United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31626357

Obviously I don't mean this specific report (I decided before Googling VC I would use the first relevant hit I found) but the event, which has a US connection. No one here has commented, so I thought I'd ask how it's playing, or indeed if it's playing.

(You can be sure that were it the other way round it would get reported here, though not first item on news as this has been.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadn't heard of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hadn't heard of it, and a quick search seems to indicate it hasn't appeared in any US based reporting,. which seems pretty crappy. Although, to be fair, it doesn't appear to be that widely reported in the UK either. I see BBC, Radio 1 and the Daily Mail, along with a local paper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not heard anything about it, but... wow. And we should have heard about it here, since part of the combat action was him saving an American.

I have the same respect for soldiers who have Victoria Cross as I do the Medal of Honor, as do all the other veterans I know.

I was not aware that the Victoria Cross had become, much like the US Medal of Honor until very very recently, an award given only to brave dead men and not living ones.

Glad to see the British Government recognized that living soldiers can earn the award as well, and glad to see that he is being rewarded for his bravery.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Drew1365 wrote:
No, we only get news about how Scott Walker refused to answer a couple gotcha questions, and this totally disqualifies him for the presidency.

Uhhh, no, the fact that Scott Walker so brazenly refused to answer the "What is your position on the Theory of Evolution?" question is NOT the only reason that totally disqualifies him for the Presidency.

In fact, there are whole bunch of reasons that disqualify him from such serious consideration besides that one above.

Moreover, there's no "Gotcha!" to a question if you don't have an answer that you desperately want to hide or keep out of the sight and mind of the public like Scott Walker does on a great many things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's on wikipedia's front page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
I hadn't heard of it, and a quick search seems to indicate it hasn't appeared in any US based reporting,. which seems pretty crappy. Although, to be fair, it doesn't appear to be that widely reported in the UK either. I see BBC, Radio 1 and the Daily Mail, along with a local paper.

No it is on the Guardian and Indie websites too. Didn't check others but I am sure it will be there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:

I was not aware that the Victoria Cross had become, much like the US Medal of Honor until very very recently, an award given only to brave dead men and not living ones.

Well not really - the bit about it being a posthumous award. It is just very rarely awarded.

From the end of WW2 to 1970 there were 9 people awarded the VC, of which only 4 were posthumously awarded. Since 1970 there have been only 6 awards. Two were not posthumous - Private Johnson Beharry in Iraq and now Lance Corporal Joshua Leakey. So I make that 7 living recipients of VCs out of 15 total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
andyl wrote:
damiangerous wrote:

No it is on the Guardian and Indie websites too. Didn't check others but I am sure it will be there somewhere.

I don't really have an explanation then. Maybe because it's not on one of the wires?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Diis wrote:

It's the other way around. The warrant wasn't changed until 1920 to allow for posthumous awards, prior to WW1 there were only ten or so posthumous awards (IIRC all awarded under 'exceptional circumstances' during the Boer War).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this being reported in the US?

If you want the real answer, it is being given about as much attention that another story of valor the movie American Sniper received during the Academy Awards this week.

The Victoria Cross was introduced on 29 January 1856 by Queen Victoria to honour acts of valour in Crimea, a war that Russia lost against an alliance of France, Britain, the Ottoman Empire, and Sardinia.

Well, it is nice to know that

1. Crimea is safe.
2. Russia isn't going to threaten anybody during the next two centuries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
If you want the real answer, it is being given about as much attention that another story of valor the movie American Sniper received during the Academy Awards this week.

I don't think it has received anywhere near that much attention anywhere. It has neither been made into a movie nor nominated for any academy awards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
Madonna fell on stage. Can she get a VC for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:
Have not heard anything about it, but... wow. And we should have heard about it here, since part of the combat action was him saving an American.

I have the same respect for soldiers who have Victoria Cross as I do the Medal of Honor, as do all the other veterans I know.

Glad to see the British Government recognized that living soldiers can earn the award as well, and glad to see that he is being rewarded for his bravery.

Diis
It is given only in the most exceptional circumstances, and thus tends to be given to the dead (Upham excepted of course). Also it can only be given for action under fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Drew1365 wrote:
No, we only get news about how Scott Walker refused to answer a couple gotcha questions, and this totally disqualifies him for the presidency.

Uhhh, no, the fact that Scott Walker so brazenly refused to answer the "What is your position on the Theory of Evolution?" question is NOT the only reason that totally disqualifies him for the Presidency.

In fact, there are whole bunch of reasons that disqualify him from such serious consideration besides that one above.

Moreover, there's no "Gotcha!" to a question if you don't have an answer that you desperately want to hide or keep out of the sight and mind of the public like Scott Walker does on a great many things.

Shut up about American politics when we are discussing real heroes, and not gob shite politicians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Unfortunately, Medal of Honor recipients and such, are only reported in local news, unless one was screwed out of one because of race or sexual preference in years gone by, in which case it makes national news, as it should.
Fuck me does every ting have to go back to how evil gays are?

Shut the fuck up, this is about real bravery in the face of real danger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Unfortunately, Medal of Honor recipients and such, are only reported in local news, unless one was screwed out of one because of race or sexual preference in years gone by, in which case it makes national news, as it should.

What?

Yes, for you libs it does.

Who are you? Give Slater his computer back. Slater would be agreeing and piling on at just how racist America is, as if it had anything at all to do with my response.

The only time medals like this make the national news in the US in a significant way is if it is a belated medal to someone who got screwed out of one decades ago.

Other than a simple "no" that is the best answer to the question asked.
Not in this thread I would not, I would say the same, take your US politics and shove it.

This is not about the USA, or politicians but a very brave man whose actions deserve more respect then you are giving them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
HA! They spelled 'valor' wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
The only time medals like this make the national news in the US in a significant way is if it is a belated medal to someone who got screwed out of one decades ago.

I haven't double checked every response, but I think it probably is.

Here a Victoria Cross or, probably, a George Cross, is automatically newsworthy. Other awards need an extra hook.

(The George Cross is awarded for comparable acts or heroism that aren't directly in combat, and may be by civilians. A firefighter or a bomb disposal expert are possible examples. The association for holders of the awards is for both.)

But if you aren't reporting a Medal of Honor, then anything else isn't going to make it. I'm actually surprised you don't get those reported by at least some of the mainstream media, it's rare enough, good human interest, and national pride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools

Hopefully accepting a VC won't prove more dangerous than earning one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

Let's see. NY Times circulated nationally reported:

9/15/11 MoH awarded to Corporal Meyer for action in Afghanistan

2/11/13 MoH awarded to Staff Sgt Romesha for action in Afghanistan

5/13/14 MoH awarded to Sgt White for action in Afghanistan

9/15/14 MoH awarded to Spec. Sloan and Sgt Adam for action in Vietnam

11/14 MoH awarded to Lt. Cushing for action during the American Civil War.

Not that most Americans pay attention given the crappy sensationally laden quality of most reporting these days it is at least demonstrably true that national news outlets do indeed contribute something regarding Medal of Honor winners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Shit, most people I know didn't realize that there was a big strike that had closed up the Port of Los Angeles. Instead, everyone is talking about whether or not Kanye should apologize to Beck.

Ah well.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31626357

Obviously I don't mean this specific report (I decided before Googling VC I would use the first relevant hit I found) but the event, which has a US connection. No one here has commented, so I thought I'd ask how it's playing, or indeed if it's playing.

(You can be sure that were it the other way round it would get reported here, though not first item on news as this has been.)

Wasn't reported.

This wasn't either
http://www.history.army.mil/moh/afghanistan.html

(Congressional Medal of Honor Winners for Afghanistan).

Nor medal winners from any other country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

What?

Yes, for you libs it does.

Who are you? Give Slater his computer back. Slater would be agreeing and piling on at just how racist America is, as if it had anything at all to do with my response.

Not in this thread I would not, I would say the same, take your US politics and shove it.

This is not about the USA, or politicians but a very brave man whose actions deserve more respect then you are giving them.

The question WAS about the USA.

I could have just said no, but I elaborated. We (locally) have had MoH handed out in recent years. It only makes the local media.

You are welcome.
It was not about US politics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

I haven't double checked every response, but I think it probably is.

Here a Victoria Cross or, probably, a George Cross, is automatically newsworthy. Other awards need an extra hook.

(The George Cross is awarded for comparable acts or heroism that aren't directly in combat, and may be by civilians. A firefighter or a bomb disposal expert are possible examples. The association for holders of the awards is for both.)

But if you aren't reporting a Medal of Honor, then anything else isn't going to make it. I'm actually surprised you don't get those reported by at least some of the mainstream media, it's rare enough, good human interest, and national pride.
They are

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/02/02/texas-declares-ch...

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/24794042/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.