Subject: First player advantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played the newer version but haven't noticed a first player advantage. In fact I won recently starting last in a 6 player game. A bit of luck on what cards are drawn (naturally in my case skill!-lol) and a bit of experience of knowing when to take the lead even if it means taking the long route. By the way I heard the new boards are easier in that you can't run out of cards to finish the race when forced to take the long routes too often, a pity, that's half the fun in the original is making someone take the long corner too many times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: there is an advantage to starting 1st
Long answer: there is no advantage to starting 1st

Huh? Let me explain.

There is an advantage for the first player to act, but it doesn't have to be the 1st player in te starting order. The way the game plays, after a couple of turns players are moving in a specific order. Once your position is out of order you can be heavily handicapped by it (for example, you started 4th, but moved to 3rd place and keep getting the 3rd started player passing you to block you).

In effect, starting first has a huge advantage in avoiding the outerlanes. Also, it means that if by some luck you can surpass all the players out of the 6th starting position in your first 2 or 3 turns, you're in effect taking the leader's advantage.

But that's where the 6-card rule comes in. It makes even more sense to take the lead fast and after half a round slow down to allow one chariot to take over the lead from time to time to be able to play your 6s.

Keep in mind that the game designers advice is to play more than one race and let players start in the reverse order of the previous race. By doing this, the starting order advantage evens out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.