Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I've placed 9 orders with ThoughtHammer, and used them far more than any other retailer. I recently placed an order with CardHaus for stuff that ThoughtHammer didn't have, and I was thoroughly impressed with the condition of everything inside of the CardHaus box.

It got me thinking... does ThoughtHammer beat up their games more than other retailers? Is my memory of damaged goods from ThoughtHammer exaggerated from reality? It seems to me that with every TH order, I will one or two games with smashed corners, caved-in boxes, etc, etc.

Mind you, it's never been so bad that I was willing to go thru the hassle for a return. I'm just wondering if others have had the same experience, or if I'm just a bit crazy.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my last order several of the game boxes were slightly squished, with creased covers. Annoying but the games were all playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ordered from them a few times so far and each time everything was okay, knock on wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered 3 times from them and never had a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Vecere
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have never had a problem. I have ordered many items. You should look in to ups handling your items. You probably had Jim Carry as a delivery guy(kicking your items up and down the road).Just kidding...It was Doug for sure from King of Queens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered with them twice at least, and no such problems for me, FWIW. They are, in fact, my favorite on-line retailer, although I do most of my new game purchases at my FLGS. When I go OLGS, I go Thoughthammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from Thought Hammer six times, and have been very impressed by how well they've packaged my games every time. I haven't had any problems with smashed corners or caved-in boxes. I did recently check out CardHaus after reading about it on here, but while they had some things for 50 cents to $1 cheaper than Thought Hammer, their website was so difficult to navigate and I couldn't figure out how to save my cart that I ended up just going with Thought Hammer in the end for my big order last week. Here's hoping that they pack everything well again this time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple orders: I've never had a problem with TH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Hill
United States
Warrensburg
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiple items no problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from them at least half a dozen times. Easily half of those arrived with damaged games. Fortunately, they've never given me any trouble about replacing the games, which is nice. This means I still am happy to purchase from them.

To be fair, I have had games arrive damaged from other online retailers, all of whom have been quite friendly regarding replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
I ended up just going with Thought Hammer in the end for my big order last week.

spill the beans....what did you order? Just curious that's all.

I've never had a problem with thoughthammer....cardhaus I could have sworn used to have for a limited time $150 free shipping but no more. I'm glad fairplay seems to have kept their $150 free shipping. Man anyone remember the good old days $99 free shipping from thoughthammer....now it's $125.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Ms. Herwoo, I don't know what there is to complaian about. At least you can afford to order a billion dollars of games at once!

=)

All joking aside, every order I have ever placed on-line (with the exception of my first, Clans, from fairplay) I have gone through thoughthamer. I have always found my boxes packed to perfection, and never gotten a damaged copy. Whenever I have had a question for thoughthammer Christy has responded to me within 24 hours and been helpful and accomodating and I am sure they would be about damaged games as well. What you are describing could certainly be frustrating, but I for one have never had an issue with TH and as it stands right now they are far and away my top choice for where to buy games.

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silverdragon
United States
Unspecified
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes. I've been ordering from ThoughtHammer and have not had any problem. Everything packaged in peanuts. Makes me worry though....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sorbello
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've done 17 orders and never had a problem...
I also never had any problem witn any other retailer...
They all seem to package their games well!
Maybe you're just unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made around 2k worth of orders and no problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinay Chandrasekhar
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No problems here too...I have ordered about 6 times with them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msherwoo wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've placed 9 orders with ThoughtHammer, and used them far more than any other retailer. I recently placed an order with CardHaus for stuff that ThoughtHammer didn't have, and I was thoroughly impressed with the condition of everything inside of the CardHaus box.

It got me thinking... does ThoughtHammer beat up their games more than other retailers? Is my memory of damaged goods from ThoughtHammer exaggerated from reality? It seems to me that with every TH order, I will one or two games with smashed corners, caved-in boxes, etc, etc.

Mind you, it's never been so bad that I was willing to go thru the hassle for a return. I'm just wondering if others have had the same experience, or if I'm just a bit crazy.

Mike

After my godawful February 2006 experience with Thought Hammer and its shipping service of choice, FedEx Ground Delivery, NOTHING would surprise me about the condition that your games arrive in. I mean *absolutely nothing* would surprise me at all.

For example, after my missing game order finally arrived out of the blue after some 15 days in FedEx Ground Delivery limbo, two of my games' condition raised questions in my mind. The first was that my copy of the "Mamma Mia!" card game either had been opened sometime by some unknown somebody while it was in transit OR Thought Hammer shipped me a returned, already-opened copy of the game. (Its outer cellophane-wrap cover had been removed; the box lid was bent in such a way to indicate that it had been awkwardly forced open; and it was missing its rules sheet.) When I notified Thought Hammer's Christi, one of the co-owners, by email about this, she simply told me that I could email Rio Grande Games to get a replacement rules sheet. However, Christi didn't ask me any follow-up questions about the condition of the shipping box. Indeed, in my opinion, because of her lack of follow-up on the matter, Christi didn't seem concerned at all.

For if she had shown some modicum of concern, she certainly should have been inquisitive and asked me to confirm and verify that all my order's products had arrived intact, safe and complete. Rather, it was I myself who was asking her about how they shipped their games in the boxes. (According to Christi, they prefer to stack games on their sides in the shipping box.)

But then again, by this time, for all intents and purposes, Christi had abandoned me as a customer and I had had to fend for myself in investigating and locating the whereabouts and shipping route that my missing FedEx order had disappeared into.

The second game of my shipment which raised questions in my mind was "Hive" which, to the best of my recollection, didn't have any cellophane covering around it. I surmised that it might have been a demo/review copy or a dinged/dented copy of the game. Since its plastic inset hex-pieces holder was cracked, I attributed it to the box's being jostled around. Since I usually dispense with plastic components holder insets out of game boxes anyway, the cracked inset holder was no big issue to me. Still, I at least gave Thought Hammer some undeserving benefit of the doubt that they might have sent me their own review/demo copy of "Hive" because the game had only then-recently been released and was probably in short supply. But after my misadventures with Thought Hammer and FedEx Ground Delivery, it was difficult to be so magnanimous as to give either of them the benefit of the doubt about anything more whatsoever. At least FedEx Ground Delivery's Quality Controls Person did finally and straightforwardly acknowledge their shipping mistakes and apologized for the egregious errors, including those committed by the FedEx agent whose reprehensibly incomprehensible scapegoating of UPS Christi of Thought Hammer had bought into just the same despite her having personally been told a wildly conflicting story by another FedEx agent just days before.

For more info about that sorry February 2006 episode with Thought Hammer, check out the following posts of mine at the following links:

> My Post of Mon Sep 25,2006 12:16 am at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/102854/page/2

> My Posts of Tue Oct 3,2006 at both 02:08 am and 11:00 pm at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/102854/page/3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catch-22 wrote:
I actually had this problem with one of my two orders from them. I did a $130 order so had about 7 games. They started well with the bottom of the box well covered with styrofoam peanuts, and had 3 sides well covered, but they packed it so tight that the last game in the row was squished flat to the fourth side of the box with no styrofoam inbetween (indicating an obviously rushed shipping job by someone who didn't want to take the time to do it over correctly). I certainly found that quite irresponsible and it disgusted me, but I had decided to write that game off as a "player's copy". Hearing that others are having such an issue is making me consider trying any other retailer who puts more thought into their packaging.

When you said you wrote off that squashed game as a "player's copy," are you suggesting that you thought you'd received a demo/review copy of the game which had already been opened and used? (If not, then what exactly did you mean?)

I was told by Christi of Thought Hammer that they stack games on their sides in the shipping box. I kept the shipping box from my godawful February 2006 experience with Thought Hammer as I'm still investigating some things concerning how it got either mis-routed or misplaced. There are some curious markings on it that FedEx Ground Delivery was unable to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had 9 orders from Thoughthammer and have not had a single dented box. I guess you have just been unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
henwy wrote:
I've made around 2k worth of orders and no problems.

2k? Holy crap! Adopt me, please.

Oh, and no problems with any of my Thoughthammer orders either. Cardhaus is local so I get visit them in person once in a while, but for big orders Thoughthammer still beats Cardhaus for total price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
I've ordered from Thought Hammer six times, and have been very impressed by how well they've packaged my games every time. I haven't had any problems with smashed corners or caved-in boxes. I did recently check out CardHaus after reading about it on here, but while they had some things for 50 cents to $1 cheaper than Thought Hammer, their website was so difficult to navigate and I couldn't figure out how to save my cart that I ended up just going with Thought Hammer in the end for my big order last week. Here's hoping that they pack everything well again this time

I have the same complaint with CH. I have ordered from them before but finding things on their site is a challenge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About 12 orders over the last couple years, and absolutely not a single scratch, dent, or other imperfection in a shipped game. And most of these were multiple game shipments to get the free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems here, and I have placed most of my orders through TH. Cardhaus has always done well too. Amazingly, the only one I have had a problem with was Games Surplus which sent me a damaged copy of Diamant and would not respond to my email inquiry regarding it. The shipping box was ok, so it had to occur from them.

Eitherway, my TH orders have always been carfully packed and rec'd as expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ernst
United States
Morrison
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had a problem but I rarely order more than one game at a time. Maybe this only happens when ThoughtHammer tries to put several games in one package.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Manwarren
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
My last order (for 8 games) from ThoughtHammer had 2 games squished. Robo Rally was packed on the bottom of the box with everything else on top of it. Nothing major, and I wasn't about to complain.

This is the first time out of 8 orders that I had any damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.