Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I love this game! Played it a couple of times with a group and multiple times solo. (Can't imagine playing with 5-8 though! )

The first two times I played the game, we had a problem keeping the cards in the correct piles. Since all the cards have the same back art, when face down every card looks the same. I normally sleeve with clear sleeves but wanted to try something different to help with game flow. So here is what I decided to do.

All cards that could potentially go into my hand I sleeved with Blue backed sleeves. Apex, Starting, Evolve, Affliction and Alert cards are all blue back.

All cards that went on the hunt trail in red. So all dinosaurs not with an Apex are red backed. This means red cards will only be in the Hunt deck or trail, Hoard pile or Den pile.

All cards with the Environment deck in black. I also included the Disaster and Defensive stance with black backs.

What I discovered is it really helps game flow and appearance. With all the decks out there the back art on the cards added to the cluttered look of the table. While it is awesome art it was a little bit of an overload with that many decks and individual cards on the table (especially with several nesting grounds in play). Now the individual cards really stand out.

More importantly it has helped with cleanup. It is easy to separate by color and then divide the cards out. Also, during game play I don't accidentally put my den cards in my discard pile or my carcass cards in the den.

Overall I feel it has made things much easier for me and has helped the appearance of the game. This is now what my hunting ground looks like with a jungle background :

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/2429177/apex-theropod-deck-bu...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a really great idea, thanks for sharing! I do something very similar for my Legendary Encounters Alien game and it makes a big difference in sorting cards for setup and teardown.

Can't wait to be playing this game myself!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I am going to burst your bubble. =)

The Sarcosuchus, Giant croc, player deck has an Apex card in it that gets put into the Hunt deck: Rogue, there are 3 of them and is a key card for that deck.

=)

That is the only one. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturm88 wrote:
Alright, I am going to burst your bubble. =)

The Sarcosuchus, Giant croc, player deck has an Apex card in it that gets put into the Hunt deck: Rogue, there are 3 of them and is a key card for that deck.

=)

That is the only one. =)

Wait, I noticed the Ambush text on that card, but figured it just went off when it was hatched from the Apex deck. Does it say anywhere in the rules (or on the card) that it should go in the Hunt deck? If not, how were we to know that?

EDIT: I do really like this game, but I feel like Herschel could've used some help (even more than the tweaking for retail) in making the rulebook soluble. I thereby offer my services as a sometimes journalist for all future games.

DOUBLE EDIT: I am dumb and need to look at the cards for more than half a second, no matter how excited I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Kochinka
United States
minneola
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yeah I generally stick to one color sleeves because you never know when an update or expansion will add cards someplace they normally shouldn't be. All of Apex cards have their type listed on them so it's pretty easy to sort them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the functionality, opaque sleeves just feels so wrong... have you stopped to notice how amazing the artwork on the back of the card is?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.