Subject: How the sad Sorcerer succeeded (first ever game!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Saunders
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Last night I had the opportunity to play my first ever game of Cosmic Encounter (after purchasing it nearly a month ago). It was incredible.

We had five players: the Chosen, the Barbarian, the Pacifist, the Spiff, and I was the Sorcerer.

The Pacifist took an early lead by having a hand full of negotiate cards and bluffing well when he drew against me on his second encounter. I elected not to switch his card, and played a Negotiate of my own, and he very cleverly played an Attack card instead.

The Barbarian managed to pull ahead to 3 colonies by just hopping on board in alliances with everyone that would let him.

The Spiff played super conservatively, sending single ships in to win foreign colonies, and playing reinforcement cards on his opponents to lose encounters but still score. About half an hour into the game, I had yet to gain a single foreign colony, while everyone else was sitting pretty at 3.

I negotiated with the Spiff for my first colony, and then on my second encounter managed to outwit the Pacifist and move up to a second.

Things got tense as the other players moved up to four colonies through basic brute force and some clever Divine Intervention. I managed to Quash a negotiation for a fifth colony between the Pacifist and the Spiff, and then join in defense against another possible win for the Chosen.

I scored my fourth colony on playing a 40 that I had held on to for a good while, then on my second encounter played a negotiate and Sorcerer'd the Barbarian, who was left with a single encounter card I assumed to be an attack. I was right, and scraped the win (even with all three other players allying with him.)

It was a ton of fun, and I really can't wait to play again. We played without flares, tech, or yellow and red aliens, which makes the prospect of adding those things super, super enticing. Thanks for introducing me to this game, BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! Congrats on pulling out a solo win on your first try! Sounds like a very fun session.

Sorcerer is one of my favorites. I like any alien that plays mind-games with his opponent.

Welcome to Cosmic Encounter, the greatest game on this or any other planet! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
A perfect illustration of why I love this game. What a great first outing for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.