Subject: Re-playability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Way back in the day I had a Gettysburg computer game. It was a nice one and all and it only had one problem. The problem was that after playing it a few times game play fell into kind of a formula, that after a while I found myself doing the same moves and taking the same actions and achieving (mostly) the same results. That it was really a puzzle and once I saw the solution it was next to imposable to make other strategic/tactical choices. I kind of get that feeling about this. It looks great and I want it but re-playability is very important. I want a new game every time. It has to last me a LOOOONG time. I get this with Hornet Leader in that there is enough randomness and things changing and choice to keep it fresh every time. Even though I can play the same scenario and mission, it's random and vague enough to feel new every time. With new choices to make every time. Am I wrong about FC:N? I am NOT the kind of gamer that can say "I got 20+ plays out of this game. It's OK that it feels stagnant now. I'll just buy a new one". For those of you that have played FC:N what is your opinion? How fresh does each play feel?

-zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 11 campaigns, and while the general overall strategy for each scenario may remain the same in some cases, the individual battle outcomes make each one unique; they can force you to adopt an entirely new approach based on the outcome of a single fight, so that what worked in one play may not be an option the next time you play that scenario.

That said, even though I think it's a brilliant game and one of my all time favorites, it sounds like you're looking for something more dynamic than replaying historical scenarios, which FC: N certainly is. Its scenario based nature prevents it from being a "new game every time".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also,
the campaigns are very different with special rules; for example the egypt campaign is really cruel regarding reinforcements and damag because of exhaustion.
In spain, enemies pop up everywhere, until Napoleon arrives and helps you out.
Often there are trigger events, which require other strategies as before.
Also, Napoleon has a different strategy value in most campaigns, so the success of certain Battle Plans is questionable in some campaigns.

While a single campaign can be "puzzled" out, the game itself will carry for way more than 20 plays! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.