12 Posts

Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham» Forums » General

Subject: If you could pick the next location rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pnp fanatic
msg tools
What would you pick?

Realizing the Big Three will get their due I would pick New Orleans and Savannah for new locations.

How about yourself? London maybe? Or even China?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamlands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Jorune wrote:
Dreamlands.

Good choice...but I think that might be better served as a stand alone game that uses the same mechanics and could be used along with ES.

Still a damn good choice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Wenn ich die Zivilisation hinter mir lasse, fühle ich mich sicher (Heinrich Harrer)
mb
Antarctica. Wanna play Mountains of Madness with Elder Sign too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innsmouth, because apparently I'm masochistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Scarlet Witch wrote:
Antarctica. Wanna play Mountains of Madness with Elder Sign too!

I would place that high on my list but still have a bad taste in my mouth over that one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
jlhorner1974 wrote:
Innsmouth, because apparently I'm masochistic.

Oh now, that's one of the Big Three...add a new one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Les Coteaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innsmouth is a given really, and it's pretty simple to do. Antartica with the elder things could be great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Ok guys, after Arkham the Big Three would be Innsmouth, Dunwich and Kingsport. An Egyptian based one likely as well.

Anywhere else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Hunter
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would enjoy seeing an "Expedition" themed set. For example, Antarctica/Mountains of Madness, Egypt, and the Amazon (Yig). Nine locations for each of the 3 Expedition areas, each with 3 adventure cards, would be 27 cards per area and 81 adventure cards in total. Each Expedition could have its own "street", with different purchase options available to each. A themed ancient one (or two, heres hoping) could be included for each area, Elder Things for Antarctica, a Dark Pharoah version of Nyarlathotep for Egypt, and a tougher Yig for the Amazon. Just like the Sheldon Gang and Silver Twilight memberships modified encounters for members, facing an Ancient One on its Expedition area could make encounters tougher, with additional penalties or tasks required, and possibly bonus rewards. Players could play the Expedition game as its own standalone game just like Streets of Arkham.

There could also be a Dark Omens mode, where players play in SOA or the Museum until they are 3 Elder Signs away from victory. Once they reach this goal, play is transferred to the Ancient Ones expedition area, where they would play the themed adventure cards for this expedition exclusively and face a ramped up difficulty. The only hope of victory would be claiming Elder Signs from the expedition areas Adventure cards, the Elder signs from gates would no longer count. I think an expansion that could be a multipurpose one would be a huge hit with fans. If designed from the start with both purposes in mind, I think it could be very simple in execution without requiring much in the way of extra cards or rules to do this.

What do I think is likely to happen? Im guessing "Arkham Country" will be the next game, combining all 3 Arkham expansions into one big standalone game. This would give the Adventure deck a pretty similar size to Streets of Arkham if you crunch them numbers (81, based on 9 locations/3 cities/3 cards each), and make more sense than a separate expansion for each city. They already have the art and location themes developed, and would tie directly back to the Arkham theme. It could still be pretty cool if done right. If the 3 cities are color coded to stand apart from each other (and Streets of Arkham), you could have the possibility of using an individual city as an "add on" to SOA versus standalone play. A Dunwich Horror, Nodens, and Deep Ones Rising Ancient One card could also play off the theme and perhaps add some additional strategy to play in each city.

And if they end up rehashing these expansions in one set, maybe they could include Epic Battle and Injury/Madness decks in there too? Just sayin. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnp fanatic
msg tools
Now that's more like it

And why have three separate expansions? Why, three times the sales of course

Some good ideas though, something to think about.

Anybody else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall
United States
Dalton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Federal Hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.