Subject: Best shuffle method for ensuring maximum randomness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ut drmac
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello all,
My son and I play Munchkin on a regular basis. We have the first 5 expansion packs. This is almost 400 door cards alone. Assuming a human hand can best shuffle 60 cards at a time, what's the best method to splitting up the shuffling to ensure maximum distribution and randomness?

Do you divide up the 400 into stacks of 60, shuffle those 60 a couple times then just stack them back up randomly?

What methods do you all use to shuffle so many cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "mess shuffle" is the only fast way to shuffle that many cards as randomly as possible.

Put the cards in the middle of the table and literally swirl them around each other for a couple of minutes (the more people, the better), then collect them in small piles from random places at the table and stack them randomly.

Note that this assumes that you are okay with cards getting handled like this. I have not had any permanently bent cards from this, but the edges wear down on some cards from sliding them around each other.

If you want a more traditional and less destructive way to do it, then random stacks of cards shuffled together (does not have to be exactly 60, just random shuffles) and split into halves that are traded to mix the cards up and shuffle the new halves. Repeat each step at least 7 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Or get a big, wide box lid and put all the cards in. Then slide it back and forth and around, making sure the cards get a chance to pass each other. Then tilt it to one corner and shake to get them into a sloppy pile. Neaten up the pile and go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
An adult with usual-sized hands should easily be able to riffle shuffle ~150 unsleeved cards at a time (if not ~200), perhaps with just a teensy bit of practice.

Swap out half the deck after each shuffle, do it a dozen or so times; done.

Of course, with Munchkin, the preferred randomization method is 52-Card-Pickup-Stylee. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Oxley
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a battery powered card shuffler at a church rummage sale for $.25. They are available new in places like Walmart for under $5. Run them through that twice and you should have a good shuffle. So many of the games I play are card driven that I needed something like this, and it just made Munchkin play that much easier.

Tom Oxley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some mechanical shufflers will nick up the edges or abrade the faces of your cards. When I tried a mechanical shuffler I took a deck of cards I didn't care about in there (a proper deck that was missing a couple cards) and ran it through a couple dozen times. When I saw the edges of the cards I decided to take the thing back.

Some with the soft wheels might be okay, but give the thing a test before putting any precious cards in it. Munchkin cards are mostly replaceable, unlike, say Up Front cards, but if you have some oop Munchkin cards or promo cards you might want to be careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.