Subject: 3D board production rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dylan coyle
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. laugh

Currently designing a post-colonial sci-fi game with 3D astroid boards. Or not. Because it's hard. We got the game to work with just cards or on a 2D board game, and the rest of the team thinks we should keep it (or at least start) with the easiest functional version.

But I really want to mass produce 3D boards and wondering if you guys have any suggestions before I just start getting quotes from panda or alibaba or something.

The 3D board concept started when I figured out that Lego flick cannons fit snugly in holes in card board. I used the usps priority mail envelops I got the legos and some books in for the prototype. If you turn them inside out, the corners look like cool caverns and craters.

But those took forever to punch and paint, so I tried print and fold, or painted foam. Both are ok, but they don't have the same feel as the big cardboard envelopes.

For mass producing, just flat boards with no flick cannons works. Printing on or transferring to flat foam is an option. Maybe I find a place to make custom 3D foam astroids? or just go to a toy manufacturer and design a plastic one (long term and high volume only??).

I feel like I'm missing something simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk B
Poland
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You could apply hexagonal grid onto triangles (it will perfectly line up)
and get whole set printed on magnetic and foldable material like steel, then cut out.
If made right it should look really realistic with pieces being held on it just by "gravity".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Scott Grant
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I see here is a gimick. Not that gimicks are bad things, but you really need to justify it as part of your game. Can Star Trek Fleet Captains be played without the Hero-Clix ship minaiatures? Absolutely, but would I have bought the game without them? Probably not. They are cool and make a relatively complicated game with way too many fiddly bits fun to play (and visually pleasing).

So it's not that I'm against the idea.

I'm no expert on 3-d modeling, and you've already tried a couple things I would have suggested. But there are a couple more things you can try:

1. Wire frame with paper-mache or similar surface material.
2. 3-D Printing

Also, instead of holes, try thin metal sheeting underneath the surface and your pieces can attach to the "asteroid" magnetically.

Just thoughts...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk B
Poland
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also one more thing: MODULES.
producing a bunch of small and relatively similar components is cheaper and gives you more variable terrain then a single big model with lots of detail, but no changeable elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan coyle
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thanks! Yeah, tried the one cut and fold, and was looking into more exquisite kirigami methods for complex and curved surfaces. Metal and magnets are fun, but so expensive for any print run and shipping. Plus there's conflict sourcing of the better magnets. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan coyle
United States
California
flag msg tools
Good thoughts though. I was considering 3-d printing anyway, since I could lose the legos and make the board and pieces myself, or let others 3d print them at home. Would be kinda meta, since the technology is used in-game as well. Putting it on my learning curve wish list. At the very least, it would be good to test before plastic mold injection.

Yeah, the 3d board idea raises my gimmick flag too. Having a wrap-around board is cool, but not necessary. Hanging the board from a canopy bed was cool, but so fringe. Trying some line-of-sight rules was fun but made for unneeded conflicts. Even using the legos seemed like a gimmick after a while, but at least they were a cost effective way to simplify the game field, like your hero-clix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan coyle
United States
California
flag msg tools
katzi wrote:
Also one more thing: MODULES.
producing a bunch of small and relatively similar components is cheaper and gives you more variable terrain then a single big model with lots of detail, but no changeable elements.

That was one of the other designer's answer too. Probably the wisest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
void mice wrote:
Thanks! Yeah, tried the one cut and fold, and was looking into more exquisite kirigami methods for complex and curved surfaces. Metal and magnets are fun, but so expensive for any print run and shipping. Plus there's conflict sourcing of the better magnets. yuk

There is spray paint available that magnets will stick to. Apply it to some cardboard and then paint or decal over the top. Also, adhesive sheet magnets you can apply whatever you want to the back and cut to size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eryk B
Poland
Wroclaw
Lower Silesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's am awesome idea, I'll look around for this one and see what can be done with it.
Can you name the brand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
katzi wrote:
That's am awesome idea, I'll look around for this one and see what can be done with it.
Can you name the brand?

Krylon and Rust-o-leum both make it. Krylon's is a paint and Rust-o-leum is a primer, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dylan coyle
United States
California
flag msg tools
HaNd_SoLo wrote:
There is spray paint available that magnets will stick to. Apply it to some cardboard and then paint or decal over the top. Also, adhesive sheet magnets you can apply whatever you want to the back and cut to size.

I definitely want to try this for home games. Was reading some blogs about magnetic paint, and with enough coats it can do some cool things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.