Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Hey -- I have license to WebFOCUS including its Active Reports and Visual Discovery. This is a mega-industrial strength reporting tool and would like to put geek data through it to see if I can pick out trends or commonalities. You know, make pretty graphs and reports. Other people seem to have access to data from the geek -- where do they get this? Are they screen-scraping or is there a utility specifically for pulling down games played, games owned, games rated, etc.?

Any help someone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a read o' this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/xmlapi/

(Some programming skills required.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the API is user- and game-focused. It won't let you pull down large, arbitrary datasets like the kind you need to do real statistical analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Yeah, that won't be sufficient to do trending or relationships. Thanks anyway guys!
    I thought it was a bit optimistic to think that the data would be so readily available, but I thought there might be a chance for the game list and the user list and their relationship. But I figured I'd give it a try.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spitzley
United States
Belleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
Yeah, that won't be sufficient to do trending or relationships. Thanks anyway guys!
I thought it was a bit optimistic to think that the data would be so readily available, but I thought there might be a chance for the game list and the user list and their relationship. But I figured I'd give it a try.

Well, if nothing else, you've made it known that there's a motivated BGG member with industrial strength statistical software, so it's always possible Aldie will contact you about cooking up some data squeezin's for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.