Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: New to Naval Wargaming - Looking for a Rules Set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: naval [+] wargames [+] [View All]
Brian
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I've been a wargamer for over 20 years but have just recently become interested in naval miniatures gaming. I found a not-quite-completed ruleset on line (Fire on the Waters by Leonard Heinz) that seems to be about what I'm looking for. The problem is that it's not quite completed. I've settled on the 1/6000 scale and am primarily interested in WWII Pacific surface actions. One element of any ruleset that I use, though, will have to be a detailed damage model. I like the possibility of a single lucky (or unlucky depending on your point of view) shell wiping out the bridge, jamming the rudder, or even obliterating the ship as it detonates a magazine. On the other hand, I also like the possibility of a ship taking numerous shell hits without being too much the worse for wear. The accounts I've read of many of the surface actions in the Solomons seem to include a healthy dose of this random element and I enjoy that in my games. Any suggestions as to what rulesets may fit the bill would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider Command at Sea The Rising Sun: Command at Sea Volume I - it's an evolution of the Harpoon system centered on World War Two actions. I have played it a couple of times and really enjoyed it - I just can't find the time to play something so involved these days...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with either:

SimCan Line of Battle

or General Quarters 111.

But the former is more for WW1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for both responses. They definitely helped to get me looking in the right direction. I think I've narrowed it down to Command at Sea or General Quarters III based primarily on the fact that SimCan is more WWI oriented. Do either or both of you happen to have experience with both of those systems? If so, what are the key differences? If not, then thanks again for the help you've already provided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Panzerschiffe TG-3. I've used it for my 1/6000 ships and it is a great compromise between detail and simplicity. I've run games with over 20 ships on a side within five hours!

It doesn't include airplane rules--you'd need to steal those from elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.