Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

well as the title says people are gather round a table theres still nibbles out not that much space we clear a space for a fun Engaging game

Villa was great a real show stopper of a game, though not that much to it
Jenga is just a bit to week

Blokus is fun but maybe something that scales a bit better? some times 2-3 for times after x-mas

thinks im considering

1) not sure of name Crokioal? looks like a dex game balanceing things on a pizza on a spire

2) hamster roll? does it need much space to roll?

3) gulo gulo will older people like it 25-30 year olds? or is it to kiddy?

4) quick sand looks fun and simple

5) diamant proabaly getting this

SO what do you think of the above and do you have anything that might be better?

Even card game likr things like Guillotine etc...but prefer a meatter good looking game to impress

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: after dinner party-ish games Like Villa palleti or bloku
My problem with games like Jenga, Hamsteroll, Villa Pelleti, etc. is that it's a big buildup where you only participate on your turn, and then the catastrophe happens. The person who caused it loses, and it's pretty much over, unless you score for each round, which I have never seen anyone do.

Diamant, or Incan Gold, fixes that, to some degree, because at least you get the simple decision each turn to explore or retreat. The disaster happens 5 different times, so even if you get crushed twice, you could still win. And it takes up to 8 players.

How about Balloon Cup too? This is along the lines of Diamant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The balancing game you describe might well be Bamboleo.

Bausack is good, so is N-tropy

No, Gulo Gulo is not to kiddish. A few wines and you'll have a great time!

Males may esp enjoy Loopin' Louie as a fun dexterity game - now back in print (Toys R Us do it).

You about got the rest, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eva
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Saboteur is really fun, but I will not play it with less than 5 people.

For 2-4 players, I would recommend Pueblo or even Rumis. However, this last one (Rumis) can be really cutthroat.

I second dipdragon's recommendation of Ingenious since it is a great game and it scales really well from 1 to 4 players. Yes, I sometimes play the solitaire version!blush

In terms of dexterity, Polaris seems really good, but I have never tried it, only looked at plays of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually pull out Metro... Bandu/Bausack is also a great choice as well.

Personally, I think Villa Paletti is also good.

For a card game, I suggest Burn Rate if you can find it and perhaps Guillotine.

If you want something a bit more cerebral, but not too much - get Agora from Cheapass and invest in some nice glass baubles.

If you want a couple of nice abstract choices - get Quoridor, Sybridge, and/or Cityscape. BTW - these look gorgeous so you will impress your guests... And don't forget good old dominoes.

Lastly, for party games, Spinergy can't be beat and Cranium is good when you have a larger group. I haven't tried Pass the Bomb yet, but it looks fun.

Bottomline - get what you think will be best for your group... These hopefully provide some interesting alternatives...

Cheers!
Paul

PS - For my group, I have yet to have them try ulo Gulo without kids playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Make 'n' Break?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go for the other variants of Blokus: The Travel edition is for 2, Blokus Trigon for 2-4,Gemblo for 2-6... and they look and play subtly different. Especially GemBlo is purty.

Tantrix tiles are great in a party setting because it doesn't matter if you spill drinks on them. Yes, there is a game there even if Tantrix is perhaps slightly better known as a puzzle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try something unusual and off the wall, you might like Cairo. It's kind of El Grande meets Carabande.

I picked up a copy of this at Spieloffensive.de a couple of years ago for €12! Don't know if they still do it. Cairo is one of those one-off games here. Very much an original and great fun - BUT the rules are very badly over-written. They go on for pages for what is actually a simple game. I could explain it to you in 5 minds, but it may take you 30 mins to work out the rules!

Fun short games -

For Sale
High Society (maybe too cut-throat for after wine, though)
King's Breakfast
Take 6
Plumpsack (you will laugh and laugh after a few drinks!)

If you want something REALLY easy, but still edgy, you can't beat Kliene Fische.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with someone else's post about dexterity games: Villa Paletta, Hamsterolle, bausack etc. There's a hugh buildup then someone screws it up.

Here are some good party games that worked well with my group (I'm making choices that scale up for large groups).

Oodles of Doodles
Scattergories
Taboo (old mainstay)
Wits and Wagers (lots of fun)

They are the usual party games that are fun but offer similar concepts.

If you want card/eurogames,

Saboteur
Bang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my vote for both Diamant which is very cheap if bought from Germany and Saboteur . For both games I would say the more the merrier at least 4-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the feedback some games ive never seen or considered there, keep em coming

OK narrowing it down to Basuak or bamblo
Rummis , Diamant and ingenois if i can find it in tk max would help lots!

A pants torres i want too... a few to many only got 2 brothers to buy for who would like a game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Diamant and Saboteur but would throw No Merci into the equation. This would be great for an after dinner game and is dead cheap too - £6 plus 60p P&P from http://www.pevans.co.uk/Games

I would avoid Hamsterolle. It looks far more fun than it really is.

Wits and Wagers is great fun. I will buy it if they ever release a UK edition. Until then, just ask your guests to bring along a couple of questions with a numerical answer that people can guess at. You obviously don't get to bid on your own questions! Rules are available on the Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.