CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars has a $200 MSRP.

It's huge, my game closet is already bursting.

My chances of playing it are iffy. My main gaming group is my wife and child, not necessarily big fans (although you never know with the wife, she has a fiendish side; and teenagers are naturally fiendish). I do have a gaming buddy I could drag it over to, so maybe…

But it's big and has cool minis and it's Lovecraft and…

Somebody stop me before I open The Box That Unleashes Mindless Horrors!

No, really, tell me that a guy who plays mostly Agricola and Innovation these days doesn't need a giant dudes on a map game with a cool theme. Or, if you're in league with the Old Ones, tell me to buy, and my soul be damned.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you really care if it didn't have the massive miniatures?

(doubts many would)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is one of the largest boxes I've ever seen, with the exception of boxes deliberately made absurdly huge as marketing gimmicks.

Pete (is looking at you, Ogre)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think those minis are large enough to qualify as dolls.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get at it for the minis because I roleplay Call of Cthulhu quite a bit. I won't buy it because minis rarely matter for CoC. If you don't do the roleplaying thing, and you're into euros, there's absolutely no reason to have this game. Standard dudes on a map. You're definitely not going to do it for the theme; Lovecraft never described a war over Earth between anything but the lesser races. And think about it: these are basically uncaring beings so powerful that they essentially become forces of nature, set against the backdrop of an infinite universe. Why are they fighting over Earth? The whole idea is just goofy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Would you really care if it didn't have the massive miniatures?

(doubts many would)

Probably not. But presentation is part of game lust for me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
Cthulhu Wars has a $200 MSRP.

It's huge, my game closet is already bursting.

My chances of playing it are iffy. My main gaming group is my wife and child, not necessarily big fans (although you never know with the wife, she has a fiendish side; and teenagers are naturally fiendish). I do have a gaming buddy I could drag it over to, so maybe…

But it's big and has cool minis and it's Lovecraft and…

Somebody stop me before I open The Box That Unleashes Mindless Horrors!

No, really, tell me that a guy who plays mostly Agricola and Innovation these days doesn't need a giant dudes on a map game with a cool theme. Or, if you're in league with the Old Ones, tell me to buy, and my soul be damned.


No board game is really worth $200 unless you play the hell out of it. If you already know this probably won't get played often, then the only reason to get it is the miniatures. I admit they are sweet, but are you going to display them or will they sit in a closet, untouched, for years?

In the end the money is yours to spend, and if you have the funds you have the right to spend on whatever you like, but I probably wouldn't recommend it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
nomoredroids wrote:
I want to get at it for the minis because I roleplay Call of Cthulhu quite a bit. I won't buy it because minis rarely matter for CoC. If you don't do the roleplaying thing, and you're into euros, there's absolutely no reason to have this game. Standard dudes on a map. You're definitely not going to do it for the theme; Lovecraft never described a war over Earth between anything but the lesser races. And think about it: these are basically uncaring beings so powerful that they essentially become forces of nature, set against the backdrop of an infinite universe. Why are they fighting over Earth? The whole idea is just goofy.


I don't really think it is a standard dudes on a map game like, say, Axis & Allies. The asymmetrical approach and the way some of the mechanisms work make it feel quite different and quite euro-ish to me. A very conflict heavy euro to be sure.

It is very thematic. Just because the situation in play is not one described by Lovecraft doesn't mean it can't be thematic. There are lots and lots of rules which exist to reflect things in the fiction. For instance Shoggoths can consume their own allies to become more powerful. This is thematic. As for why they fight over earth, who can know the motivations of the great old ones. Why do we fight over hills that are known only by numbers. They fight over earth because they choose to.

As for whether anyone should buy it then that's a much different question. Even though it is a good game it may not appeal to any specific person. Perhaps they don't like conflict or perhaps they are only interested in the cosmic horror aspect of Lovecrafts writing. Even if the game does appeal it is still extremely expensive. The majority of the price goes on the great production values and the cool factor of the miniatures. You can probably get four good games for the same price. You should be confident that having this game will give you enough enjoyment.

This is a classic example of the thing that is too much for a sensible person to buy for themselves. Which just makes it the ideal thing to get as a present. Start dropping hints.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Erratik wrote:
No board game is really worth $200 unless you play the hell out of it. If you already know this probably won't get played often, then the only reason to get it is the miniatures. I admit they are sweet, but are you going to display them or will they sit in a closet, untouched, for years?


I think the plan is for GEG to sell resin versions of the miniatures separately. I also suspect that once all the Kickstarter backers get their extra collectors miniatures (one of each model) they will become available to buy from them. I certainly plan to see if I can recoup some of the cost by selling these.

I doubt CW will go out of print soon so if someone wanted it for the minis I'd advise them to wait six months or so and see what the availability and costs of the collectors versions look like on the secondary market.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've written a review in the Cthulhu Wars forum here that you can read over.

I want to just say something to the community at large.
This game is much, much more than just big miniatures. The miniatures obviously are why the game is so expensive, but the game is actually very, very good if you enjoy asymmetrical play.

Also - the $200 MSRP - I expect you'll see it on sale for around $140 or $130 from OLGS. Still really expensive, yes, but for me when I was deciding if I wanted to get it or not, I looked at like 3-4 games that I was "meh" on, sold them and used it to buy Cthulhu Wars.

I've gotten to the point where I have a weekly group that plays 2 games of Cthulhu Wars in between our classes at law school. It's a blast and a game that definitely rewards repeated play.

I say - jump right in!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:
I've written a review in the Cthulhu Wars forum here that you can read over.

I want to just say something to the community at large.
This game is much, much more than just big miniatures. The miniatures obviously are why the game is so expensive, but the game is actually very, very good if you enjoy asymmetrical play.

Also - the $200 MSRP - I expect you'll see it on sale for around $140 or $130 from OLGS. Still really expensive, yes, but for me when I was deciding if I wanted to get it or not, I looked at like 3-4 games that I was "meh" on, sold them and used it to buy Cthulhu Wars.

I've gotten to the point where I have a weekly group that plays 2 games of Cthulhu Wars in between our classes at law school. It's a blast and a game that definitely rewards repeated play.

I say - jump right in!


The price makes sense for you since you play it often, but if you read the original post, you'll see he probably will not get it to the table regularly, and that if it wasn't for the minis he most likely wouldn't even consider it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering what many of us pay for games each year, $200 almost seems like a drop in the barrel.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
Considering what many of us pay for games each year, $200 almost seems like a drop in the barrel.


I don't see how that works. I spend several thousand dollars per year on food, but that doesn't mean I have no issue dropping $300 for on meal at a five star restaurant.

Some people may spend $200 on games in a year, others $2000, but that doesn't change the value of each individual game.

Again, I have no problem with people spending their money how they like, but given the original poster's description, I don't know if this particular game is worth it for him.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
Standard dudes on a map.


Whatever you think of the game, the miniatures or anything describing Cthulhu Wars as "standard dudes on a map" is hugely misleading. Cthulhu Wars has very little in common with the likes of Nexus Ops, Risk or Heroscape. It is actually much closer to euro/ameritrash hybrids such as Eclipse, Cyclades or Chaos in the Old World. Heck, I think it is actually closer to Rattus than it is Risk.

Is it worth $200 though? Hard to say, as I've yet only played 4 times. I do know that I've dropped more than that in some occasions and so far the game does seem very promising.

I'd love to recommend the game, but if you think you won't be able to play it I guess there's really no reason to get it. Just to make certain - it's not a particularly long or difficult game. The game is easy to teach and plays in about 90 minutes.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get Chaos in the Old World which Cthulhu Wars has pretty much just ripped off. It only MSRPs for $60 and it is a better game with more meaningful choices.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What's the deal with board games?
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're an adult, I assume, and you shouldn't need permission from other adults to buy something you clearly realized you don't need and aren't going to use.

Getting pretty sick of these stupid threads.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stanstanminson wrote:
You're an adult, I assume, and you shouldn't need permission from other adults to buy something you clearly realized you don't need and aren't going to use.

Getting pretty sick of these stupid threads.


The guy is a gamer just like us, and he's looking for advice from the community. What's so wrong with that?

Sure, he knows he probably shouldn't spend that much on a game, but he's asking people their opinion and perhaps somebody will change his mind about it.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stanstanminson wrote:
You're an adult, I assume, and you shouldn't need permission from other adults to buy something you clearly realized you don't need and aren't going to use.

Getting pretty sick of these stupid threads.

Stupid is, of course, subjective.

My original post was meant to be mildly humorous and to open up a pros and cons debate that I might find interesting/useful/amusing. So far it has delivered. People have offered some good perspectives on the game.

I could make whatever decision I'm going to make on my own, as I make most of my gaming decisions, but I thought with such a big ticket item, why not see what the hive mind has to say. Doing so doesn't make me any less of an adult. I may be affected by peoples' opinions, but I'll still be making my own decision with my own money.

If you don't like the discussion, you don't have to read it, or join in. However, I assume venting as you did serves some need for you, scratches some inner itch; so by providing you with a target, I've done you a favor. You're welcome!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the same road to insanity.

I'm always short on either time, money, or storage space, and Cthulhu Wars is fat in all three ways. But, oh man is it a tempting game.

I probably wont get it, and I console myself about that decision by noting that I will almost certainly never own all the neat doo-dads that go with it, and that will bother the collector part of my brain to no end.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is actually much closer to euro/ameritrash hybrids such as Eclipse, Cyclades or Chaos in the Old World


...and if that intrigues you, get all 3 of those and STILL save some money compared to buying CW.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
skutsch wrote:
Cthulhu Wars has a $200 MSRP.

It's huge, my game closet is already bursting.

My chances of playing it are iffy. My main gaming group is my wife and child, not necessarily big fans (although you never know with the wife, she has a fiendish side; and teenagers are naturally fiendish). I do have a gaming buddy I could drag it over to, so maybe…

But it's big and has cool minis and it's Lovecraft and…

Somebody stop me before I open The Box That Unleashes Mindless Horrors!

No, really, tell me that a guy who plays mostly Agricola and Innovation these days doesn't need a giant dudes on a map game with a cool theme. Or, if you're in league with the Old Ones, tell me to buy, and my soul be damned.

Didn't you just make a post about how you've lost control and have been buying too many games?

That right there should be reason enough. I'm sure this was suggested in the other post, but maybe sit down with your wife and draw up a budget for future game purchases. Just having a visual of your spending habits could help to curb the desire, especially for a $200 game that you claim likely won't get played much. Or sell some of your current games to make up the difference.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
Considering what many of us pay for games each year, $200 almost seems like a drop in the barrel.


Perhaps for many titles, however for a single game (that may or may not get played) that is a lot of money. Context applies in this situation.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
benchilada wrote:
skutsch wrote:
Cthulhu Wars has a $200 MSRP.

It's huge, my game closet is already bursting.

My chances of playing it are iffy. My main gaming group is my wife and child, not necessarily big fans (although you never know with the wife, she has a fiendish side; and teenagers are naturally fiendish). I do have a gaming buddy I could drag it over to, so maybe…

But it's big and has cool minis and it's Lovecraft and…

Somebody stop me before I open The Box That Unleashes Mindless Horrors!

No, really, tell me that a guy who plays mostly Agricola and Innovation these days doesn't need a giant dudes on a map game with a cool theme. Or, if you're in league with the Old Ones, tell me to buy, and my soul be damned.

Didn't you just make a post about how you've lost control and have been buying too many games?

That right there should be reason enough. I'm sure this was suggested in the other post, but maybe sit down with your wife and draw up a budget for future game purchases. Just having a visual of your spending habits could help to curb the desire, especially for a $200 game that you claim likely won't get played much. Or sell some of your current games to make up the difference.

I appreciate the responsible suggestions, really I do. However, you may be under the mistaken impression that I'm a responsible adult. Issues of playability and space rate higher than me than money. I do consider money, I do, just not as much as I probably should.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
United States
Yakima
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
skutsch wrote:
I appreciate the responsible suggestions, really I do. However, you may be under the mistaken impression that I'm a responsible adult. Issues of playability and space rate higher than me than money. I do consider money, I do, just not as much as I probably should.

Alternatively, you could construct a shelf made entirely out of your current games to house your new enormous game. This would both save you money on shelving and provide you with more shelf space.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Burk
United States
Frankfort
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As you mentioned, Cthulhu Wars is $200 dollars. Imagine the activities (one or more) you could do with your wife and child that would have a total cost of $200.

If you think that you will get at least as much of an experience out of owning that game as you would doing one or many other things with your family, then go ahead. Otherwise, buy a average-priced game, play that, and then use the extra money to go do something else with your family.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.