Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Machi Koro» Forums » Rules

Subject: What happens first, purple or red cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We got her into the next situation in our last play of machi koro:
Player A had a purple building which give money from the other player.

Player B Had red buildings which give money from the other player.

Both needed the money to pay the full price to the other.

The rules tell you that you have to pay first before you receive, is this the case for the start player?

Hope that the question is clear, English is not my main language.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
Avatar
mb
From the rulebook:

Quote:
It is possible that multiple types of Establishments are activated by the same die roll, in this case the Establishments are activated in the following order:

1) Restaurants (Red)
2) Secondary Industry (Green)
and Primary Industry (Blue)
3) Major Establishments (Purple)

So Player B would have to pay Player A, but if Player B did not have enough money to pay the full amount, she would only pay what she could, even if she could pay nothing.

Then, Player A would have to pay Player B, using the same rules, even using any money she received from Player B in step 1.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilona
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thnx! Couldn't find it in the Dutch manual. But didn't think of looking it up in the English manual.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
missiloon wrote:
Thnx! Couldn't find it in the Dutch manual. But didn't think of looking it up in the English manual.

It is, but worded differently.
The rule is that you pay first, then receive.

Hm, this also means a difference in rules, because it places purple buildings above blue/green.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf684 wrote:
missiloon wrote:
Thnx! Couldn't find it in the Dutch manual. But didn't think of looking it up in the English manual.

It is, but worded differently.
The rule is that you pay first, then receive.

Hm, this also means a difference in rules, because it places purple buildings above blue/green.


That is a big change from Red-Green-Blue-Purple to Red/Purple-Green-Blue.

Assuming the building effects are the same as in the English game, if you activate Purple building before Green or Blue you could use the (Purple) Business Center to swap a Blue Establishment, such as a Mine, before it pays out.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oi_you_nutter wrote:
Wulf684 wrote:
missiloon wrote:
Thnx! Couldn't find it in the Dutch manual. But didn't think of looking it up in the English manual.

It is, but worded differently.
The rule is that you pay first, then receive.

Hm, this also means a difference in rules, because it places purple buildings above blue/green.


That is a big change from Red-Green-Blue-Purple to Red/Purple-Green-Blue.

Assuming the building effects are the same as in the English game, if you activate Purple building before Green or Blue you could use the (Purple) Business Center to swap a Blue Establishment, such as a Mine, before it pays out.



The rule in the English manual is from the original Harbor Expansion text.

The original base game rule was pay first, then income. That is because the base game didn't have any purple cards that activated at the same time as other cards so it didn't matter.

As soon as the expansion came out the clarification was made. We included it in the base game manual because of the Mega Game Store promo, and because it's easier to learn the rule once and that way you aren't learning anything knew for the expansion!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Wilting
Netherlands
Vught
flag msg tools
There is nothing in the Dutch rules of either the base game or the expansion that mentions this, excapt that you pay first and then get income.

Oh man, it's White Goblin Games again. Those guys are really going to get the same reputation that Fantasy Flight Games has. That Purple and Red are triggered before Blue and Green is clear, but there is nothing on Purple being triggered before Red or vice verse. In the Dutch rules, it's not worded differently, it's not worded at all in either of the rulebooks! Are the English rules really that much clearer about that?

Let's face it, it's a typical White Goblin Games thing. If this version was published by 999 Games, then
- the box and the rulebook would be a little bit bigger,
- the storage tray would be better,
- the cards would be slightly thicker and their print made with a better quality ink (that's why I sleeved them, because it will wear off due to the shuffling when playing the expansion), and
- of course the rules would be explained with more care and more detail, not to mention with bigger text on a better background (grey and blue are not going to help me read this tiny text without fusion my head with the paper).

In the Netherlands, this game is loosely described as a fusion between the 'building' mechanics from Dominion as the minor part, because you're making your 'pool' (instead of a deck) stronger without shuffling cards again and again, and the 'developing' mechanics from Catan as the major part. Both Dominion and Catan were published by 999 Games, so implementing these mechanics into one game, such as Machi Koro, would be a small step. Unfortunately they didn't publish it, but left that job to these White Goblin... BEEEEEEEEEEP!!!

And this doesn't even seem to be the first edition. The only thing that the expansion corrects is the misprint of the Company Complex cards (translated).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
0616william wrote:
There is nothing in the Dutch rules of either the base game or the expansion that mentions this, excapt that you pay first and then get income.

Have you read the comments top to bottom? The rules as they come from the box are perfectly fine.

0616william wrote:
Oh man, it's White Goblin Games again. Those guys are really going to get the same reputation that Fantasy Flight Games has. That Purple and Red are triggered before Blue and Green is clear, but there is nothing on Purple being triggered before Red or vice verse. In the Dutch rules, it's not worded differently, it's not worded at all in either of the rulebooks! Are the English rules really that much clearer about that?

It doesn't really matter. Red only triggers on someone else's turn and purple only on your own turn. One player will never get money from both of the buildings at the same time. In other words: If it is the purple player (let's call him that) turn, he first gives money to the red players, then gets money back with his purple buildings. There is only a complex situation on a roll of 7-9 (Pizzeria/Publisher or Snackbar/Restaurant/Tax Office). In that case follow the rule to handle multiple payments counter-clockwise.

0616william wrote:
Let's face it, it's a typical White Goblin Games thing. If this version was published by 999 Games, then
- the box and the rulebook would be a little bit bigger,
- the storage tray would be better,
- the cards would be slightly thicker and their print made with a better quality ink (that's why I sleeved them, because it will wear off due to the shuffling when playing the expansion), and
- of course the rules would be explained with more care and more detail, not to mention with bigger text on a better background (grey and blue are not going to help me read this tiny text without fusion my head with the paper).

I for one am very glad the game comes in such a small box. I hate the shelf-space that Dominion and its numerous expansion take. (I prefer original boxes.)

0616william wrote:
In the Netherlands, this game is loosely described as a fusion between the 'building' mechanics from Dominion as the minor part, because you're making your 'pool' (instead of a deck) stronger without shuffling cards again and again, and the 'developing' mechanics from Catan as the major part. Both Dominion and Catan were published by 999 Games, so implementing these mechanics into one game, such as Machi Koro, would be a small step. Unfortunately they didn't publish it, but left that job to these White Goblin... BEEEEEEEEEEP!!!

And this doesn't even seem to be the first edition. The only thing that the expansion corrects is the misprint of the Company Complex cards (translated).

Dude, chill.

It sounds to me that you are a 999 fanboy that prefers to play Catan and Dominion.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsung UK
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game at the weekend, with the expansion. As far as we were concerned the rules are very clear..

You pay all your debits to the player to your right, then the next player, until either you run out of money or your debits are clear. Then you claim money from other players & the bank.

So if you owe the player to your right 3 gold, and the next player 8 gold and you only have 4 gold. The player on your right gets 3 gold, and the next player gets 1 gold (after which any remaining debit is cleared).
Then and only then would you receive money for your roll, if that was receive 1 gold from each other player you would end up with 4 gold. This is yours, never used for paying any outstanding debit.

So debits are paid in reverse turn order . I didn't think card colour ever mattered. (it might of done and we got it wrong!).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf684 wrote:
[q="0616williamIt doesn't really matter. Red only triggers on someone else's turn and purple only on your own turn. One player will never get money from both of the buildings at the same time.


The payout matters a great deal because of Blue buildings.

Lets say a Blue and a Purple activate on the same roll.

With the correct payout order - Red then Blue/Green then Purple it means other players receive income from Blue buildings before your Purple building activates. This could be the difference between no one having money and someone having a fair amount of cash to nab with your purple building.

There are buildings in Millionaire's Row that make this payout order even more critical.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a bit off topic but was brought up earlier. Why are payments for red buildings done in counter clockwise order instead of clockwise?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsung UK
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The order of payouts prevents the next player from benefiting from the previous players roll. As money is paid in full in reverse order, until all money is spent or all debts are paid.

If payments went in the same direction as play, the "luck" factor of the game would be seriously reduced. The previous player gets a bad roll, give you a lot of money.. It's your turn next, you make a reasonable roll and have a lot of coins to spend on finishing the game.

The correct payment direction, even if the player makes a bad roll and hands over enough money for the person previously to win. That person still has to survive until it's their turn (3 or 4 more rolls) to buy that final card. (during which a roll might take their money away from them).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to explain this to new players is:

On your turn, other players collect what is owed to them (in counterclockwise order) before you collect what is owed to you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.