Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm looking forward to giving Glenn's new computer game, Napoleon: Victory & Glory, a fair shake when it arrives. Glenn, can you tell us more about it? Will it be single or multi-player? AI or no AI? 7 playable nations? What about major differences and major similarities between Napoleon in Europe and the new computer game?

Also I'd like to say I liked the Eylau replays on your blog. http://glennstropicalgames.blogspot.com/2013/12/eylau-februa... and http://glennstropicalgames.blogspot.com/2014/01/eylau-part-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Alan! :-)

The new game will be PC first and (possibly) a board game later.

It will use the same map as Napoleon in Europe.

The unit art will be all Paul Niemeyer...and we're going to have unique artwork for each unit type and each nation (almost 60 unique pieces of unit art at this point).

I also have an agreement with Keith Rocco to use 70 - 100 pieces of his original artwork for the cards, cover, and other events in the game.

This is going to be a beautiful game!

Gameplay:
It will be single player (The player IS Napoleon and therefore manages the French and their allies) vs. the AI (Britain as the main antagonist and the other nations as they enter the war against Napoleon, leave it, and then re-enter later).
There is a Diplomatic Track that shows the current relationship between the French Empire and the other major nations (including the regions of 'Germany' and 'Italy' which are recruiting grounds and may rebel against the French if their rating gets too low). The higher the Rating, the better the relationship. When the Rating gets low enough, the British may play an 'Offer of Alliance' card may be able to convince them to declare war on France.

The 'Event Cards' are a main mechanism in the game for recruiting, adding regions to the French Empire, and other political initiatives, or major events. The player gains an event card at the end of every turn and every time they win a major battle.

The player will move his armies on the map and attempt to defeat allied armies in battle and occupy their capitals to knock them out of the war.
The victory conditions are:
The French (player) win the game if they successfully play the following Event Cards:
• Confederation of the Rhine Created
• Kingdom of Northern Italy Created
• Grand Duchy of Warsaw Created
• Kingdom of Spain Declared
Once these cards have all been played and are ‘In Effect’, The Final Victory Conditions can be accomplished: The French player must defeat Russia and Austria one more time, and be at war with none of the Major Powers (Spain, Prussia, Austria, and Russia).
There is also a ‘Sudden Death’ victory for Napoleon: If London is occupied by French units, and no other Major Nations are at war with the French, then the French player wins.
The British (AI) wins the game if Napoleon is eliminated, which can occur if the French army that he is leading loses a battle in which all of their units are eliminated.
If the game ends because the last turn has been played (Nov/ Dec 1815) and neither side has achieved their victory conditions, a score will be given to the player based on how many regions are in The French Empire.

Battles are a bit different from Napoleon in Europe. There is only one battle line (it is in a sense an abstracted idea of where the action is hottest at that moment in the battle). The Commanding General with the higher command rating can deploy more troops there at any given time, and also gets an initiative advantage when determining which unit on the battle line acts next. Infantry, Cavalry, and Artillery each have different strengths and weaknesses in battle, and each unit will have a different battle rating (quality) that will determine how likely they are to hit when attacking and how likely they are to survive being hit without being disrupted, routed, or eliminated.

Units in the reserve may be fed into the battle line as vacancies occur every round. A very large army led by an incompetent commander could be defeated by a smaller, better trained, better led army, but maybe not if the very large army overwhelms them.

Pretty standard Napoleonic stuff. The fun comes in trying to grow the Empire, recruit new forces, while managing the wars with the various Nations across Europe. Play balance will be the key. I want the player to be able to replicate the growth of the French Empire in the early days, and have a devil of a time holding onto it while trying to deal with resistance from Spain to Russia and everything in between.

The start date of Spring, 1805 will be the default scenario, but we will also offer 1800, 1806, 1809, 1812, and 1813.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Drover
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is coming along very well. It is actually almost done!
We expect to publish it via Slitherine/ Matrix games in early December, or early January at the latest.

We are also going to offer a board game version on Kickstarter. The Kickstarter will launch in late November and the game will ship complete in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Budley wrote:
The game is coming along very well. It is actually almost done!
We expect to publish it via Slitherine/ Matrix games in early December, or early January at the latest.

We are also going to offer a board game version on Kickstarter. The Kickstarter will launch in late November and the game will ship complete in March.

Looping forward to iT. Does iT also come on iOS?
Would like boardgame and iOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ellwood
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
So can I ask what stage are you at with the end of the kick starter?

I have emailed and requested if others who missed the kick starter can get hold of a copy please?

I'm in New Zealand so even with the internet we still miss things lol!

I WILL PURCHASE THIS GAME, as I have the original and love it. Its a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.