jonky jonkerson
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I love goooooooooooooooooold
mbmbmbmbmb
We are all seasoned gamers.

Because of all the attacking and useless cards it took forever just to build 1 ship.

Is it really 2 Workers AND 2 Gold?

I like this game, I'm just wondering why it took so long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your not the only one finding 4/5 player games to take longer than expected. In some cases I've noticed that some rules have been missed. But largely it comes down to experience and the mix of players. The longest game I have ever had was around 90min. 5 player is usually 75min. But I am a fast player.

For a quicker game, perhaps allow players to discard ships and craftsmen from their boards to allow for new ones, without the use of a Barbarian/Assassin. New players tend to fill up these too quickly without planning ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, our first game was a five player game and it took about 2 hours, but we put that down to us messing up and referring back to the rules. We're pretty sure it would take about 90 minutes next time. Less if people don't dawdle over picking their cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boon Yeo
Malaysia
Selangor
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Our games (5 players and 4-players) all too a long time. We felt that it was due to the limited resources and the sabotage that happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always warn new people I play with to be careful about filling up craftsmen and boats early in the game - however this sometimes doesn't speed the game up.

More people definitely cause this game to clock in more time, but I've also had some stretchers with only 3.

I've house ruled a couple of variants that have sped the game up significantly while not really taking anything away from the game itself for my group

1 - Both the draw deck and the face down discard pile are in the market (you choose which card you want to buy from [I'm also pondering making the discard deck 1 gold extra to buy from as in some cases the market was too bountiful])

2 - Fast Game Variant: Once 4 ships TOTAL are built trigger end game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McKane
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had a similar experience with my group. We came up with some house rules that were similar to the ones posted in the file section below.

Player Aide and Variants

We also decided to use simultaneous drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Freeman
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had another 5 player game last night and all agreed that next time it would be better to have each player draft four cards and pass them round til they have three and discard the fourth.

We also thought it might help speed it up if you can gain resources or money for discarding cards. Discard your whole hand and get three gold, discard two cards and get a resource of your choice... that kind of thing.

I'm gonna check out the variants mentioned now to see what others have said though. I really want to play the game more, but at 2+ hours (and that was to build three ships, not four!) we just won't get it to table over other stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After listening to all the feedback on Shipwrights over the past year, I came up with this - https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/176617/ship...

It's available for just $12NZD in the current Raiders campaign - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1580013233/raiders-of-t...

I addresses a lot of the issues people had with the length and wasted turns in Shipwrights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.