England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a 'BIG' fan of Drakon. I've owned the 1st editon, the 2nd edition, the 2nd edition expansion, and now I'm the proud owner of the 3rd incarnation of the game.

How does this edition differ from the previous versions you may ask. Well for starters the tiles are a lot bigger. They also have a kind of matt cloth texture look about them, but they are paper and not cloth, as you will realise when you come to punch them out. The 1st & 2nd editions had the same punch/tear problem, and it has reared its ugly head in this version. Each tile is held in its sprue by about twelve strong points. Why they couldn't use a bigger cutter and less hold points is beyond my knowledge, but you end up with three card bobbles on each edge of the tile. A nightmare to punch out if you don't be careful. The best way is to loosen them up and down to break the seam, rather than twist and pull like my wife did on her first attempt. "No Becky don't you'll rip them!" "No I wo..OOPS"!

Also instead of the cardboard characters on plastic slotta bases, there are now a set of finely detailed plastic miniatures. These portray the characters in a somewhat darker fashion than I would have liked. Testosterone pumped brooding hero's are the order of the day - that wouldn't look out of place in a game of Descent... "NOW HANG ON A MINUTE!!!". Like I say this takes away a bit of the fun feel of the previous versions. Drakon in its previous forms has always (to me at least) had a fun look to it; Wizards with big floppy hats and Dwarfs with bulbous rubber noses.

The rules have been tweaked slightly to accomodate 3-4 variants of play. The coin gathering is still there, but this time around each coin drawn has a value denominated on it which is kept secret from your opponents, with the winner being the first to amount a value of 10. Now a player may almost have that amount by the time they've picked up 3 coins. There are also variants for team play, escaping through teleports with set amounts, and the original favourite of 5 seperate coins regardless of each coins value.

The optional special abilities remain the same. This time each of the Special Ability chits are identical, rather than each player having individually designed ones. No big deal, but I do like colours for each player.

One bonus is the inclusion of 'some' of the tiles from the 2nd edition expansion.The Drakon herself now roams the halls and corridors as standard. But these expansion tiles are thin on the ground & most of my favourites will be sorely missed.

These cards are absent from the 3rd edition base game:

Wishing Well
Heavy Gale
*Magical Vortex

(*text replaced with Teleport)

From the expansion the following cards have been dropped:

Drakons Bargain
Locked Chest
The Void
Moving Chambers
Base Structure
Tornado
Secret Passage
Friendly Visit
*Small Room

*Now there are tiles that do look similar to the Small Room tiles from the 2nd edition expansion. I wonder if anyone has tried using the (only one player allowed in) variant with these particular rooms, or whether it's something missing from the rules?

Fingers crossed the omitted tiles will show up in an expansion for this edition.

Overall and a few minor negative points aside, Drakon is still a firm favourite of mine. With the Drakon herself as standard to help scupper any plans the adventurers might have, the game is still as devious as ever, and the Drakon was always a character I hated to have on my path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Gunter
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I too have this new edition and have run into the problem of the tiles tearing somewhat to get them out. You have to be very careful and very patient when getting this game ready. Other than that, the components are nice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my 3rd edition last week, and have been busy "washing" the figures (see the Drakon page- I posted them already!). I agree, the figures are more ominous-looking than I thought they would be, but that Drakon figure is fantastic!

Yes, those tiles were a bugger to get broken out- I sat and took plenty of time, breaking the seems and carefully popping them out. But they are very nice, thick and with a nice linen texture.

A+ to those at Fantasy Flight for spending some time and getting this right. Yes, I do hope at least one expansion comes out with extra tiles, some cards, and perhaps a new advisary or two.

Hey, Cave Troll is going to get the same treatment- Watch For It !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use a sharp craft knife to cut 'join points' when punching out counters and tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the tiles were a big pain in the arse, and left large lumpy edges after punched out. For about half of them I did the fold on the seam thing and that was ok, but I got a much nicer edge when I used a sharp knife to cut them first (and it went much quicker). I'd settle for Carcassonne/Hey! That's My Fish tile thickness if it meant they would have a descent edge.

And my wife commented on the character pieces immediatly. She was amused at the 'large coconuts' on the thief character. "Boys", with a little shake of her head was her response.

Quote:
The optional special abilities remain the same. Although I don't remember the ruling that if you were reduced to 'no' cards in your hand you couldn't move, but it's a nice touch even if I overlooked it before!

The rules I have say that if you don't have tiles you are still free to move:
Quote:
If you have no chambers in your hand, you may not place a chamber or draw a chamber from the draw pile. On your turn, you may only move your hero. If you cannot move your hero, you may not take your turn and you are skipped.

Is there a different printing for England? Or am I just missing the fine print someplace? That basically means that if you steal someone's card repeatedly that they are removed from the game as they can't place tiles, AND they can't move. Pretty cut-throat... interesting idea. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If you have no chambers in your hand, you may not place a chamber or draw a chamber from the draw pile. On your turn, you may only move your hero. If you cannot move your hero, you may not take your turn and you are skipped.

Is there a different printing for England? Or am I just missing the fine print someplace? That basically means that if you steal someone's card repeatedly that they are removed from the game as they can't place tiles, AND they can't move. Pretty cut-throat... interesting idea. devil

Oops! my mistake, it's the same as before. I'll edit the review a tad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Quote:

Oops! my mistake, it's the same as before. I'll edit the review a tad!

No worries. Just wondering if there were different versions of the rules floating around. It does bring up an interesting idea of complete player elimination element to an already cut throat game. I'd think there'd need to be another card that could do a similar elemination type move to balance it out a bit more.

I'm also kind of hoping for an expansion. I like the game a lot and more options are always a nice way to refresh a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I mentioned previously, some of the tiles look kind of narrow. In the expanion there were narrow tiles which had the characteristic of only allowing one player at a time to enter into them.

You could always try that one for starters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:
Like I mentioned previously, some of the tiles look kind of narrow. In the expanion there were narrow tiles which had the characteristic of only allowing one player at a time to enter into them.

You could always try that one for starters.

That's a very interesting idea. I'll have to give that a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lebo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank's for your excellent post!

I am a fan of Drakon as well. I owned the first edition and currently own the second edition with expansions. Unfortunately, I don't get alot of chances these days to play, and my wife would frown upon me purchasing a 3rd edition of this game.

I believe that since I own the second edition with expansion, I should be able to convert this to the 3rd edition fairly easily. A second edition owner with expansion like myself could easily choose the exact tiles to match the 3rd edition and place a sticker on the back of the gold coins to reflect their hidden denomination.

I would be appreciate if anyone is able to post the tile distribution for the 3rd edition including the hidden gold distribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coins:
5 @ 1 Value
18 @ 2 Value
5 @ 3 Value

Empty:
4 Rooms - 1 Exit
2 Rooms - 2 Exits Opposite
1 Room - 2 Exits - Adjacent
3 Rooms - 3 Exits

Lose A Coin:
2 Rooms - 3 Exits

Floating Room:
3 Rooms - 2 Exits - Adjacent

Escape:
1 Room - 2 Exits - Opposite
2 Rooms - 2 Exits - Adjacent

Drakon Moves:
1 Room - 1 Exit

Destroy a Chamber:

Gold:
5 Rooms - 1 Exit
4 Rooms - 2 Exits - Opposite
4 Rooms - 2 Exits - Adjacent
2 Rooms - 3 Exits

Magic Harp:
1 Room - 1 Exit

Teleport:
3 Rooms - ???

Master Key:
3 Rooms - ???

Mind Control:

Rotate a Chamber
1 Room - 1 Exit

Magical Shift:
2 Rooms - 2 Exits - Opposite

Map Chamber:
1 Room - 2 Exits - Opposite

Start Chamber:
1 Room - 3 Exits

Steal a Coin (Clockwise):
1 Room - 1 Exit

Steal a Coin (Anticlockwise):
1 Room - 1 Exit

Strong Wind:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lebo
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting the coin and tile distribution!!!! I can't thank you enough. I look forward to to looking to trying to piece together a 3rd edition using my 2nd edition with expansion and see if the tiles match up or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Stenström
Finland
Siuntio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Drakon 3rd edition about a week ago at the local gamestore. Yes, the tiles were a pain to punch out, but there seemed to be a bigger problem which led to the game still being partially unpunched - the tiles SMELLED. They reeked of week old wommit. gulp I was just wondering if I'm the only one who has experienced this problem? It's a first for me.

Sad, 'cause I really wanted to give the game a try, but as it is now I won't be able to. I'm trying to have them "aired" hoping that it would solve the problem. But I'm still quite unpleased soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plush wrote:
I bought Drakon 3rd edition about a week ago at the local gamestore. Yes, the tiles were a pain to punch out, but there seemed to be a bigger problem which led to the game still being partially unpunched - the tiles SMELLED. They reeked of week old wommit. gulp I was just wondering if I'm the only one who has experienced this problem? It's a first for me.

Sad, 'cause I really wanted to give the game a try, but as it is now I won't be able to. I'm trying to have them "aired" hoping that it would solve the problem. But I'm still quite unpleased soblue
Mine didn't smell any worse than any other game I've recently purchased (and didn't smell at all compared to the toxic fumes from Nexus Ops).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plush wrote:
the tiles SMELLED. They reeked of week old wommit. gulp I was just wondering if I'm the only one who has experienced this problem? It's a first for me.

I'm glad someone else has noticed this too. See the Geeklist - Games That Stink, and I mean really stink!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14734

I posted a comment about this whiffy game there.

Maybe it's a new trend. I look forward to a zombie game that smells of rotting flesh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I didn't notice the smell too bad on my copy, but whoo-whee, a friend of mine had a copy with tiles that smelled like straight-up fresh vomit. The smell has subsided substantially since the last time I played though... Thankfully! gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Allard
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine had that smell as well ... comes from packaging slightly damp cardboard in plastic shrink wrap. They should allow the tiles more time to dry first.

I did find that letting them sit out over night for a couple nights pretty much got rid of any residual odor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Cross
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Nice Review of a great game,

Here's a tip for punching out game parts that works pretty well for me.

I place the unpunched sheet on the carpet in our family room (or wherever) and press in the middle of each piece to punch it out. I think this works because the frame is supported by the carpet and therefore balances the force against it when pushing the piece out.

You may think I'm a bit punchy.....and you'd be right.

Cheers,

Larry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.