Popular Tags: [View All]
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my quest to balance out the difficulty for different number of players and level of the heroes, I am curious what you guys think of the relative strengths of the different monsters.

Right now, I think they rank as follows:
Monster Threat Points
Void Spider 1
Strangler 2
Tentacles 3
Night Terror 6
Goliath ?

This means that Tentacles are 3x stronger than Void Spiders.

With the ratings above, I calculated that the average threat points per hero per threat card is the following:
1 player 9.2
2 player 4.6
3 player 4.6
4 player 3.4
5 player 4.9
6 player 4.1

what this tells me is that the game is easiest with 4 players and hardest with 1 player. I guess that makes sense. Not sure what to do with this yet. Figured I should share it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do your strengths line up with the xp values?

I don't think you are taking into account the monster to hero attack ratio, so I'd bet 6 player is still easiest (because there are 6 hero Attacks for every 1 monster attack).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
soosy wrote:
I don't think you are taking into account the monster to hero attack ratio, so I'd bet 6 player is still easiest (because there are 6 hero Attacks for every 1 monster attack).

Yeah, but with 6 players there will be more monsters that can attack... That was done to scale the game a little bit if I remember correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Barkam wrote:
what this tells me is that the game is easiest with 4 players and hardest with 1 player. I guess that makes sense. Not sure what to do with this yet. Figured I should share it.

A couple of other, less calculable factors make 5 and 6 players significantly easier: a wide spread of stats to overcome stat-challenge encounters, very rapid item and treasure gain, the increased ability to 'game' enemy movement behavior, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Gardner
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious to see how the epic threats scale to the number of players based on the same system for final encounters.

using high threats for 1-2, and epics for 3-6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
Canada
flag msg tools
I'd put the tentacles at 5 on the scale, seeing as they typically do way more damage to us than cookie monsters ever do.

Gotta love it when you yahtzee a bro for 9 unpreventable damage, I've seen 15 a few times with all the void buff cards that come out for darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LastChime wrote:
I'd put the tentacles at 5 on the scale, seeing as they typically do way more damage to us than cookie monsters ever do.

Gotta love it when you yahtzee a bro for 9 unpreventable damage, I've seen 15 a few times with all the void buff cards that come out for darkness.

I agree on tentacles. They are pretty tough, both in terms of damage to kill them, and (most especially) the damage that they can do. No Defense rolls on 6's to hit, doing 3 damage each (at least) is pretty dangerous. Especially since they are void and can also get beefed up by Darkness cards to get extra Combat dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoibs
Australia
Sunshine Coast
QLD
flag msg tools
mb
LastChime wrote:

Pretty much. They're quite ridiculous, and the fact that they typically spawn in groups or from the Peril Die makes them even worse than the 1~2 Cookies that we've been facing at a time thus far, heck the big fellas miss more than half the time from the 5+ hit roll anyway.

Our very first game of this at lvl 1 had us encounter more than the max amount of these (So, with elite abilites too..) in the final room of the tutorial from the threat card(s) we drew. Was forced to flee and they've been my most hated enemy since. God forbid you get them on an ambush..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are right. I'll base the Monster Strength based on their stats. I'll post my findings when done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.