Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some critical differences between Gods War and Cthulhu Wars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The games are so similar, people may be led into certain errors unless they understand Gods War. Here are some tips to help you along.

MOVEMENT - Gods War movement is significantly different from Cthulhu Wars. You activate an Area for movement (not a unit), by spending 1 Power. Then all your units in that Area can be chosen to move. You cannot move units in any other Area, but on the other hand, you can move multiple units for the same 1 point cost.

The units in the Area do not have to move to the same Area, nor do you have to move all the units in the Area.

BATTLE - Buildings cannot be Pained or Killed. Basically, if you have a battle with your unit(s) vs. a lone building there is no need for you to roll your combat dice.

PAINS AND RETREATS - In Gods War, when units are Pained, the opponent picks where they are pained to, and they all must go to the same Area. In addition, he can pick any adjacent Area for the retreat, including Areas containing his own units. The only exception is that a unit in Hell must retreat to the other Hell Area - they never retreat out of Hell.

GIFTS - you do not need all 6 Gifts to win the game, nor does Battle become Unlimited when you get 6 Gifts. You are motivated to gather all your Gifts nonetheless, because you get extra Power and possibly VP during the Gather & Council phases just for owning them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HOW TO DO THE GATHER PHASE
The first time through, you should do them in order. After that, you can choose to do it all simultaneously if you like, except the last segment.

1) All players earn 2 Power per type of building. If you have 6 Shrines, you get 2 Power, since you only have 1 type. If you have 1 shrine & 1 temple, you get 4 Power.

2) All players earn +1 Power for each Start Area in which they have a building. These are marked on the maps with counters. Exception - Chaos

3) Chaos only - earn +1 Power for each Chaos Nest that shares an Area with an opponent's building. Also earn +1 Power for each Imbedded Chaos Nest. Example: if Chaos has 1 Chaos Nest sharing an Area with an enemy shrine, and 1 Imbedded Nest also sharing an area, Chaos will earn +3 Power in addition to his baseline 3 Power for having only one type of building.

4) Each player earns +1 Power for each row in which he has one or more Gifts. Example: if Storm has the rightmost Gift in the top row, and in the second row, he earns +2 Power now. If instead he has both Gifts in the top row and no others, he earns +1 Power now.

5) Each player activates their Gather phase Gifts. These are designed so they do not require interaction, so just go ahead and do them simultaneously. One example is Sky's Solar Energy Gift.

6) Minimum Power rule - this works just as in Cthulhu Wars though, frankly, it is far less common.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HOW TO DO THE COUNCIL PHASE

1) the starting player is chosen, just as in Cthulhu Wars.

2) each player earns 1 VP for each building he has in play. A player with 6 shrines (only) would earn 6 VP at this time. A player with 1 shrine & 1 temple would earn 2 VP.

3) each player earns +1 VP for each row in which both Gifts are present. Example: if Storm has the rightmost Gift in the top row, and in the second row, he earns no extra VP. If instead he has both Gifts in the top row and no others, he earns +1 VP.

4) beginning with the Starting player, and then going around the table, each player enacts all of their Council phase gifts and abilities. All Council phase gifts & abilities require some kind of interaction between players. Example: Storm King's Kinship ability forces him to choose, and benefit, another player.

5) After the Council phase gifts & abilities are done, the Chaos Rift or the Great Compromise might happen, depending on where the VP track has gotten to (or whether the rift has closed).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through the rulebook, but I hadn't noticed these differences. The game is actually a lot more different than I realized.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the rules are similar but not different enough to notice immediately.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I wish was different is that "pained" results were renamed "routed" or something more fantasy battle-y. Pained works better as a retreat-inducing effect in Mythos than it does in most other settings (e.g. How many times in King of Sartar or Guide to Glorantha would that word have been used? Just seems anachronistic, if that's a word you can even apply to Glorantha or fantasy settings generally).

Obviously that's a taste thing that doesn't Impact game play though.

EDIT: does Darkness have the potential to get 12 power for having 4 types of buildings? Looks like the answer is yes?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A question about combat :

At the end of a battle, am i forced to conquer or destroy an ennemy building ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:


EDIT: does Darkness have the potential to get 12 power for having 4 types of buildings? Looks like the answer is yes?


we made the same calculus...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
stephenhope wrote:


EDIT: does Darkness have the potential to get 12 power for having 4 types of buildings? Looks like the answer is yes?


we made the same calculus...


Yes, dark can get 12 power from buildings
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
A question about combat :

At the end of a battle, am i forced to conquer or destroy an ennemy building ?


Yes. If your unit is alone with an enemy building after Battle, you must either conquer or destroy. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't want to - since either you attacked him or he attacked you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
One thing I wish was different is that "pained" results were renamed "routed" or something more fantasy battle-y. Pained works better as a retreat-inducing effect in Mythos than it does in most other settings (e.g. How many times in King of Sartar or Guide to Glorantha would that word have been used? Just seems anachronistic, if that's a word you can even apply to Glorantha or fantasy settings generally).

Obviously that's a taste thing that doesn't Impact game play though.

EDIT: does Darkness have the potential to get 12 power for having 4 types of buildings? Looks like the answer is yes?


I actually DID change Pain to Rout for a while. In the end I decided that there would be enough overlap between fans of Cthulhu Wars & Gods War that I should try to keep some common terms.

Yes, Darkness indeed has the potential for 12 power for 4 types of buildings! By design. It's one of Darkness's two "Power Boosts". The other one comes when she earns her "capture one of each enemy" Gifts (she gets a one-time boost of Power equal to the total number of players).

But every player has at least one of these. Example: Storm gets either 2 Power or a VP each turn the Thunder King is in play, plus a one-time boost from Weather Control when earned. Chaos has I Fought We Won (he only gets one power boost, because he is so cheap to play). Sky has Solar Energy. Earth has her Matrimony ability (possible Power from her chosen Spouses). Invisible God has King's Blessing. Sea has Aquatic (bonus Power from water areas). and Moon has Enslavement, where enemies have to pay to "buy back" captured units.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
A question about combat :

At the end of a battle, am i forced to conquer or destroy an ennemy building ?


Yes. If your unit is alone with an enemy building after Battle, you must either conquer or destroy. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't want to - since either you attacked him or he attacked you!


For Chaos,if i destroy ennemy building, i lose one PP because no more ennemy building in the area : so there is a reason or maybe i misunderstood...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The current rulebook says may though, which directly contradicts the designers whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying, Sandy! I can understand the thought process, certainly. I find it quite jarring but I'm sure I'll get used to it over time. Looking forward to this one!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
existoid wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
A question about combat :

At the end of a battle, am i forced to conquer or destroy an ennemy building ?


Yes. If your unit is alone with an enemy building after Battle, you must either conquer or destroy. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't want to - since either you attacked him or he attacked you!


For Chaos,if i destroy ennemy building, i lose one PP because no more ennemy building in the area : so there is a reason or maybe i misunderstood...


That is true, but Chaos would not often attack in this situation. As you correctly say, he would lose a Power, so he doesn't typically have a reason to attack an empire with which he shares an Area with his nests. He might Battle in such a case to increase Ragnaglar's counter, but I can't think of another reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:


I actually DID change Pain to Rout for a while. In the end I decided that there would be enough overlap between fans of Cthulhu Wars & Gods War that I should try to keep some common terms.



On the other hand, Pain in CW works differently from Pains in The Gods War, so...maybe it should use a different term so that it is less confusing, if you play both games!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
... He might Battle in such a case to increase Ragnaglar's counter, but I can't think of another reason.


Hé ! hé ! That's exactly what i am doing in the First PBF game devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowing to the intense pressure in this thread, I have gone through the Gods War rules & faction sheets & spellbooks and changed "Pain" to "Rout" in every case.

Also there are other reasons besides Chaos that you might not want to destroy or conquer a building. For example, say that you have a potentially vulnerable Temple - if you destroy an enemy Temple when he has no more in his pool, he can now conquer your Temple and replace it with his own. Whereas if he could only destroy your temple, he might not bother, and look elsewhere for his jollies.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just some quick impressions (compared to CW):
- the game is a little bit slower due to more complex gather and council phase ;
- the game is more combat-prone because of cheap combat move (i like that) ;
- but PP gains seems a little bit more Stable ;
- Chaos must be targeted at the beginning of the game to weaken his capacity to slow down the closure of the Rift.
- Map Design : i find that strange that almost no Homeland terriories are in the southern continent...

other idea : any event cards schedules (yes i am obsessed whistle) ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Schep
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the map feels really big in the early game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
Likes: Mountains, Tundra Turn-offs: Serpents, Marsh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Sandy! I will tell my team of 1000 scribes to hold off on the letter-writing campaign until I find another nit to pick.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Robertson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
Just some quick impressions (compared to CW):
- the game is a little bit slower due to more complex gather and council phase ;
- the game is more combat-prone because of cheap combat move (i like that) ;
- but PP gains seems a little bit more Stable ;
- Chaos must be targeted at the beginning of the game to weaken his capacity to slow down the closure of the Rift.
- Map Design : i find that strange that almost no Homeland terriories are in the southern continent...

other idea : any event cards schedules (yes i am obsessed whistle) ?

This game often results in more negotiations between player factions. And I've found that this mechanic is more enjoyable for longer game sessions. Our first game during my January trip was a rather HUGE upset due to my interference. I was playing as the "Earth" faction.

Moon and Sky were both within points of winning the game. Most of Moon's army was hemmed up in Kralorela after repeated attacks. Sky decided to execute an "ALL IN" attack. This would have easily won him the game.

So... I showed the Dark player a "ONE TIME USE" Gift that I had not used. You could just see the venom dripping from his ghastly smile! Sky went to attack. I executed "PACIFISM". This is a nasty ability that allows the "Earth" player to negate all the combat rolls of given faction in "ONE" battle of his choice... Even if he is NOT a part of said battle! Needless to say... Moon rolled a ton of KILLS and Sky took a dirt nap. Shortly after Moon's turn, Dark ANNIHILATED Moon as I had already planned out. This turn of events won Dark the game!

What did I enjoy most about this particular game session? The fact that I didn't have to WIN in order to have LOADS of fun! That and the Dark player's victory "HUZZAH!"

Cthulhu Wars! Game responsibly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Valandor wrote:
I agree that the map feels really big in the early game.


But note, that you can build a shrine anywhere, without a unit present. Then, you can begin building units at that shrine. So, spreading out across the map in early game is actually far easier than in CW.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
Just some quick impressions (compared to CW):
- Map Design : i find that strange that almost no Homeland terriories are in the southern continent...


To be fair there is only a single Homeland territory on the northern continent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
Just some quick impressions (compared to CW):
- the game is a little bit slower due to more complex gather and council phase ;
- the game is more combat-prone because of cheap combat move (i like that) ;
- but PP gains seems a little bit more Stable ;
- Chaos must be targeted at the beginning of the game to weaken his capacity to slow down the closure of the Rift.

other idea : any event cards schedules (yes i am obsessed whistle) ?


I agree with all of these remarks except the part about targeting Chaos. Whether or not Chaos needs to be attacked in the early game really depends on what is going on, the map position, and so forth. Remember that the Power spent eliminating a Chaos Nest could have been spent planting a new Shrine of your own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.