Subject: Table for boardgaming... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Legzdins
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As my last boardgame table broked down, i will need to buy a new one, but i want to hear your opinion about this first

What do u think is the best kind of table for boardgaming ?

High or low table ? Square, round or some other shape ? Transformable table or simple one ? What about any other features, like some additional racks/shelves in it ? And the weight of it, heavy or light one ? And the material ?

I just know that many of u here have had much more board game experience as i have, so i really would like to hear your thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer round tables for boardgaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools
I have an old-school card table that's fantastic. The legs fold underneath for easy storage. With legs unfolded, it's "bridge table" size - not very big, but great for small games / card games. It also unfolds to a table 2x as wide. Great for medium games. However, still not big enough for "big box" games - for that I have to put extra leaves in the dining room table...

Edit: P.S. If you go the card table route, you need a really strong (preferably old and heavy) one like mine (circa 1930's), not a crappy aluminum-and-plastic 1950's era card table - the poor quality tables just can't stand up in the long run, and they wobble terribly - you'll have minis/figures/game pieces rolling all over the place. I'll look at the name when I get home later and add that as a new post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uffe
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played on a large octagon table today and it seemed like the ideal shape for boardgaming when you are more than four players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like my dining room table for gaming. A good wood table, ideal size for any games with up to 6. A nice large, felt topped poker table would probably work nicely too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put this table together for very little money, and we love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...those cup holders would def. come in handy! I actually "built" a custom table:

I took an existing table (which I bought cheap)= $50 with four chairs...

I bought(4) shelving wood (8' long sheets)- with finished tops/bottoms and cut them down and mounted them together and put moldings on the sides....

It turned out to be a 6' x 5' table!!! Great for big board games like Most of Eagle Games, many of the "Big" box games for Fantasy Flight (like Decent, WoW, Twilight Imp. 3rd ed, etc)... just about any game you can think of... fits nicely!

Sure, it was some work but was well worth it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msherwoo wrote:
I put this table together for very little money, and we love it.

I love the cup holders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the bottom has fallen out of the poker market, some of the table makers are bound to start having sales. Something from this site (in the less garish color options) would be quite comfortable for boardgaming:

http://www.pimpmypoker.com/index1.html

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have two game tables - I would recommend either one.

Downstairs we have a heavy-duty dining table, very stable. This is good because some of the guys in our local gaming group are on the large side (gamer medium?) and like to lean on the table.

In the upstairs game room we have a dual-purpose octagonal poker table. One side is solid wood, good for large campaign/wargames. Flip it over and you have the felted poker side, good for Euros with the parts bins and drink holders and, of course, for poker night.

Any way you go, I recommend a table that is solid in construction, as gamers seem to have a tendency to lean heavily on their playing surfaces.

And give some thought to the drink holders - they are a great feature if they are deep enough to keep the drinks from being knocked over. Otherwise, they look like a recipe for sodden games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.