main game entry.

Games like Monopoloy have an entry for every edition it seems. But for instance, under the entry for Operation there are the Shrek and Stich themed editions in the imgae gallery.

So my question is this: When does a themed edition deserve it's own edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never - only for Monopoly. It's a BGG-thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BaSL wrote:
Never - only for Monopoly. It's a BGG-thing.

So you consider "Busen memo" not a themed edition but a game in itself?
How about "The Wiggles memory game"?

There seem to be plenty memory variations that don't add or change any memory rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Damn! just found a better example: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/17965

It has the following description: "The Game of Life, this time with a Spongebob theme!"

I don't know when a themed edition gets it's own entry though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is no consistency, or at least I don't see it. Other examples for similar games with a new topic: Risk (variants: Narnia Risk Junior, Risk - Star Wars), The Game of Authors (variants: Bierquartett, Jasper Quartett) or Trivial Pursuit (only a few of the variants: Baby Boomer Generation, Bild Edition, DVD, Genus II - V, Genus II in Spanish,...). The above mentioned Game of Life and Memory are also good examples of inconsistency.

I'm not totally sure with Monopoly and Risk though as I think that the rules are somehow different? Anyway, I would group variants into the entry of the original game. But I'm not bothered by the fact that the same game has several entries for different variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some of them, like Narnia Stratego and Lord of the Rings Stratego, have mechanics that are different enough from the original game that it warrants their own listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.