Kevin Wilhelm
msg tools
mb
Hello Friends,

I'm in the process of putting together my first kickstarter for a card game that I've created.

I'm budgeting out my cost for production, against selling price and determining my budget for the purpose of setting my Kickstarter goal... but I have one question that I'm hoping someone here can help me answer.

My game consists of a tuckbox with 100 cards, pretty simple. So, based on my research, it looks like shipping anywhere in the USA, will cost me $5.95 at most with a flat rate shipping box. Perfect, that is easy for me to budget. What I'm having trouble finding is what kind of shipping cost would be associated with delivery to Europe?

Ideally, I'd like to have shipping included for my backers on Kickstarter, but this is another point where I'd like to hear the advice/ opinions from other people.

Thanks for any help and input guys! This forum has been an indispensable resource for helping to make my game a reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://stonemaiergames.com/shipping-and-fulfillment/

Also, the designer of sushi go! and pack of heroes also offered free shipping to the world (a long time ago), maybe he could give you some advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher B
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
[url]http://secretbasegames.com/secret-blog/18-good-cheap-fast-gl...
[/url]

Another good way to do international shipping (not just to Europe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilhelm
msg tools
mb
Thank you guys! These are terrific resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Tarkvunder wrote:
[url]http://secretbasegames.com/secret-blog/18-good-cheap-fast-gl...
[/url]

Another good way to do international shipping (not just to Europe).

Hi Kevin, I wrote this resource and can assure you that the Send From China method will work perfectly well for a small game like yours.

It might even be competitive to send it direct to US backers from China by airmail.

How much does it weigh? What is its base pledge value excluding shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an international backer on many kickstarter projects, nothing annoys me more than seeing "Free US delivery" and "just add $500 for international deliveries".

While there is an assumption that there is a subsidy on all orders equal to what is being paid for US delivery, it annoys me that this is not explicitly stated and makes me feel as I am being gouged more. I acknowledge international shipping is a MASSIVE cost, but much prefer it to be in addition to the base pledge for EVERYONE.

Example:

Base Pledge: $X
US Shipping: +$5
Canada: +$15
Europe: +$25
Rest of World: +$500

Final addition, if you can find some way to get international shipping down to a reasonable level (ie less than 50% of the base pledge) by sorting out some sort of regional distributors, that much the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin delp
United States
Greer
SC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for asking this question. I'm working with a company as well that is starting to do research for launching a game on kickstarter! This is great information to glean :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilhelm
msg tools
mb
This is great to know. I was planning to do exactly what you hate, even if I would "take off" $5 from the shipping to other countries I think you are right and it may be better to explicitly show the backer what it is going to cost me to ship it, even if they are in the USA.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Kevinwilhelm wrote:
This is great to know. I was planning to do exactly what you hate, even if I would "take off" $5 from the shipping to other countries I think you are right and it may be better to explicitly show the backer what it is going to cost me to ship it, even if they are in the USA.

Thanks!

Kevin did you read my 3 part series?

Good, cheap fast global kickstarter fulfillment - part 1.

Its a great global fulfillment solution for small kickstarter games made in China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
There's always the option of shipping only to the US.

It's frowned upon and will cost you some backers (I'm a European myself), but there is something to be said for keeping your first project as simple and managable as possible.

Just giving you another option to consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilhelm
msg tools
mb
kbrebach wrote:
Kevinwilhelm wrote:

Thanks!

Kevin did you read my 3 part series?

Good, cheap fast global kickstarter fulfillment - part 1.

Its a great global fulfillment solution for small kickstarter games made in China.

Yes I did read your article, thank you it was very informative. SFC is one option that I am looking into and definitely appreciate that article. This being my first project, I wanted to get a feel for what else would be out there. Actually, after doing more research on other options, they are looking like a very good option.

EDIT: To answer your above questions: The base pledge value will be only $15 and consist of 90 cards in a tuck box so the weight will be very light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilhelm
msg tools
mb
khendrix wrote:
There's always the option of shipping only to the US.

It's frowned upon and will cost you some backers (I'm a European myself), but there is something to be said for keeping your first project as simple and managable as possible.

Just giving you another option to consider.

This is regrettably the simplest option. I would hate to limit the market for my game, particularly if it could be the difference between my project succeeding and failing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilhelm
msg tools
mb
tequila_j wrote:
http://stonemaiergames.com/shipping-and-fulfillment/

Also, the designer of sushi go! and pack of heroes also offered free shipping to the world (a long time ago), maybe he could give you some advice.

Thank you for the resource. I've been finding them to be a bible of sorts during this project. Cannot recommend reading this enough to anyone who is looking into board game design

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.