Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small minions, but big ambition!

Went mardi gras theme for King in Yellow. He does indeed like to PARTY!

Custom desecration tokens in action. Can't recommend the 40mm "Secret Weapon" bases more. Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The King in.... green? Heresy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i hear anymore of that, I'll add a yellow wash!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nunez
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I luv it! And its a big yes from me Ben But lets get Cthulhu and his crew first...Great work!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airbrushed yellow so Hastur won't be upset!

Now fortified with 100% more yellow-y goodness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen the Yellowish Sign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few thoughts, as a fellow artist. I've been struggling to do many of these figures justice, but if you want a couple pictures of my work, I just put up my 1-cost monsters a little while ago.
As always, do your thing, and take all advice with a grain of salt.

The Byakhee: They look pretty sweet (despite having no real hints of yellow to reflect their faction color). I love the dark, almost metallic look that they have, and they really seem menacing. I might suggest a very light yellow wash on them, but leaving it off would not be an injustice to them.

The Cultists: Also, done fairly well. A bit dark and dingy compared to the others I've seen, but I absolutely love it, actially, especially when sat next to the Byakhee, with an equally dark theme. It almost looks like a futuristic, sci-fi sort of feel, with lots of grit (If you've never heard of CthulhuTech, an RPG in this vein, look it up. these two minis would be perfect for it).

The Undead: I feel that these were a highly rushed job. They look incomplete by miles. There is a lot of detail and cool little things in these guys that you could explore, and it seems like you were content to just throw a few washes on them. In addition, they sharply stick out compared to the first two. I would expect the Undead, of all units, to be the most dingy, dirty, or vile. They are rotting, infected, squamous, and slimy. Instead, these just look rather bland and uninteresting, with oddly bright green tongues. Go with a dark purple, a grey, or even a black with your current color scheme. I chose a bluish color for mine, but I don't think that color choice would go well for the palette you've set up.

Hastur: Also looks like a real rush job, only a few little details and some shading added. You stuck mostly with the faction color, and I can't tell if you've even primed the mini and re-painted it. It looks like you just washed over the base color. Hastur is THE SCARIEST great old one in the game, second to none in power or mobility. He should look intimidating, not a 55-year-old woman who works at a customer service call center.
I would color him in a similar fashion to the byakhee. More greys, more browns, lots of contrast. Make him dark, scary, and ominous. Make the teeth look intimidating, the eyes maddening. You could go with reds, oranges and yellows for the eyes, or even cool blues and greens if you like that palette, as long as you add depth and feel.

The King in Yellow: I love the flesh on the KiY himself, it seems like a very good color with great shading. It has a subtle nod to the faction color, and looks like pale, gaunt flesh. The tentacles on his neck are maybe a little too bright and vibrant, I think, making it look far too cartoony, too friendly. And the teal/green tattered garments are... it is just.... I agree with Reddish. It IS heresy. I absolutely do not like that color scheme with him, and I feel like it does a severe injustice to the faction as a whole. the KiY IS the faction, in every way. He's usually the first unit you summon, and 4 of your 6 spellbooks depend on him. People will see him out every game, all game, and should be striking fear into his enemies. If you were trying to go for a joke palette for kicks, you nailed it. It doesn't look serious, it's ridiculous, especially compared with the amazingly dark and gritty look of the cultists and byakhee. If I didn't know better, I'd think that 2 different artists did the KiY and Hastur vs. the cultists and byakhee.

Take a look at Richard Luong's print of the KiY to get a good feel for this guy's color palette. Dark yellows, oranges, browns, greys, and sickly flesh tones and bones. If painted up in the same way, with the same style as the byakhee, this guy would be phenomenal. Priceless.

As stated before, take it with a grain of salt. If you have a theme and an idea that you like, go for it and roll with it. These are only my opinions. Your technique is great, you know how to shade, how to wash, and many other tricks. I just really, really disagree with your color palette, and the lack of attention to detail on some of the pieces.

Happy painting, and keep putting up your work, I really do like seeing the directions that other artists go with their units, it makes me think, and gives me ideas. Right on!

Edit: P.S. Investing in a decent set of files, sandpaper, or even just an exacto knife would go miles for you as well. Those mold lines on the plastic can really detract. I love the byakhee, but on closer inspection, the mold lines really make me want to cry. Spend the 30 minutes or so on your units to file/shave them down. It doesn't need to be perfect, but a little effort goes a long way to concealing them. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that Yellow isn't the primary color for the faction bothers me more than it should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Anthony!

Couldn't take the time to do all your suggestions for a $60 commission but i agree with your basic ideas! Keep sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

I'd have to respectfully disagree. The undead are yellow, the cultists are yellow, Hastur is yellow, and my winged monstrosities are basecoated brown with gold and yellow highlights.

Girlfriend pleeezzeee, don't put me in the "one color only" closet.

For one color the plastic can stay unpainted. Just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying that it should only be one color, but at a glance, the undead look green, as do the Byhakke. I get you want them to look nice, but if you're using them for game pieces as well, it can create issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they look good for the level of quality paid for. I'd just recommend focusing on taking pictures that are more zoomed out to the level they will typically be viewed at when on the game board. Maybe even pictures on the game board. Close up pictures are going to emphasize the details which you weren't paid to paint, while those missed details won't be as obvious on the figures at 2-3 feet away, which is about how far they will typically be when they are on the board.

As far as the colors, I prefer the faction colors to be be the dominant color, with details filled in with other colors myself for game play purposes. But really it's all about what your client wants if it's a commission job. If he wants a King in pink, or green or any other color, so be it. It is a risky move to do a custom color scheme if that isn't what he requested though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever the customer wants! I'll ask and make it happen! Good tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advice taken! Green shawl changed to yellow on king. Appreciate the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nunez
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I rather liked the "green/ greenish" tattered cloak...but hey the new look works...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell if it's just the lighting in the photos, but the skin tone seems to be a lot less yellow now. Did you repaint the skin as well, or is that just a natural effect from the change in the color scheme for the cloak/robes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Repainted the skin when i changed cloak color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Stockseth
msg tools
Ask me about Gladiators: Days of Blood and Glory
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. I like the changes a lot. The skin was great before, but I agree with the change you made. You don't to overwhelm people with the yellow. Also, the yellow highlights on the bones were a nice touch, as though the King were radiating yellow light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Anthony! Appreciate all your input!!! Will work harder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.