Subject: Opponent taking a freighter on the first turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jo L.
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
My scythe... I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I'm curious to know what your strategies might be in a situation where the opponent gets a very powerful trade card right off the bat and there are no other trade cards available. It's happened to me a couple of times that my opponent was able to take a freighter (4 trade)on the first turn.

This puts you at a serious disadvantage right from the start if there's no patrol mech or trade pod available to counter that move. Your opponent can start purchasing 6's and 7's after the first shuffle. By mid-game, the opponent usually has some powerful chains or two or three black bases while I'm still struggling to catch up.

I haven't come up with a decent answer to this problem myself so I'm curious to know if there's a way back from getting behind that quickly so early in the game. My shoulders always sink when I see my opponent getting a lucky draw like that in the very first turn.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One solution would be to give your opponent as little opportunity / mid-game to use the "big buy" as possible.
Try to speed up the game with green / yellow fast damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also you would want to be very selective in the cards you purchase and don't worry about not purchasing (or picking up explorers) if none of the cards on trade row are good for you. This would lead to less opportunities for higher value cards to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Muhammad Na'im
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would take cards that can scrap the trade row such as Battle Pod and Blob Destroyer. I deny the good cards that he can get. Not fool-proof but it has worked sometimes for me.

Alternatively, going straight up yellow or green can beat down your opponent before they can make use of their big cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kick his shin under the table and deal with it.

The game will be over in 15 minutes anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo L.
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow6 wrote:
Alternatively, going straight up yellow or green can beat down your opponent before they can make use of their big cards.

I tried that but couldn't pull it off quickly enough. I'd get my opponent to about 10-15 authority and then the momentum started to shift.

Also, by not scrapping enough your hand still be too diluted to make something useful happen without resorting to a lot of luck. If you get one or two bad draws (like a single blob card even though you have two or three in your deck), that could be enough for your opponent to build up an even stronger lead.

I like the option better of picking up explorers. Will try that next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo L.
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Kick his shin under the table and deal with it.

The game will be over in 15 minutes anyway.

So I'm supposed to watch as he kicks my ass for 15 minutes after the very first turn? I'm not willing to give up that easily Especially in a tournament setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about tournaments, but in regular play, just don't let this happen.

Deal out 7 cards rather than 5. Each of you chooses one to eliminate (goodbye, freighter). Then it's much less likely for the game to be determined by the luck of an overpowered card on the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow6 wrote:
I would take cards that can scrap the trade row such as Battle Pod and Blob Destroyer. I deny the good cards that he can get. Not fool-proof but it has worked sometimes for me.

I agree with this. Additionally, yellow is also disruptive by making the opponent discard cards which, early in the game, often makes a difference in the opponent being able to buy a 6-8 level card or not.

I also like to deny them outposts so they can not buy time as he/she sets up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Brien
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
I don't know about tournaments, but in regular play, just don't let this happen.

Deal out 7 cards rather than 5. Each of you chooses one to eliminate (goodbye, freighter). Then it's much less likely for the game to be determined by the luck of an overpowered card on the first turn.

This works really well. Player who is going second gets first dibs on the first card to get scrapped. First player then chooses the second card. We also don't look at our starting hands until after this is done.

When playing with the event cards we just ignore any that show up in the opening 7 cards and replace them with a non event card. This works well because it gives you a heads up on what events will not show up during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Gartner
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Here are three things to try:

1) Buy a base like Recycling Station or Barter World. Your opponent spent $4 boosting their economy, but that card isn't killing any bases. If you stick a base for 2-3 turns, you will get a ton of incremental advantage.

2) Buy smaller econ cards. Even explorers can be fine on some boards. You won't be buying a lot of 7 or 8 drops, but with several $2 trade cards, you can still get several $4-6 cards. Depending on the board, your opponent might end up wasting money on their big turn anyway. Try to out efficient them.

3) Buy scrap cards. Your opponent isn't pressuring you. If you scrap out your deck, you can go "over the top" and win with basically any cheap cards, OR buy a few economy cards late and end up with a super powerful efficient deck. In the long game, decks that have been thoroughly scrapped out are basically unbeatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Oaster

Pennsylvania
msg tools
My strategy suggestion: Hope that the opponent replaces the Freighter with an Imperial Frigate, then kick his/her butt with that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what's available, but if the trade row is filled with expensive cards and your opponent got the Freighter - good luck. Buy explorers and hope you can catch up later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
whipy wrote:
I'm curious to know what your strategies might be in a situation where the opponent gets a very powerful trade card right off the bat and there are no other trade cards available.

Concede.

Even if you manage to buy an equally powerful card (eg your own Freighter or a Recycling Station) on turn 2 or 3, it is unlikely you will catch up with a turn 1 one bomb like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.