United Kingdom
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Woohoo!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Afternoon,

I used to be a massive fan of Warhammer Quest when I was younger and I really want something to scratch that dungeon crawler itch with good character progression. WHQ also appealed to me as I really do love miniatures but it doesn't have to be a miniatures style game.

I really felt that town/travelling events built up a story for your character and made it feel especially interesting.

Every time I look into this I end up back at D&D. I am currently part of a D&D 5th Ed. group and I'm really enjoying it but I need my fix more than twice a month.

I'm currently looking at potentially setting up a D&D group online via skype/online tools but I wanted to see if there is anything in the form of a board game.

If you have any questions or need further information just drop in a post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients / Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death is another dungeon crawler, but has a wild-west/horror theme (think Deadlands, if you know that). Like WHQ, it does not require a GM. And it also has the town part between adventures.

If you do not mind having one player be the GM:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Those are a bit more streamlined.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for RPG, there is also the option of Play-by-Forum (i.e. http://www.rpol.net/).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
It's not yet out (KS ended last August, it's listed as due by August of this year. Most KS are late, but Mantic has a very good track record of being early, on time, or not too late), but keep an eye on Dungeon Saga. It looks like it has everything you're looking for. Dungeon crawling, hero progression, "in between stuff" where going to town and doing activities helps your hero progress. It's primarily a "vs" game, where one player plays the bad guy, but the bad guy *also* has "hero" progression, where he can improve his boss monsters and has other options for becoming tougher. There will also be a solo option. Well, two solo options: you can solo as either the heroes against an AI dungeon, or as the bad guy against AI heroes (but in a recent post, the designer reported not being satisfied with the latter gameplay, so we'll see how this evolves)

It was a very successful KS campaign, and there will be three or four expansions made at the same time, that should be available at release, or shortly after.

Here's the KS page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/dungeon-saga...

And here's the designer's blog: http://quirkworthy.com/

I also like Shadows of Brimstone and Descent, and have Imperial Assault (but haven't yet played it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.