8 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death» Forums » Rules

Subject: Skill tests/ Looking through the door/ Depth track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mint Vision
msg tools
Hey all. 3 questions here.

When I reveal an exploration token and draw a encounter card where there is a skill test involved (ie pulling a lever), does the hero who carries out that test need to be on the map tile? Additionally, if there is a negative occurrence, does it affect every hero or only ones on that map tile (cave in)?

Looking through the door. Do I have this right? I have to stop my movement and spend my action on the edge of a map tile to reveal the next one? Does the next player to activate get to pass by the frozen previous hero?

If I max out the depth track in the hero's favor (posse marker all the way to the right) do we have still have to roll for the darkness or did we beat it?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Søndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) not sure
2) you have it right
3) yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1) I believe encounters apply to all heroes in the same WORLD, regardless of which tile they are on.

2) Heroes can move past the hero that looked through the doorway, but if the new tile is a room, none of its doorways can be looked through (and it cannot be scavenged) until it has been explored.

3) You never stop having to roll to hold back the darkness until the mission is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo
msg tools
mbmb
1. Not sure
2. I think we are play abit differently, but I am not sure which one is right. The way we played this is that:
2.1. In the model activation phase, one hero will walk toward the edge of a map tile. The other hero normally will also go toward the same edge.
2.2. Then, the search/explore phase start. Draw a map card, setup the map and put the exploration token. Reveal the token (do the test or attack)
2.3. Start a new turn. Roll for darkness, and all the heroes start move to the new map tile.
3. You still need to roll for the darkness. Once the posse marker go all the way to the right, it just stop there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
alvinltlo wrote:

2. I think we are play abit differently, but I am not sure which one is right. The way we played this is that:
2.1. In the model activation phase, one hero will walk toward the edge of a map tile. The other hero normally will also go toward the same edge.
2.2. Then, the search/explore phase start. Draw a map card, setup the map and put the exploration token. Reveal the token (do the test or attack)
2.3. Start a new turn. Roll for darkness, and all the heroes start move to the new map tile.

Actually, looking through a doorway and scavenging are the two ways you can "search", and this happens during a hero's activation, after they move. A new map tile is drawn as soon as a doorway is looked through, and a token is placed face down on the tile if it's a room. The Exploration phase of the turn is when tokens are revealed and resolved, and this only happens if there are no enemies on the board and at least one hero is on the unexplored map tile. There is always at least one hero (the one that looked through) on a new tile on the turn during which it was placed, but if, for instance, someone triggered an ambush by scavenging after the new tile was placed, then the turn ends immediately after the enemies are placed (this always happens if new enemies are added to the board during the model activation phase) and there cannot be a Room Exploration phase until after model activation phase on a turn in which there are no enemies on the board.

tl;dr: Looking through doors happens during model activation. Room Exploration happens after the activation phase, but only if there are no enemies on the board and someone is in the room.

Oh and remember no room exploration on the last turn of a fight, because recovery, catching breath, and looting ends the turn and a new one starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin Lo
msg tools
mbmb
After thinking about it, I think you are right.

I have a follow up question. For example, an encounter card sometimes it ask one random hero to perform a test. If the hero failed the test, does the negative effects all hero? or just that random hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just the random hero, unless the card says otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason you have "not sure" answers for question 1 is that it depends on the card. There are little head icon's on the cards that dictate whether it affects just the one hero, a random hero or the whole group.

So the answer to your question is, it will depend on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.