Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: COLDWAR [+] Music [+] [View All]
Jeremy K
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been enjoying playing Twilight Struggle with the Pandora playlists that Steve DeBaun created, but we got chatting that it would be even more awesome if there was a playlist that included music from USSR and around the world, and had sound bites from the cold war. So I created one.

I present to you: coldwarsoundtrack.com!

Like most of my projects, this started out pretty modest and then quickly took on a life of its own and became quite a huge undertaking. I ended up spending an entire weekend on it It has the following features:

* hundreds of songs from the US, USSR, and "world music" covering popular non-English European songs of the era, plus songs from every battleground country (yes even North Korea)!
* hundreds of cold war sound bites and speeches, including sound bites representing almost every card in the game (there were only a couple like Missile Envy that don't have a direct sound bite but are represented in spirit.)
* the soundtrack gradually moves through the years and plays songs/sound bites that are from around the current year (+/- a couple years)
* configurable playlist pace based on your expected game duration
* ability to jump to any turn/year
* optional ability to change the balance between east/west/world songs and sound bites manually (e.g. if you just want a US soundtrack, set all the speech, east, and world weights to 0)
* optional ability to use the current score to affect the balance between east/west songs and sound bites

Enjoy! This is still very much a work in progress but I've played a couple games with it so far and am very happy with how it turned out! I'll continue to add more songs and sound bites over time. Feel free to PM me with any bugs or feature requests.

Enjoy!
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Fabulous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Eden
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well done massive effort
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't listen right now but absolutely love the idea. FWIW, there was an entire musical movement in Brazil in the 60s-70s under the shadow of the oppressive dictatorship. "Pra não dizer que não falei das flores" from Geraldo Vandré is largely recognized as a sort of anthem from the era. Beautiful and strong lyrics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Chan
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to make this. Just the other day I was trying to find a playlist, but this blows any playlist out of the water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This really is top-notch. I've been thinking a lot about endeavors like these after a friend and I had a complete blast recently playing Yomi accompanied by "Shaolin Kung Fu" music and, among other things, the Mortal Kombat soundtrack. Music can do so much to elevate gaming experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kiely
Australia
Campsie
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is just fantastic. I can't wait to try it out today.
Will definitely beat playing The Hunt for Red October soundtrack on repeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy K
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
Can't listen right now but absolutely love the idea. FWIW, there was an entire musical movement in Brazil in the 60s-70s under the shadow of the oppressive dictatorship. "Pra não dizer que não falei das flores" from Geraldo Vandré is largely recognized as a sort of anthem from the era. Beautiful and strong lyrics.

Beautiful song and not in there; also an interesting story behind that song. Added, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tremendous effort. I will test it tonight - we planned to play 1989, but probably will have time also for TS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel P
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is amazing! When a friend and I play, the only songs we use are "The Voice of Energy" by Kraftwerk (for VOA--I know it's in German, but I find this only heightens the drama) and "I am the wife of Mao Tse-Tung" from "Nixon in China" (for Cultural Revolution). Definitely looking forward to using this for an immersive musical experience.

Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow, this is amazing!! Will definitely be using it!!

A question: If I change the "expected game duration", should I enter the amount of time that I think is still left in the game, or the total game time?

This really is terrific. As someone who lived through these times, what memories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy K
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fredact wrote:
Holy cow, this is amazing!! Will definitely be using it!!

A question: If I change the "expected game duration", should I enter the amount of time that I think is still left in the game, or the total game time?

This really is terrific. As someone who lived through these times, what memories.

The expected game duration is used to generate the entire soundtrack timeline, so adjust the total game time. It uses the current expended time divided by expected game duration to estimate the current year. Hope you enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Wachsmuth
msg tools
mb
So the expected game duration is how long the game would take, if it went to final scoring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We actually played with my colleague 1989 yesterday. However, the soundtrack was really well accompanying our game - it really fits cold war games.

I also like the "speeches" between songs and ability to switch on/off them. They add additional "taste" to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Carter
msg tools
Thank you for doing this. My wife and I played TS last night. I set up my laptop next to the game board and used your web page. Really enhanced the overall TS experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very intriguing! Well done and thanks for sharing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy K
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wachsmuth wrote:
So the expected game duration is how long the game would take, if it went to final scoring?

Yes. The game duration is used to track where in the timeline the clips should come from.

Example: if you set game duration to 180 minutes, and you've been playing the soundtrack for 60 minutes, you will be getting clips from roughly 1/3 through the 1945-1989 period (~1960).

If you reset the round or year manually, this overrides where the "cursor" is. So if you set a game duration of 180 minutes but manually set the playlist to Turn 6, it will start playing clips from halfway through the 1945-1989 period (~1967), and will take 90 minutes to get to the "end" of the soundtrack. (It doesn't really end, it just keeps playing clips from the very end of its list that haven't already been played).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy K
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
barrchord wrote:
Thank you for doing this. My wife and I played TS last night. I set up my laptop next to the game board and used your web page. Really enhanced the overall TS experience.

Awesome, glad to hear! I had a great experience last week where just as I was couping Angola, a speech came on about Angola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great!!!
I have to use it next time I play it, or maybe.. I have to play soon so I can use the soundtrack.
Thanks for the contribution.

Just a little comment, the "current turn" and "current year" coordination is not perfectly consistent.
For example when you set current turn to 2, the current year updates to 1949, but if you move the current year control it considers the year 1949 as turn 1, and changes to turn 2 only on year 1950.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowe
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Can't wait to play with this in the background!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy K
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
alerce wrote:
Really great!!!
I have to use it next time I play it, or maybe.. I have to play soon so I can use the soundtrack.
Thanks for the contribution.

Just a little comment, the "current turn" and "current year" coordination is not perfectly consistent.
For example when you set current turn to 2, the current year updates to 1949, but if you move the current year control it considers the year 1949 as turn 1, and changes to turn 2 only on year 1950.

Hi Leo, thanks for your interest - and for my first bug report!

This actually isn't quite a bug although the behaviour is obviously not what you expect. When you set either turn or year, the underlying clock is set accordingly (in milliseconds of "elapsed" game time). Because each turn is 4.5 years, when you manually set it to turn 2, you're at 1949.5 (halfway through 1945). When you manually set it to 1949, you're at turn 1.89 (mostly through turn 1). The UI shows the floor of each value (i.e. rounded down) but the underlying clock keeps millisecond accuracy.

The underlying clock is accurate based on which dial you turn, but the UI only updates when you tick past the next milestone. So if you set it to turn 2, you'll be at 1949 but you will see it tick to 1950 twice as fast as it will take to get from 1950-1951. If you set it to 1949, you'll see it tick to turn 2 as soon as "half a year" has elapsed (i.e. very quickly).

Hope that makes sense! I'm not sure there's a better way to handle it without showing decimals but am open to suggestions. Your post did lead me to discover a slight bug in how I was handling time (as 44 total game years instead of 45; now fixed) but that wasn't responsible for the behaviour you saw. Thanks for making me review the logic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
propsero wrote:
I'm not sure there's a better way to handle it without showing decimals but am open to suggestions. Your post did lead me to discover a slight bug in how I was handling time (as 44 total game years instead of 45; now fixed) but that wasn't responsible for the behaviour you saw. Thanks for making me review the logic!

Just show month as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to thank you again for this. It is really great. My buddy and I get together once a week to play TS, and I put this on every time we meet at my place (he doesn't have computer access in his basement, where we play, but maybe I'll start taking my laptop).

There are SOO many clips on there. Last week we played 3 games, and I don't think we heard a song repeat!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Works with Wir sind das Volk!, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.