Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Edited after release of first PnP:

This thread is all about my game of hidden roles, bluffing and deception set in the wrold of Dune.
It should work for anywhere from 3-5 (maybe 2-6+) players and i'm hoping playtime will be around 15-30 minues once players have all the rules and different action types roughly memorised.

Players who know games like Coup, Mascarade, One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Love Letter should feel familar with the basic rules quite quickly.

For convenience i'll post the compelte current state of the rules here:

RULES:

Dune - The Art of Kanly

Rules

Contents:
24 character cards
(3 each of „Bene Tleilax“, „Bene Gesserit“, „Spacing Guild“, „Mentat“, „Fremen“, „Landsraad“, „IX“ and „Sardaukar“)
1 card representing the Golden Lion Throne
1 card representing the planet Arrakis (can be used as the treasury to hold Spice in reserve)
6 reference cards (currently not yet included in the PnP)
50 tokens/cubes/gems to represent the currency „Spice“ (not included)
Rules

Set-Up:

Place the Golden Lion Throne in the centre of the table.
Shuffle all character cards and deal 2 to each player face-down.
Place the remaining cards next to the golden Lion throne in the centre of the table as the Deck.
Place the top 3 cards from the Deck face-down next to the golden Lion Throne and Deck.

Each player receives 2 Spice.

Notes:
When being dealt or when drawing a new card (At the start of the game or during the game) players must look at their own cards.
Players can look at their own cards at any time during the game but are required to keep them face down in front of them.
Face-down faction cards should be played in front of players in a way to make them easily accessible to other players when necessary (i.e. to be able to use the Bene Gesserit „Soothsay“ action of looking at another players card without hinderance).
Players are required to keep their collected Spice visible to other players at all times.

There are situations in the game where being truthful is required (i.e. when a player uses a special action to guess another player’s card). Although this is a game about bluffing and deceiving, in these cases players are required to be truthful and may not bluff, lie or make false claims.

Tip: don’t play with people who cheat.

winning the game:

The game can be won in different ways:

Be the only player to have any remaining cards in front of you face-down (if no other player has any face-down cards you win the game).
Be the first player to have collected 13 Spice and use the Basic Action „Domination“ to win the game.
Be part of an alliance by using the Basic Action „Allied Victory“

General Concepts of the Game:

Face-down vs. face-up cards.
Cards which are face down in front of a player represent the player’s influence on the different factions of the world of Dune.
Each card represents a specific faction which gives access to different special actions.

As a result of certain actions players may be required to turn one of their face down cards face up. Cards which have been turned face up no longer can be used for their special actions.

If a player has no more face-down cards available in front of them they may still use basic actions. They are not eliminated from the game but may not use any special actions of faction cards. they may regain access to face down cards if they regain face-down cards (i.e. by using the basic action „diplomacy“).

The Golden Lion Throne and paying penalties:
The Golden Lion Throne represents the Emperor of the known Universe (or more precisely: influence on the Emperor). It is represented in the game with it’s own card as an always visible location in the centre of the table.
Whenever a player pays Spice as a penalty (i.e. due to being the target of a specific action, by having an action they paid for countered or due to losing a challenge) that Spice is moved to the Golden Lion Throne.

Face down cards in the centre of the table:
At the beginning of the game 3 cards are taken from the top of the Deck and placed next to the Deck face down. Players can’t draw from these cards and they are effectively removed from the game for most purposes.
Players may only look at these cards when using certain Special Actions (i.e. the Bene Gesserit Special Action „Soothsay“).

Losing a Challenge:
Whenever a player loses a Challenge, they pay 1 Spice as a penalty to the Golden Lion Throne (They DO NOT turn one of their cards face-up!)

Bluffing vs. being truthful:
Whenever a player claims to own a faction card for the purpose of using that card’s Special Action or Counteraction they may „bluff“ (= they may claim to have that card even if they don’t actually own it).
Whenever a player guesses another player’s card (i.e. with the special Ability of the Bene Tleilax, Bene Gesserit or Fremen), that player must be truthful and must admit to owning that card if they do so. They may neither „bluff“ not having it nor may they claim not to have knowledge of which cards they actually own (players must look at their cards when drawing/being dealt new cards).

Negotiating and „table talk“:
Negotiating and discussing possible plays is encouraged. Players may „share“ any information they wish (though they may also „bluff“ and make false claims in doing so. I.e. a player using the Bene Gesserit Special Actions Scry or Soothsay may tell the other player which card they believe to have viewed but they don’t need to be truthful).

Trading, sharing Spice, bribing:
Giving Spice to another player is not allowed unless specified by Actions and Special Actions, unless players agree to allow this for all players at the start of the game.
(I.e. you can then allow players to pay off another player for not targeting them.)

Game Play:

The game is played in turns in clockwise order.

Each turn a player chooses a single action to perform. A player may not pass.

Depending on the action taken, the other players have the option of „challenging“ or „countering“ that action.

„Challenges“ are resolved before „Counteractions“ (Counteractions can then also be „challenged“).

When all Challenges, Counteractions and/or Actions have been performed, the game moves on to the next player’s turn.

The game immediately ends when only a single player has any remaining face down cards or when a player reaches a total of 13 Spice and takes the Basic Action „Dominate“ to win the game.

Actions:

General information on Actions:

A player may choose any one action (any „basic action“ or „special action) they want, though they must be able to afford it if it has a cost attached to it.

If a player chooses to use a „special action“ they must „claim" to own a face down card which gives access to that ability.
they don’t actually have to own that card, they may bluff ownership. Their „claim“ may be true or false.
Their „claim“ may be challenged by other players.
Depending on the type of action, other players may also choose to „counter“ that action.
„Challenges“ are resolved before „Counters“ can be performed.

If their chosen action is neither challenged nor countered (or the challenge is lost, or the counter is in return successfully challenged) they may move on to resolve that action.

Basic Actions:

Basic Actions can always be performed and don’t require ownership (or more precisely the claim of ownership) of a face down faction card.

Spice Trade: Take 1 Spice from Arrakis.
(Can’t be countered)
Spice Harvest: Take 2 Spice from Arrakis.
(Can be countered by the Spacing Guild)
Kanly: Pay 5 Spice and force another player to immediately turn 1 face-down card face-up and pay a 2 Spice penalty.
(Can be countered by the Landsraad)
Diplomacy: Pay 1 Spice to each other player to draw a new card from the Deck or to turn a face up card in front of you face down again.
(you can’t gain a 3rd face-up card this way if you already have 2 face-up cards)
(Can’t be countered)
Domination: Pay 13 Spice to win the game.
(Can’t be countered)
You MUST take this action if you have 13 or more Spice.
Allied Victory: Choose another player. If you and that player together have 18 or more Spice and can agree on a shared victory, the two of you win the game together.
(Can’t be countered)

Special Actions:

Special Actions require the claim of ownership of a face down faction card that gives access to that specific Special Action. A player without face down faction cards can no longer perform Special Actions.

Spacing Guild:
Profit:
Take 3 Spice from Arrakis.
(Can be countered by the Fremen)

Bene Tleilax:
Infiltrate:
Choose a player and name a faction card. If that player owns a card of the named faction they must turn it face up.
or
Assassinate:
Choose a player, then pay 2 Spice to make that player turn 1 of their cards face up. (They get to choose which card they turn face up).
(Both Bene Tleilax Special Actions can be countered by the Bene Gesserit)

Fremen:
Steal:
Choose a player and take 1 Spice from that player, or 2 Spice if that player has the most Spice of all players.
or
Loot:
Choose a player and name a faction card. If the player owns a card of the named faction you may take 2 Spice from them.
(If you guessed correctly they must reveal the guessed card and then may shuffle it back into the Deck and draw a new card from the Deck. If you guessed incorrectly you don’t get to take Spice from the named player and they don’t reveal a card).
(Both Fremen Special Actions can be countered by the Mentat or by other Fremen)

Idea for alternate Fremen Special Action:
Choose a player and name a faction card. If you guessed correctly you may take 1 Spice from that player and they may shuffle the guessed card back into the Deck and draw a new card. If you guessed correctly you may repeat this Action.
(If you guessed incorrectly nothing happens, the targeted player doesn’t get to exchange their card and you may not repeat the Action)

Mentat:
Strategise:
Draw 2 cards from the deck, exchange any of your face down faction cards with any of the 2 drawn cards, then discard 2 cards. You may choose not to exchange any of your face down cards and instead discard both cards you drew from the deck.
or
Machinate:
Take up to 2 face-up faction cards from in front of any player or from the face-down cards in the centre of the table. You may choose 1 of these cards and exchange it with 1 of your face down faction cards, then shuffle the others back into the Deck (if you took cards from the set of face-down cards in the centre of the table, replace those first.).
(Neither of the Mentat Special Actions can be countered)

Bene Gesserit:
Scry:
Choose 1 face down card (either another player’s card or a card in the centre of the table) and look at that card.
If the card you looked at is a Landsraad card you may turn it face up.
or
Soothsay:
Pay 1 Spice to have all other players close their eyes while you look at 1 face down card (the other players are not supposed to know which card you looked at).
If the card you looked at is a Landsraad or Sardaukar card you may turn it face up.
(Both Bene Gesserit Special Actions can be countered by the Bene Gesserit and by the IX)

Landsraad:
Collect:
Take up to 5 Spice from the Golden Lion Throne (If the Golden Lion Throne holds fewer than 5 Spice take all Spice from it).
or
Tax:
All other players each pay 1 Spice to the Golden Lion Throne and reveal 1 of their face-down cards (the cards are returned to their face-down state again after being revealed).
(Both Landsraad Special Actions can be countered by the Landsraad)

IX:
Advanced Technology:
Take 2 Spice from Arrakis.
or
No-Shield:
You can’t be the target of Actions until your next turn.
(Neither of the IX Special Actions can be countered.

Sardaukar:
Assault:
Choose 2 players. Those players swap their entire collection of Spice (You may choose yourself as one of the players).
or
Coup:
Pay 10 Spice to win the game.
(Both Sardaukar Special Actions can be countered by Sardaukar)

Counteractions:

Counteractions require the claim of ownership of a face down faction card that gives access to that specific Counteraction. A player without face down faction cards can no longer perform Counteractions.

Note:
Counteractions can be challenged but they can’t be countered with another Counteraction.

See reference page for which faction can counter which other faction.

Challenges:

Any Special Action or Counteraction (both types of actions that require the claim of ownership of a face down faction card giving access to that specific Special Action or Counteraction) can be challenged.
Basic Actions can’t be challenged (because they don’t require a face-down faction card).
To be able to issue a Challenge a player needs to own at least 1 Spice.
Player who don’t own any Spice can’t issue a Challenge.
Challenges can be issued by any player, irrespective of their involvement in the Action being challenged (they don’t have to be the target of the Action).

After the active player has chosen an Action to perform during their turn, the other players have the opportunity to challenge that Action.
Going clockwise, either starting with the player to the left of the active player, or if the Action targeted another player, starting with the targeted player, each player gets a chance to issue a challenge. If they don’t wish to issue a challenge they must say so and pass on the opportunity to the next player.

(If no player issues a challenge, play continues with other players having the opportunity to perform a Counteraction. If no Counteraction is performed, the original Action is resolved and play passes on to the next player’s turn.)

Resolving a Challenge:
Whenever a player is challenged, that player must prove they actually owned the face down faction card they claimed to have by revealing that card.
If they can’t prove this (because they either don’t own that card or don’t wish to prove it by revealing that card), they lose the challenge. If they can prove their claim they win the challenge (and the player who issued the Challenge loses).

Losing a Challenge:
The player who lost the Challenge immediately loses 1 Spice.
the Spice is paid as a penalty to the Golden Lion Throne.

Winning a Challenge:
Whenever a challenged player wins a Challenge by revealing the necessary faction card, they return that card to the Deck, re-shuffle the Deck and then draw a new card.
Whenever the Player who issued the Challenge wins (= the challenge is successful), the challenged Action fails and isn’t resolved.
Spice paid as a cost for the failed Action go to the Golden Lion Throne (they are not returned to the player who attempted to perform the Action).

********* rules end here **********

On the thematic implementation of the Dune-IP:
I've intentionally not included House Atreides and House Harkonnen as the thougth was that players would be taking control of a house and then use the other faction. The potential for controling both a card from house atreides and house harkonnen at the same time felt too unthematic to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiggo Morrison
United Kingdom
Bridgnorth
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DUNE -themed game based on mechanics from Coup and Mascerade

Wow! Nice art. Especially the norks on that Navigator. Perhaps a colour other than pink?

Seriously, I do like the Face Dancer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Meyer
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the art style! Sounds like a fun game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Refer to it as une-Day in your posts. Herbert's estate is a mess.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind which elements of Dune appears on which side of the 10,000 year divide of God Emperor: If memory serves, the Face Dancers appear after that period - before that, the Tleilaxu largely made clones and other biotech stuff.

Other than that, a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Refer to it as une-Day in your posts. Herbert's estate is a mess.

S.

Yeah, i guess this will remain a private project without an official release.
mhhmm... does make you wonder sometimes how so much "fan art" stuff even makes it to the web. I mean, the web is full of that stuff... and so are print-on-demand online shops.

I'm sure all of that Game of thrones realtd stuff isn't all licensed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JadedGamer wrote:
Keep in mind which elements of Dune appears on which side of the 10,000 year divide of God Emperor: If memory serves, the Face Dancers appear after that period - before that, the Tleilaxu largely made clones and other biotech stuff.

Other than that, a great idea.

Ah!

Actually, the first facedancer shows up in "Dune - Messiah" i believe (or "children of dune?"), his name was "Scytale" a facedancer sent to assassinate Paul (or only his children?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowly getting there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Adams
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something very similar for a personal copy, using some Dune card game art by Mark Zug and the symbols from the Brazilian version of Coup. I ended up using keeping assassin instead of "Bene Tleilax". I even did up cards for Reformation using House Atreides and House Harkonnen as the two groups, and the Landsraad as the bank.

It looks great, but every time we play, someone always has to ask what a Bene Gesserit is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfadams wrote:
I did something very similar for a personal copy, using some Dune card game art by Mark Zug and the symbols from the Brazilian version of Coup. I ended up using keeping assassin instead of "Bene Tleilax". I even did up cards for Reformation using House Atreides and House Harkonnen as the two groups, and the Landsraad as the bank.

It looks great, but every time we play, someone always has to ask what a Bene Gesserit is.

Oh! Awesome!

I had thought of using Landsraad instead of the princess and CHOAM isntead of the throne... (the throne is just a "place" where the coins go, not a charatcer card).

Harkonnen vs. Atreides sounds obvious for the reformation thingy. great! (i hadn't even though of that yet! ..in spite of it being so obvious... oh dear... )

As to people asking about the Bene Gesserit... isn't that also just genuine interest? Otherwise i'd think you'd get a general "WTF?!?!" response to the whole game from people who don't know Dune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also been reducing the art to an even more minimalist look:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Adams
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:

As to people asking about the Bene Gesserit... isn't that also just genuine interest? Otherwise i'd think you'd get a general "WTF?!?!" response to the whole game from people who don't know Dune.

Well, I get the "WTF?!" too...Bene Gesserit is just the most strange of my card titles. I went with Assassin, Bene Gesserit, Duke, Fremen, Guild Navigator, and Mentat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bannow
United States
Livonia
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Love it! Where's the PrinterStudio link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McKane
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dennis is still working on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbannow wrote:
Love it! Where's the PrinterStudio link?
jpmckane wrote:
Dennis is still working on it.

yep... and not sure how this will work for printerstudio (don't they have a 54 card limit? and aren't their prices a bit high now?). Was thinking of doing a drivethrucards thingy. And a free PnP of course.

also, printerstudio and drivethru probably won't be an option because of the IP...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you like the way the artwork has developed (devolved? ) to the even more minimalist version?

from

to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
How do you like the way the artwork has developed (devolved? ) to the even more minimalist version?

I prefer the former version with more colors. The second version feels too harsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Same. I prefer the warmer tones of the first. The second is a bit too contrasty. Love the general feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bannow
United States
Livonia
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I agree, although I'd be happy with either really. I love the color scheme of the first set though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Adams
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:

I prefer the former version with more colors. The second version feels too harsh.

Agreed, I really prefer the detail in the Guild Navigator and the Throne in the previous version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Santos
msg tools
The throne in the second version is no longer golden either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Mykkanen
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:

This looks fantastic! These games are great and I am a huge Dune fan.

Of the two options, I also prefer the first for the warmer colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfadams wrote:
Santiago wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:

Agreed, I really prefer the detail in the Guild Navigator and the Throne in the previous version.

Keep in mind that the colors on screen are not necessary the same as will come out of the printer.

Have dealt with artscow for printing custom cards? Located in China were single personal use print jobs are less of an issue?

http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/playing-cards/playing-car...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I've never dealt with them myself. I guess that was racist of me before, sorry. laugh But still it's a solid deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.