Kings of Israel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple foretold events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, I played a game with two prophets. At one point, I drew a foretold event, which I placed under two facedown cards. Then I drew another sin & punishment: it was another foretold event.

I wasn't sure what to do: if I played according to the rules as written, I should have placed the second card beneath the two top cards, including the first foretold event, meaning that the first foretold event would suddenly be coming next round. I decided that would be against the spirit of the card, and put both foretold events under two facedown cards. Which also turned out two be foretold events, so I ended up with two facedown cards, and then four foretold events. Then I drew a 'regular' sin & punishment card, so I continued the turn.

I guess if I had played according to the rules, the first foretold event would have actually become the sin & punishment card for that round, leaving me with no time to prepare. That doesn't sound right. However, the way I played it I was able to prepare for four events, one of which was 5 turns away! That doesn't sound right either...

I'm still not sure what the best way is to deal with the situation of multiple foretold events in a row. Any advice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hill
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Kings of Israel
mbmbmbmbmb
janwillemvl wrote:
Yesterday, I played a game with two prophets. At one point, I drew a foretold event, which I placed under two facedown cards. Then I drew another sin & punishment: it was another foretold event.

I wasn't sure what to do: if I played according to the rules as written, I should have placed the second card beneath the two top cards, including the first foretold event, meaning that the first foretold event would suddenly be coming next round. I decided that would be against the spirit of the card, and put both foretold events under two facedown cards. Which also turned out two be foretold events, so I ended up with two facedown cards, and then four foretold events. Then I drew a 'regular' sin & punishment card, so I continued the turn.

I guess if I had played according to the rules, the first foretold event would have actually become the sin & punishment card for that round, leaving me with no time to prepare. That doesn't sound right. However, the way I played it I was able to prepare for four events, one of which was 5 turns away! That doesn't sound right either...

I'm still not sure what the best way is to deal with the situation of multiple foretold events in a row. Any advice?

If you would draw two consecutive Foretold Events then the second Foretold Event would go directly below the first Foretold Event. This will give you less time to prepare but you would likely still have time to react, unless a third Foretold Event is drawn which is rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thebrainy wrote:

If you would draw two consecutive Foretold Events then the second Foretold Event would go directly below the first Foretold Event. This will give you less time to prepare but you would likely still have time to react, unless a third Foretold Event is drawn which is rare.

In my game last night I had 4 foretold events in a row and then later 2 or 3 (not sure). I agree that it's a freaky case, but still.

Let's look at the numbers. I'm not sure how many foretold event cards there are, but I'm sure I had at least 6 last night so for now I assume that there are 6. If I draw a foretold event, then the odds of the next 2 also being foretold events is about 2.5 % (5/29 * 4/28). That means that in 2p mode, 1 in 40 times when the first S&P card is a foretold event, it will actually take place immediately. If you draw the first foretold event later in the game the odds increase.

If that's the intention of the game, then so be it. But I think it would be better if a foretold event could never take place immediately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like the element of uncertainty. You think you know on which round a foretold event will trigger, but another foretold event might cause it to trigger earlier than expected. As Robbie Burns said, the best-laid schemes of mice and prophets gang aft agley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played a game recently where we had 2 Foretold Events back to back. We at least had one Sin & Punishment card to prepare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.